Sign in to follow this  
GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Re Thinking Conqueror

18 comments in this topic

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles

So in an attempt to get out of the stigma that Conqueror can only be played with 419s and HE Spam, I have changed my build up slightly and Captains and tried a new approach.

The other day I switched up to the 457s and went with AP only for a game and afterwards said to myself can I make this work.

So then for 2 nights I played several games with the 457s and used AP only

5b3395283509e_Conq457.thumb.png.bf5ada3eefc632c4e1cd3e7e570fd5b8.png

Now 1 of these games needs to be excluded because I went back to HE for a div game but only did 105k so if you were to take that game away the average would still be the same.

Last night I played 9 more games using the 457s AP only.

5b33959936e1c_Conqueror457part2.thumb.png.ac472faa7bf11f3fdc52c1f46fadbb46.png

So that makes for a total of 15 games using 8 guns and no HE.

Now the WR Last night was not all that impressive but to me those guns did just fine and most importantly deliver devastating Citadel shots to Cruisers and Broadside BB's.

Down side to them is that against German BB's the shells when hitting the same spots as you would in lets say a Montana or a Yammy did not quite peel off the same chunks of HP you might would have imagined even when the same number of shells make contact.

Lots and Lots of Over Pens,  But then again I only have 15 total games with trying them so I am still learning  for the most part.

I think I will stay with this build and these awesome guns because I like being different and I see no reason to keep these 457s on the shelf gathering dust if I can average 125k a game with them and wipe 75% of the HP off anything that turns its side to me that is not named Kurfurst or Republique

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND
  • Cool 4

[-K-]
Members
5,061 posts
8,938 battles
12 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

So in an attempt to get out of the stigma that Conqueror can only be played with 419s and HE Spam, I have changed my build up slightly and Captains and tried a new approach.

The other day I switched up to the 457s and went with AP only for a game and afterwards said to myself can I make this work.

Now 1 of these games needs to be excluded because I went back to HE for a div game but only did 105k so if you were to take that game away the average would still be the same.

Now the WR Last night was not all that impressive but to me those guns did just fine and most importantly deliver devastating Citadel shots to Cruisers and Broadside BB's.

Down side to them is that against German BB's the shells when hitting the same spots as you would in lets say a Montana or a Yammy did not quite peel off the same chunks of HP you might would have imagined even when the same number of shells make contact.

Lots and Lots of Over Pens,  But then again I only have 15 total games with trying them so I am still learning  for the most part.

I think I will stay with this build and these awesome guns because I like being different and I see no reason to keep these 457s on the shelf gathering dust if I can average 125k a game with them and wipe 75% of the HP of anything that turns its side to me that is not named Kurfurst or Republique

Those 457's should have no problem wiping HP off of a broadside Republique....

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

I've been thinking of doing this myself, even if it isn't "optimal," just to see if I'm able to make more of an immediate impact on games than I typically do with HE spam.  I've often thought that I'd like to see them adjust the 457s to make it a legitimately competitive choice, maybe better dispersion or a little faster reload  and reduced fire chance on the 457s than what the 419s get since you've got 4 less guns.  Do you feel like they perform well enough as-is without needing any of that to make them a competitive choice?

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 2

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Those 457's should have no problem wiping HP off of a broadside Republique....

I think it is were I was landing the shells that was the issue,  I had no practice time with them just loaded them up and went to town with them.

Well now that I have an idea of how the shells disperse I can change up how high or low I place my shots.

I think to many shells were dispersing to high so I need to bring my aim down some.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
135 posts
4,901 battles
2 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

I've been thinking of doing this myself, even if it isn't "optimal," just to see if I'm able to make more of an immediate impact on games than I typically do with HE spam.  I've often thought that I'd like to see them adjust the 457s to make it a legitimately competitive choice, maybe better dispersion or a little faster reload  and reduced fire chance on the 457s than what the 419s get since you've got 4 less guns.  Do you feel like they perform well enough as-is without needing any of that to make them a competitive choice?

I agree completely. I have tried the 457 a few times and have not had great luck with them. The accuracy, I feel, is very disappointing for only 8 guns and although they have the highest alpha per shot I have never had great luck at utilizing it due to inaccuracy compared to the Montana or Yamato for instance.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles
9 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

The only concern I had was that there was a lack of penetrations and an over abundance of Over Pens.

But they are 457s but my Yammy with its 460s  seems to get more penetrations.

Other than that Velocity seems kinda sluggish,  Accuracy can be corrected my learning how the shells disperse and then developing a different type of lead and shot placement that gets you the best results.

[-K-]
Members
5,061 posts
8,938 battles
15 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

The only concern I had was that there was a lack of penetrations and an over abundance of Over Pens.

But they are 457s but my Yammy with its 460s  seems to get more penetrations.

Other than that Velocity seems kinda sluggish,  Accuracy can be corrected my learning how the shells disperse and then developing a different type of lead and shot placement that gets you the best results.

I know WG has always said there will never be a gun larger than 460mm in the game, what is the point of Yamato having the biggest guns if it doesn't have the largest alpha? 

Conqueror 457mm AP = 14900 max damage

Yamato 460mm AP = 14800 max damage

I know it's just 100hp, but the principle still remains true.  Need to buff Yamato's AP alpha to 14901 to make the world right again. :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles
On 6/27/2018 at 10:43 AM, Ace_04 said:

I know WG has always said there will never be a gun larger than 460mm in the game, what is the point of Yamato having the biggest guns if it doesn't have the largest alpha? 

I know it's just 100hp, but the principle still remains true.  Need to buff Yamato's AP alpha to 14901 to make the world right again. :Smile_hiding:

Well another week into my experiment with the 457's and my overall damage avg is dropping some but my WR is still climbing.

The point of difference still is when a ship or ships present an opportunity  for me to remove them from the game there is no need to have to worry about switching ammo.

I can just line them up and if only 2 shells make good contact i can still wipe off 20k or more HP.

So while yes the damage I deal is not always anything to brag about, I make it count by dealing it at the right times and towards the right ships.

I also have no idea why i just quoted ACE lol but I am to lazy to change it so ill just go with it :)

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,061 posts
8,938 battles
On 7/3/2018 at 4:17 PM, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

I also have no idea why i just quoted ACE lol but I am to lazy to change it so ill just go with it :)

I feel pretty special right about now. :fish_happy:

• Funny 1

Members
39 posts
1,388 battles

I've noticed you can throw HE at bbs and lose sight of them for a period of time, then when they come back a few minutes later they'll have healed majority of the damage you dealt to them. 

Though hitting them hard with AP shells seems to stick on them for the remainder of the game. 

I'm rarely too worried about fire damage because it just requires me to kite for a few minutes and heal and during that time, fire on targets that are not as risky. 

AP salvos for me goes much much further ensuring the enemy is closer to being deleted from that round. AP damage hurts. I can't wait to unlock Conqueror myself, I really want to try those big guns with AP. I'm not a fan of HE spam for the same reason I have no interest in Atlanta. 

[-TNT-]
Members
99 posts
10,165 battles

I hate 457's and the AP on Conqueror , Players laugh at you when you don't use HE 419 . The 457s should be wrecking balls ....but they are not ,,,,tested in test  room and just don't hit citadels like others BB's do ...You can pad the stat's to say what ever you want ,,But 457 and AP sucks ..HE 419 only way to go ,,,and that's very sad .....

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,289 battles
On 6/27/2018 at 9:01 AM, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

I think I will stay with this build and these awesome guns because I like being different and I see no reason to keep these 457s on the shelf gathering dust if I can average 125k a game with them and wipe 75% of the HP off anything that turns its side to me that is not named Kurfurst or Republique

Just curious, but what kind of captain skills were you using before and after?

Thanks for doing this. I've tried the 457s a few times. Can't say I like them. Can't say I dislike them. But i didn't think about the idea of using just AP in them, and I didn't change any captain's skills along the way.

[-TNT-]
Members
99 posts
10,165 battles

I feel same way 457 suck and AP sucks ,,,But why ?? The 460 knock ships to the grave ....457 AP get's you laughed at by other team.....Why ... The 419 HE is great ... But i didn't grind the Conqueror for 419 he ,, I wanted a one volly broadside using 457 AP ..... instead a big let down ... P.S . you can fix it WARGAMING any time ...

Edited by War182

[-TNT-]
Members
99 posts
10,165 battles
On 6/27/2018 at 9:43 AM, Ace_04 said:

Yamato 460 send ships to the grave .... Conquorer 457 is a joke , they get you laughed at ...so i wouldn't worrie about your Crown .

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles
21 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

Just curious, but what kind of captain skills were you using before and after?

Thanks for doing this. I've tried the 457s a few times. Can't say I like them. Can't say I dislike them. But i didn't think about the idea of using just AP in them, and I didn't change any captain's skills along the way.

I used to run a max fire potential build with the 419s, such as demolition expert and the 2 fire chance flags along with the normal stuff like superintendent,

Basics of survival, adrenaline rush etc etc.

With the 457s I dropped DE,  and I basically run a fire proof build now, so no BFT or AFT just anything to help fight off fire spam so I do not have to use my heals as early and often.

I still am currently using the 457s and still struggle at times but its not so bad because I still spend most of my time targeting cruisers.

Now in the late game because so many BBs are bow on and reluctant to show me side when they are the only ships left I have switched over to HE because the 457s just do not have the tight groupings to impact a Bow on BB.

My damage output has dropped but My WR has remained in the 60% range, so basically it is just a different way of playing that takes a lot more patience and places more emphasis on taking the right shots at the right ships more than just spamming HE at everything.

Now you could def use the 419s with AP only and do just the same or maybe slightly better.....  But if you have good games using the 457s not only will you feel more accomplished but you will gain more respect from everyone you play.

I constantly get complimented for not being that HE spamming Cong when I delete a broadside cruiser rather than just set them on fire.

[1-]
Members
578 posts
3,350 battles
On 6/27/2018 at 10:43 AM, Ace_04 said:

I know it's just 100hp, but the principle still remains true.  Need to buff Yamato's AP alpha to 14901 to make the world right again:Smile_hiding:

I agree with this 100%.

[-VT-]
Members
329 posts
6,453 battles

There are only 2 differences between the 457s and the 419s.  One is the obvious fact that the 419s have more barrels to throw shells at your target.  The second is they gave the 457s a 2.0 sigma vs 1.8 sigma for the 419s, supposedly making them slightly more accurate.  From playing both on and off, its hard to notice the accuracy difference.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Sign in to follow this