You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

USS Salem Review and Discussion - Megaheal at the cost of Radar

54 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,726 battles

RN Mega Heal: Check

Nerfed 8.5 km radar: Check

Horrible T10 economy: Check

Worth it?  Eh...  Thoughts in video.

• Cool 2

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles
1 minute ago, NoZoupForYou said:

:thinking:

obviously im not expecting another missouri, but is this ship's credit gain bad?

id expect at least kronstadt level of credit gain

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles

The RN heal would more than make up for the gimped radar but nothing makes up for the lack of premium economy bonuses. Glad this came out before I had enough to get her, this pretty much ensures she’s a skip for me.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,834 posts

I find the lack of spotter plane disturbing. How else are you supposed to go for maximum teampley? 

GNt9wBQ.jpg

• Funny 2

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles
Just now, RipNuN2 said:

I find the lack of spotter plane disturbing. How else are you supposed to go for maximum teampley? 

By doing the same thing you could in Des Moines.

Install Gunfire Control System Mod 2 for extra range.  Better yet, your extra range is not tied down to a spotter plane and you have it all the time.

[O_O]
Members
782 posts
4,726 battles
13 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Abort!  Abort!  Bring the ship about, place all mains online and retreat at flank speed!

-R

[NMKJT]
Members
2,677 posts
23 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

This is consistent with WOT, where the T10 reward vehicles are simply vehicles you can move crew into without penalties, otherwise they are normal tanks. 

[HINON]
Members
8,834 posts
10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

By doing the same thing you could in Des Moines.

Install Gunfire Control System Mod 2 for extra range.  Better yet, your extra range is not tied down to a spotter plane and you have it all the time.

But the mod doesn't spot things . . .

ZhTsewi.jpg

[WG-CC]
1,426 posts
4,726 battles
3 hours ago, EmperorMaxwell said:

The RN heal would more than make up for the gimped radar but nothing makes up for the lack of premium economy bonuses. Glad this came out before I had enough to get her, this pretty much ensures she’s a skip for me.

Yeah, her economy is worse than a T10 with premium cammo. But, if you got the coal and collect them...  maybe?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,746 posts
9,446 battles

The gimped radar would keep me alive longer because I am not rushing forward to radar things. Super heal sounds well worth it.

Also, I'm pooping silver in my other ships. The T10 economy doesn't bother me.

[WG-CC]
1,426 posts
4,726 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

The gimped radar would keep me alive longer because I am not rushing forward to radar things. Super heal sounds well worth it.

That’s what it will pretty much come down to.  Personal taste.  Economy doesn’t bother me either, and I agree with you on the radar part.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,782 battles

I can see them being good in randoms (especially solo) since half the time nobody takes advantage of your radar anyways. However, I think the normal DM will remain in Competitive due to the radar range allowing it to have better cap coverage and a shorter window for spotting vs radar detection. 

[RKN]
Beta Testers
938 posts
8,748 battles
5 hours ago, jason199506 said:

:thinking:

obviously im not expecting another missouri, but is this ship's credit gain bad?

id expect at least kronstadt level of credit gain

5 hours ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Abort!  Abort!  Bring the ship about, place all mains online and retreat at flank speed!

-R

1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

Watch iChase’s review. At the end he shows his results screen and it displays service cost at $72k with 20% discount (normal T10 service cost is $180k). This means she has a built in 50% cost discount (same as the t10 premium camo). Add a Zulu flag or camo with economic bonus and you have the equivalent of T10 camo without having to spend 5000 doubloons.

Edited by SavageTactical

[WG-CC]
1,426 posts
4,726 battles
52 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I can see them being good in randoms (especially solo) since half the time nobody takes advantage of your radar anyways. However, I think the normal DM will remain in Competitive due to the radar range allowing it to have better cap coverage and a shorter window for spotting vs radar detection. 

Exactly my thoughts. The radar nerf is too much to make her a comp ship, but she will definitely be a good public ship.  Same DPM...  plus megaheal.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
2,152 posts
4,950 battles
5 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

This is consistent with WOT, where the T10 reward vehicles are simply vehicles you can move crew into without penalties, otherwise they are normal tanks. 

This is true.  The difference in WoWs is that premium camo can make a tier 10 economically more valuable, and this ship does not have the option to have that, as of yet...

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles

Does Kron and Stalingrad get premium Economical bonuses? If they do, there is no excuse to not give it to Salem. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,559 posts
3,734 battles
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

Watch iChase’s review. At the end he shows his results screen and it displays service cost at $72k with 20% discount (normal T10 service cost is $180k). This means she has a built in 50% cost discount (same as the t10 premium camo). Add a Zulu flag or camo with economic bonus and you have the equivalent of T10 camo without having to spend 5000 doubloons.

Actually no, a tier 10 with the premium camo will have a lower service cost than the Salem with all the bonuses equipped also the Tier 10 premium camo has +20% credit earnings to go with the -50% service cost.

A -70% service cost on a normal tier 10 would be 54k

A -30% service cost on Salem is 63k

These includes the -10% clan bonus.

The only real advantage of the Salem is the ability to use any US captains without penalty.

[WG-CC]
1,426 posts
4,726 battles
2 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Actually no, a tier 10 with the premium camo will have a lower service cost than the Salem with all the bonuses equipped also the Tier 10 premium camo has +20% credit earnings to go with the -50% service cost.

The only real advantage of the Salem is the ability to use any US captains without penalty.

This.  If you’re swimming with credits though it doesn’t really matter...

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,986 posts

The fact people are complaining about the T10 economy is how we've gotten into this mess with Tier 8 MM. Tier 10 should never be economically viable outside of well fought victories with premium time.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles
3 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

This.  If you’re swimming with credits though it doesn’t really matter...

So what you’re saying is that as long as you have lots of credits, it’s ok to falsely label Salem as a premium ship when it does not offer the premium ship benefits?

[RKN]
Beta Testers
938 posts
8,748 battles
5 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Ok I see what your saying, but you're talking 9K difference. It would take you three games to buy one consumable with that difference.  Throw on a Ocean Soul camo and Salem is for all practical purposes just as profitable as DM with the premium camo.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,559 posts
3,734 battles
5 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Ok I see what your saying, but you're talking 9K difference. It would take you three games to buy one consumable with that difference.  Throw on a Ocean Soul camo and Salem is for all practical purposes just as profitable as DM with the premium camo.

Then the service cost for Salem will be 72k at best compared to 54k on Des Moines. So it becomes an 18k difference.

[TASH]
Members
1,764 posts
3,975 battles

You may have RN super heal but you still only heal 33% of citadel damage rather than 50%

Edited by Skeem689

[WOLF2]
Members
1,119 posts
12,855 battles
4 hours ago, TornadoADV said:

The fact people are complaining about the T10 economy is how we've gotten into this mess with Tier 8 MM. Tier 10 should never be economically viable outside of well fought victories with premium time.

You're an evil person - you know that right?

Since it's the first t10 premium and hopefully gets proper t10 perm camo, I'm sure they'll fix the other issues = a buy, for me at least