Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bjoring

Soviet Ships in OP Cherry Blossom

29 comments in this topic

Members
231 posts
7,290 battles

Operation Cherry Blossom, based on the Battle of Empress Augusta Bay in 1943, is restricted to American, British, French, and Soviet tier VIII cruisers. The operation is played from the American perspective, and both Britain and Free France were allied with America against the Japanese, so their inclusion makes some sense. The USSR, however, did not declare war on Japan until 1945. If the developers were going for historical accuracy, then allowing Soviet cruisers doesn't make sense. If they don't care about historical accuracy in ship selection, then it doesn't make sense to exclude Japanese and German ships. It's a minor inconsistency, but one that I thought was interesting to note.

• Cool 4

Members
11 posts
2,236 battles

shhhhhh. If they find that out I won't be able to play my Kutuzov (and its the only premium that you can play in this operation), so keep it on the down low :D. Its hard enough to carry teams when in each of the last three operations I've played there have been 2 (out of 7) afk players.

Edited by Shadowbear225
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,154 posts
14,776 battles
1 hour ago, Terran_Crusader said:

Operation Cherry Blossom, based on the Battle of Empress Augusta Bay in 1943, is restricted to American, British, French, and Soviet tier VIII cruisers. The operation is played from the American perspective, and both Britain and Free France were allied with America against the Japanese, so their inclusion makes some sense. The USSR, however, did not declare war on Japan until 1945. If the developers were going for historical accuracy, then allowing Soviet cruisers doesn't make sense. If they don't care about historical accuracy in ship selection, then it doesn't make sense to exclude Japanese and German ships. It's a minor inconsistency, but one that I thought was interesting to note.

Stronk  Russian naval forces help capitalist Americans in battle " is good no "

working as intended comrade :Smile_teethhappy:  

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[TOG]
Members
2,370 posts
14,622 battles
47 minutes ago, Shadowbear225 said:

shhhhhh. If they find that out I won't be able to play my Kutuzov (and its the only premium that you can play in this operation), so keep it on the down low :D. Its hard enough to carry teams when in each of the last three operations I've played there have been 2 (out of 7) afk players.

I've already played the operation on PTS and it's tough. Using Kutuzov makes the  success more likely. So quit [edited].

• Bad 2

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,997 battles

Seems like a reasonably easy mission to complete, but what is "maintain the position of both regiments"?  Played it twice and got 4 stars both times with that last one being failed.  Regiments?  That isn't even a naval term to begin with...  poor Russian translation perhaps?

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles
2 hours ago, Terran_Crusader said:

The USSR, however, did not declare war on Japan until 1945. If the developers were going for historical accuracy, then allowing Soviet cruisers doesn't make sense.

I agree.  But there has been so much kvetching about the limited participation in Hermes I suppose they had to do it.

Just consider it a tribute to the enormous contribution USSR made to the war elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Seems like a reasonably easy mission to complete, but what is "maintain the position of both regiments"?  Played it twice and got 4 stars both times with that last one being failed.  Regiments?  That isn't even a naval term to begin with...  poor Russian translation perhaps?

It's a problem I reported during the PT.  IJN ships start so close to the Marines ashore that they can hardly avoid killing one, and there's your 5th star gone before you even get into the battle.

Also ahistoric as the Japanese forces never got close to the transports or landing beaches.

• Bad 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles

Japanese cruisers were designed for night battles, and yet, the only night battle mission we have-- we can't use Japanese cruisers. That's beyond stupid.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,370 posts
14,622 battles
1 hour ago, BullHalsey said:

You need to keep both landing forces from being killed off. The problem is that in order to do that, you need to travel in a straight line to intercept the IJN force doing the bombardment in time. Which makes you the focused target of the initial or 2nd force. 

Members
98 posts
3,417 battles
23 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

It's a problem I reported during the PT.  IJN ships start so close to the Marines ashore that they can hardly avoid killing one, and there's your 5th star gone before you even get into the battle.

Just played my first round at it -- Damn you gotta run to stop those Myokos. We just managed to kill them off w/ ~5k HP left on one of the regiments

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,997 battles
23 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I agree.  But there has been so much kvetching about the limited participation in Hermes I suppose they had to do it.

Just consider it a tribute to the enormous contribution USSR made to the war elsewhere.

Also ahistoric as the Japanese forces never got close to the transports or landing beaches.

Oh I see.  First one I was struggling as the only Edinburgh in a sea of Clevelands.  Felt a bit outgunned to put it mildly.  Second was my 1st time using Baltimore.  I'll have to pay closer attention to that.

[TDRB]
Members
960 posts
3,700 battles
3 hours ago, Terran_Crusader said:

It is my understanding Russia & Japan have never formally ended WW2 with each other. There are matters dating back to the Russo-Japanese War of 1905 still in dispute between the 2 nations.

As far as the game, its history is a little off but I have no objections to including Russian cruisers in Cherry Blossom.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
42 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Japanese cruisers were designed for night battles, and yet, the only night battle mission we have-- we can't use Japanese cruisers. That's beyond stupid.

So were they designed for night battles or was it the superior training and proficiency of the Japanese officers and sailors that made them deadly fighting at night during the war?

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles
11 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

It is my understanding Russia & Japan have never formally ended WW2 with each other.

Just about the only action the Sovs took against Japan during the war was to seize islands at the northern entrance to the Sea of Japan - islands that had been part of Japan for centuries.  USSR refused and still refuses to return them, maintaining military bases there to control access to the Sea of Japan.  And yes, the bad blood goes back well before WWII.

Members
1,131 posts
3,141 battles

Уоч зее сомгаде, if iт шочld иот наvе вееи fог бооd зоviет знip, уоч шочld иот шiииiиб оf орегатiои))))

• Funny 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
18 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

So were they designed for night battles or was it the superior training and proficiency of the Japanese officers and sailors that made them deadly fighting at night during the war?

Both.

The cover of night is the reasoning behind designing them so offense-focused. And of course the crew were actually trained in night battle. Outside of three instances (Empress Augusta Bay, Guadalcanal 2: Guadalcanal Harder, and Surigao Strait), every time the USN went to battle in the dark it was a complete disaster.

Meanwhile the 1919-launched WW1 era clunker Tenryu sank two modern radar-equipped USN cruisers and damaged a third-- all in the same night. Tenryu didn't even have radar. And those 14cm singles are hand-loaded.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,997 battles
47 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

You need to keep both landing forces from being killed off. The problem is that in order to do that, you need to travel in a straight line to intercept the IJN force doing the bombardment in time. Which makes you the focused target of the initial or 2nd force. 

That worked, top score 5 star on my 1st try.  Just need 2 or 3 ships in the rear to deal with the flanking DDs etc as you deal with the primary targets.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
2 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Both.

The cover of night is the reasoning behind designing them so offense-focused. And of course the crew were actually trained in night battle. Outside of three instances (Empress Augusta Bay, Guadalcanal 2: Guadalcanal Harder, and Surigao Strait), every time the USN went to battle in the dark it was a complete disaster.

Meanwhile the 1919-launched WW1 era clunker Tenryu sank two modern radar-equipped USN cruisers and damaged a third-- all in the same night. Tenryu didn't even have radar. And those 14cm singles are hand-loaded.

It is sad to say but the USN actually thought the Japanese could not fight at night because of their eyes. They felt not enough light would be let in......talk about sheer stupidity and it cost the USN big time.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
3 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Both.

Also a lot of radar equipped ships did not use the radar, a lot of older officers distrusted the technology and did things the way they always did.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
Just now, Belthorian said:

Also a lot of radar equipped ships did not use the radar, a lot of older officers distrusted the technology and did things the way they always did.

Yes, I know. That doesn't change the fact that they had this supposed "super advantage" and still got their butts kicked in the situation where it was supposed to be a "super advantage".

Members
3,638 posts
13,487 battles
2 hours ago, tm63au said:

Stronk  Russian naval forces help capitalist Americans in battle " is good no "

working as intended comrade :Smile_teethhappy:  

Yup. Gotta show off that Roo-shun superiority over Capitalism.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
7 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Yes, I know. That doesn't change the fact that they had this supposed "super advantage" and still got their butts kicked in the situation where it was supposed to be a "super advantage".

The USN totally underestimated the IJN, especially in the early years of the war. The IJN was highly trained and professional and were superior to their USN counterparts in a lot of areas.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
5 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

Yup. Gotta show off that Roo-shun superiority over Capitalism.

xC2OR3z.gif

• Funny 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,910 posts
3,297 battles

French and British were not part of the battle either... so, only USN cruisers should participate in the operation... actually USN Light Cruisers and Destroyers.

1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

What made them deadly at night, was the fact that our Carrier based Aircraft did not operate at night. As a result, Guadalcanal saw her seas switch control on a day-night cycle. This was how it was during almost the entire war in the Pacific. Japanese knew this, so they trained primarily for night battles, where they had the advantage, despite radar on US ships.

Sign in to follow this