You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NinthPrince64

What is the norm wrt ...

15 comments in this topic

[CVBG]
Members
1 post
1,214 battles

Hi, new to the game.  Bit of a silly question, but I’m curious.  Let’s say you die relatively early in a game.  Do most people stay in the game and observe, or do they leave and play another ship,  is that bad form?

Thanks.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,886 battles

Depends.  As a new-ish player I'd stick around.  Look and see who is doing well then watch what they do and try to learn.  Or if there's another ship I'm trying to learn, I'll watch and see how it's played.

If I'm just derping around or trying to grind/finish a task quickly, I exit right after I die and start another battle.  

• Cool 2

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
412 posts
6,177 battles

Usually players leave to port right after death.. Some stay to watch ( either div mates or to cuss at people that they think they dont play well ). For me I normally leave after I die

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,947 battles

I'll only stay if it's a close battle and if I feel my input can help the team at that point.

[CAST]
Members
1,158 posts
7,174 battles

If I have another ship I'm grinding, I'll leave.  If I want that same ship, I'll wait it out and observe the game play, and cuss at the players hiding behind the islands.  Sometimes it is fun watching a game play out.

[INTEL]
Members
8,429 posts
25,288 battles

I sometimes watch if it is a close game. I am always surprised to find in coop there are often people watching at the end who were dead early, cheering me on. One of the reasons I like coop.

It is a good way to learn, though, watching others. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles
54 minutes ago, NinthPrince64 said:

Hi, new to the game.  Bit of a silly question, but I’m curious.  Let’s say you die relatively early in a game.  Do most people stay in the game and observe, or do they leave and play another ship,  is that bad form?

Thanks.

It's good to stay and watch, because you can learn from others' mistakes, and it's also possible to help by letting your team-mates know e.g. if an enemy ship is sneaking up behind them, if an enemy battleship's guns are pointed the other way and it's safe to come out and make a torpedo run... that sort of thing. 

That being said, if all you want to do is get into another ship and head back out, it's not rude to leave.

[ARP2]
Members
1,223 posts
3,566 battles

If I'm in a division, I'll usually hang out and be an extra set of eyes for my division mates. If I'm solo, back to Port, off to the next ship.

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,890 battles
1 hour ago, NinthPrince64 said:

Thanks.

Hi, Welcome to WoWS. 

I usually bail out after sinking, but there are some exceptions: 

• If I am in a division, I will always stay on, calling targets, torpedos, DCP useage etc.  All of which can help the team, as well as my division mates. 
  • If the battle is close, I often passively watch - I rarely call out unless someone looks like they want the help. 

But, as a new player, you might want to hang around and observe experienced (and good) players - usually, if you ask questions like "I'm a new player - you moved your battleship from B to C cap, what is/was your plan for that?" you almost always get a constructive response - unless they're too busy dealing with the enemy to watch chat.  It is one positive about this game's community; most players go out of their way to help others. 

Otherwise, I'm happy to division up with you and play, help you learn etc - feel free to send me an in-game message, and if I'm on at the same time, I'll run a few battles with you.  

[MIA-A]
Members
1,968 posts
6,553 battles
11 minutes ago, Hatework said:

If I'm in a division, I'll usually hang out and be an extra set of eyes for my division mates. If I'm solo, back to Port, off to the next ship.

Tracking which ships are aiming at who is useful too. It can be hard to see where ships are aiming while playing in some cases but it's very easy once you are dead.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,160 posts
8,772 battles
2 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Depends.  As a new-ish player I'd stick around.  Look and see who is doing well then watch what they do and try to learn.  Or if there's another ship I'm trying to learn, I'll watch and see how it's played.

If I'm just derping around or trying to grind/finish a task quickly, I exit right after I die and start another battle.  

QFT

[TOG]
Members
2,358 posts
14,610 battles

One of the things you might want to do is enable the replay function. If you die early, watch the replay to see what you did wrong. Watch it when you did real well to see what you did right. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,775 posts
12,887 battles

It depends.  Close game, for sure.  Otherwise, if it just interests me for some reason.

One thing I will stress though...don't troll your team.  You can give encouragement.  Give help.  Try not to be too wordy.  But please...do not tell them how bad they are doing (even if they are playing bad). Name calling...and just about anything detrimental to the play of the game. 

Stay and watch if it suits you.  Say some positive things.  Don't harass. 

Example: I watched a game that was very close, and there was a player really giving it his all for the win.  I chatted up that "win or lose", he was getting plus karma for the effort.  Just little things like that.

Basically, do whatever interests you at that moment.  Wanna stay...stay.  Feel like leaving...leave.  No one will be hurt.

Oh, and on those games I leave.  Sometimes, I'm like "Oh well, we've lost this one".  Then I 'm off to the next battle.  When I come back after that battle...I see a win.  It's like "Damn...how did we pull that off"?  Or, just the reverse.  You depart when it's a sure win, you play another match, come back to port...and it shows a defeat.  You're like...."How did you guys F that up"?