Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
StripperSalad

German or Russian DD's ? USS PENNSYLVANIA suggestion

16 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
131 battles

Simple question, which one should i go down and why please, thank you.

also they should add the USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) cause its my home state and it was a cool battle ship constructed in 1913 and she was a class of United States Navy super-dreadnought battleships... i feel like she would be a cool tier 5 or 6 US premium...

Fun fact about the BB-38: she was sunk kwajalein Atoll because of a nuclear bomb testing in 1948

• Boring 1

Members
1,080 posts
3 minutes ago, StripperSalad said:

also they should add the USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) cause its my home state and it was a cool battle ship constructed in 1913 and she was a class of United States Navy super-dreadnought battleships... i feel like she would be a cool tier 5 or 6 US premium...

We've already got Arizona, we don't need the other Pennsylvania-class Battleship for the time being.

• Cool 1

Members
1,131 posts
3,141 battles

Russian DDs are really fun at low tiers (2-4), not that great at 5 and 6, and really good from 7-10 on the main line. I'm not sure about the other line, but they seem to be good as well. The soviet destroyers play more like cruisers since their torps aren't good but they are very fast with good guns. German destroyers seem to be more like American destroyers. They are all around good ships and get hydro. You can't go wrong with either line. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,453 battles

Germans if you like stealth gameplay but still want to shoot things when the chance comes up.

Russian if you want everything to be on fire and wish to be relevant in a high radar enviornment.

Though the Grozevoi can do the stealth role currently as well.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles
2 hours ago, StripperSalad said:

Simple question, which one should i go down and why please, thank you.

Fun fact about the BB-38: she was sunk kwajalein Atoll because of a nuclear bomb testing in 1948

I have a feeling we'll eventually see her in a second US BB line with her 1942 refit (the dual 5 inch mounts) as her final hull to differentiate her from the New Mexico.

I'm hoping anyway.  If you have time, go to the Military Museum in Boalsburg.  It's got alot of history about her there.  

edit: wrong refit year, thanks Umikami

Edited by Hatework
  • Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles
38 minutes ago, zFireWyvern said:

We've already got Arizona, we don't need the other Pennsylvania-class Battleship for the time being.

Correction, YOU don't need her.  She's my favorite BB.  I need her lol

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,856 battles
43 minutes ago, Hatework said:

She's my favorite BB.

Then Buy Arizona and get Aslains mod to change the name.

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Then Buy Arizona and get Aslains mod to change the name.

Arizona is not Pennsylvania.  I had to have this talk with my brother in law two years ago.  They didnt even look close to one another by wars end (arguably by the end of the day Dec 7th...)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,856 battles
11 minutes ago, Hatework said:

They didnt even look close to one another by wars end

Of course not, as Pennsylvania received a massive rework Arizona did not receive, for obvious reasons. But they looked remarkably similar on December 6, 1941. If you wanted the upgraded version you should have said that, as they are the two, and only, ships in their class.

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts
131 battles

i still think they could potentially add a second US BB line like suggested in the comments, and the PA could be the tier 6

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles
17 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Of course not, as Pennsylvania received a massive rework Arizona did not receive, for obvious reasons. But they looked remarkably similar on December 6, 1941. If you wanted the upgraded version you should have said that, as they are the two, and only, ships in their class.

I thought i had,but checking my post, i put in the wrong year.  Oddly, i did say the dual 5 inch mounts.  Should have proofread my post better.

[DWB76]
[DWB76]
Members
11 posts
2,224 battles
25 minutes ago, Hatework said:

I thought i had,but checking my post, i put in the wrong year.  Oddly, i did say the dual 5 inch mounts.  Should have proofread my post better.

Too bad WG couldn't make them more like the real thing though.  If my memory is correct, the Pennsylvania class BB's had a torpedo tube.

Members
52 posts
5,832 battles
2 hours ago, DWB31976 said:

Too bad WG couldn't make them more like the real thing though.  If my memory is correct, the Pennsylvania class BB's had a torpedo tube.

95% (Or higher) of WW1 vintage BBs had fixed torpedo launchers onboard. The trend mostly ended in the 20's, however some (Such as HMS Rodney, which torp'd Bismarck) still carried them. 

That said, WG has already said that they would not be including any such submerged fixed torpedo launchers in the game. Ships like Gneisenau/Scharnhorst/Tirpitz/Mustu/Kii were designed/constructed/refitted with deck mounted torpedo systems. Case in point, Mutsu actually had 8 Tubes - 4 Per side, 2 on deck, 2 submerged. The 4 tubes mounted on deck are the only launchers useable in-game.

• Cool 2

[DWB76]
[DWB76]
Members
11 posts
2,224 battles
12 hours ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

95% (Or higher) of WW1 vintage BBs had fixed torpedo launchers onboard. The trend mostly ended in the 20's, however some (Such as HMS Rodney, which torp'd Bismarck) still carried them. 

That said, WG has already said that they would not be including any such submerged fixed torpedo launchers in the game. Ships like Gneisenau/Scharnhorst/Tirpitz/Mustu/Kii were designed/constructed/refitted with deck mounted torpedo systems. Case in point, Mutsu actually had 8 Tubes - 4 Per side, 2 on deck, 2 submerged. The 4 tubes mounted on deck are the only launchers useable in-game.

Oh okay, thanks for the info.

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
On 6/28/2018 at 2:42 AM, Hatework said:

Arizona is not Pennsylvania.  I had to have this talk with my brother in law two years ago.  They didnt even look close to one another by wars end (arguably by the end of the day Dec 7th...)

Arizona is kind of a mashup actually. She never had the radar antenna on her tripod foremast or any quad 1.1" anti-aircraft gun. Pennsylvania, on the other hand, did receive both during repairs after Pearl Harbor. So in a way, the in-game Arizona is actually Pennsylvania. She's not the modernized Pennsylvania, but it's her nonetheless. She's just missing her 20mm Oerlikons and the 5" gun shields. Both BBs were scheduled to be refitted in early 1942, but only Pennsylvania lived to see it. WG's version of Arizona is just another "what if".

Here's the 1.1" AA guns. Note the date, 2 March 1942.

013803g.jpg

And there's the radar antenna on her tripod foremast.

013838.jpg

Members
2 posts
8,294 battles

I would also like to see the USS PENNSYLVANIA in WoW, but in her 1944 configuration. I think that updated version would be a nice addition to the game.

VXSta5K.png

Sign in to follow this