You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

Please Make Coal/Steel purchases giftable

16 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
8,406 posts
25,228 battles

You know, I don't want much for myself. But I am one of those people who enjoys giving things to others and who very much enjoys the social aspect of the game. It would be awesome if I could use my coal to purchase things in the Arsenal and gift them to others. Even if I have to pay a 20% penalty or similar -- if I buy an Aigle for myself it is 49K coal, but for a friend it is 59K... that's no problem. Lots of people in the forums and in games are on disability or fixed incomes and cant cough up $50 for a premium ship... and then we'd have a way to gift them ships they can really use. 

Make it happen, WG. Please. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[LOU1]
Members
2,851 posts
7,980 battles

I can see coal purchases being giftable (I am actually hoping that happens).  So, a good player that does not have ready cash available can use their abilities to earn stuff they could gift to others.  Steel, on the other hand, is intended to be for the benefit of the clan player themselves as far as I can tell.  Being able to gift a Steel only purchase would circumvent that.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,308 posts
11,857 battles

As much as I want Steel to be purchasable, I don't see it happening.

1. The pay to win outrage would be enormous.

2. The cost would be more ridiculous than the Doubloon to credits conversion.

3. Ranked and Clan players would actually have a reason to rage.

4, 5, and 6 are blank for responses from others, instead of thinking up more, I will instead have a shot of whiskey.

The only reason that I would want it, is that I want to have every ship in port, a goal for myself. I wouldn't ever pay for the steel though, not because I could not find a way to afford it. I wouldn't get it because it would not seem like a good bargain. For what I imagine, would be a $500+ ship.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,514 battles

It's a nice though, albeit one that might end up in the "we can't have nice things" category.

Basically, any time something bought with a rare specialty currency can be gifted, someone will sell it on the interwebs, and this will make people (including the developers) mad. Alternatively, it will cause people to steal accounts in order to "gift" away the items. And then the feature will go away.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 2

Members
1,616 posts
9,711 battles

Purchasable steel is a bad idea.  Lots of reasons why.

You can farm it in ranked, looks like 2,500 steel per season max.  Your only other real option aside from luck is joining a clan for clan battles.

I am against purchasable coal too.  Simple way to put it is it crosses the pay to win threshold by being able to by mods and combat signals.  Both can give you an edge over people not using them.  Get your dailies.  The coal will add up.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,514 battles
2 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Purchasable steel is a bad idea.  Lots of reasons why.

It is, but you misread the OP. He's asking about spending his own coal and steel, presumably earned in-game, to give items to others.

Members
1,616 posts
9,711 battles
Just now, Edgecase said:

It is, but you misread the OP. He's asking about spending his own coal and steel, presumably earned in-game, to give items to others.

If you can gift it, it would be insane you couldnt get it for yourself.  No where in the premium shop is that a thing.

Or play tit for tat with a clan member where you buy the stuff for the other.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,332 posts
10,121 battles
4 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

If you can gift it, it would be insane you couldnt get it for yourself.  No where in the premium shop is that a thing.

Anything in the Premium shop can be purchased as a gift for another member

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles
6 hours ago, Taichunger said:

You know, I don't want much for myself. But I am one of those people who enjoys giving things to others and who very much enjoys the social aspect of the game. It would be awesome if I could use my coal to purchase things in the Arsenal and gift them to others. Even if I have to pay a 20% penalty or similar -- if I buy an Aigle for myself it is 49K coal, but for a friend it is 59K... that's no problem. Lots of people in the forums and in games are on disability or fixed incomes and cant cough up $50 for a premium ship... and then we'd have a way to gift them ships they can really use. 

Make it happen, WG. Please. 

yeh no. gifting stalingrads to brand new accounts should never be tolerated

[WOLFB]
Members
1,645 posts
8,013 battles

Steel can offer some ridiculous ship so I don't think it should be allowed.

Coal on the other hand wouldn't be bad. Like gifting a Signal / camo crate or ship. It can help some player to grind faster. 

[-TAB-]
Members
1,317 posts
6,885 battles
6 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

As much as I want Steel to be purchasable, I don't see it happening.

1. The pay to win outrage would be enormous.

2. The cost would be more ridiculous than the Doubloon to credits conversion.

3. Ranked and Clan players would actually have a reason to rage.

4, 5, and 6 are blank for responses from others, instead of thinking up more, I will instead have a shot of whiskey.

The only reason that I would want it, is that I want to have every ship in port, a goal for myself. I wouldn't ever pay for the steel though, not because I could not find a way to afford it. I wouldn't get it because it would not seem like a good bargain. For what I imagine, would be a $500+ ship.

A.) it is not pay to win as you can get it in game.

B.) The game does not exist without whales. The game does exist without Ranked and Clans.

Steel and Coal should be purchasable.

Edited by zarth12
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[INTEL]
Members
8,406 posts
25,228 battles
45 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Coal on the other hand wouldn't be bad. Like gifting a Signal / camo crate or ship. It can help some player to grind faster. 

Thats how I see it. I play often and will probably end up with a pile of coal. At present I dont see any ships available for coal that I want, and for steel I only want Flint. I have piles of credits and piles of free XP which I dont really use, I expect that I will end up with piles of coal as well.....

[-TAB-]
Members
1,317 posts
6,885 battles
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Unique ships shouldn't be gated in the first place and available to all. Only purely cosmetic rewards should be gated. These are separate but equally important issues that other game companies learned, some the hard way and never recovered, since a decade ago.

If there are "ridiculous" ships in the first place, that is an issue as well. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that Overpowered AND Gated rewards are a "game ender".

Edited by zarth12

[THICC]
Members
68 posts
166 battles
1 hour ago, zarth12 said:

A.) it is not pay to win as you can get it in game.

B.) The game does not exist without whales. The game does exist without Ranked and Clans.

Steel and Coal should be purchasable.

I don't think that they should be purchasable at all-> I want to be able to earn without having to shell out money to stay relevant. I heard that you could buy ships with coal and steel, and it would be cool if we could use our own coal to gift those ships away (signals and camos too). Just don't be able to use steel for gifts, because Its rare and must be earned on your own. I would love to build up enough coal to buy ships and camos can give them away because I already have a perm camo and I only play this ship. It would be nice to be able to reward people for their effort by gaining a few things when I feel they have earned it. 

[-TAB-]
Members
1,317 posts
6,885 battles
10 minutes ago, Huanghe said:

I don't think that they should be purchasable at all-> I want to be able to earn without having to shell out money to stay relevant. I heard that you could buy ships with coal and steel, and it would be cool if we could use our own coal to gift those ships away (signals and camos too). Just don't be able to use steel for gifts, because Its rare and must be earned on your own. I would love to build up enough coal to buy ships and camos can give them away because I already have a perm camo and I only play this ship. It would be nice to be able to reward people for their effort by gaining a few things when I feel they have earned it. 

Again,
You wouldn't have to spend money to "stay relevant".  I never once claimed they should ONLY be purchasable. This is how the F2P model works, this is how a game like WoWs survives. There shouldn't be any completely unique ship that is a gated reward, first and foremost. This isn't something new.   The game does not exist without the whales, without those who "shell out money". The game does exist without any of the modes that require these currently gated rewards like Stalingrad. I don't care how many disagree or how many downvotes I get, that is a simple fact. Players can feel ignorantly entitled to their unique ship, they wouldn't have a game to use it in without the whales. Coal and Steel should be earnable through multiple means, not just Comp/Ranked.  Campaigns and Premium shop would suffice as well. The only unique reward that should be gated behind Competitive, should be Cosmetic in nature like a special camo.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,514 battles
7 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

You're still reading the OP wrong. Nowhere is the premium shop or real money involved. Player earns surplus coal/steel, uses to buy coal/steel ship for a friend, at a penalty, not a discount.