You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Getting to a 19 pt Captain

29 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

Have my first 18 pt Captain (Benson).  Finally got to the 18th point using the Monaghan (fun ship).  I always fly Economic signals everytime I play in my premium dds, but that 300,000 mark feels like it will take forever to get to.  It's been quite a slog getting to this point.  Any words of advice to get that last point without driving myself crazy playing my premium USN dds exclusively?

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
3 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Just play as per normal. You will get there soon enough. 

:Smile_great:

Members
322 posts
5,967 battles
9 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Any words of advice to get that last point without driving myself crazy playing my premium USN dds exclusively?

Accelerated commander training by using elite commander XP? Maybe?

• Bad 1

[WPP]
Members
456 posts
5,116 battles
22 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Have my first 18 pt Captain (Benson).  Finally got to the 18th point using the Monaghan (fun ship).  I always fly Economic signals everytime I play in my premium dds, but that 300,000 mark feels like it will take forever to get to.  It's been quite a slog getting to this point.  Any words of advice to get that last point without driving myself crazy playing my premium USN dds exclusively?

I’m 280k from my first 19 pointer and the Indianapolis crates have been reasonably generous with Dragon Flags.  So those, premium ships, first wins, and Camo and I’m able to put about 30k a day on him.  Plus I have that 190k elite EXP from the Cleveland.  

Basically I’m putting all my energy into 1 guy.  

[-WPG-]
Members
739 posts
3,145 battles

Do you have elite XP from space battles and the Cleveland split?  I had over 350k from both of those combined, and still have a lot left. It would take many dozens of battles to get back up to 300k, if you spent your current elite xp on getting him to 19, but I'd probably do it.  You'd get that last skill to complete your captain build, and those double captain XP events can rack up 10K+ elite xp per game with flags and captain xp camo. 

[NDA]
Supertester
4,791 posts
13,617 battles

If you have a premium ship of the same nation as your captain and the skills work with both ship than all you need to do is get a win in one ship move the captain to the premium ship and get a win there. Do this every day till you have a 19 point captain. I ground out a 19p Italian BB commander using this method, fun times. 

The key to getting a Elite Commander is to play it with as many bonuses you can stack. If you have camos that give a boost to Commander Exp use them. Use those dragon flags if you have any of them. It will still take a while to over come the last two points but the effort is worth it. 

But let me tell you a secret. Once you get your first 19p captain Don't Stop playing it. Because that captain will start generating Elite Commander Exp. You can than use the built up Elite C.Exp to help up the next captain. So while the slog to your first 19p captain is long the next one will follow quickly. Also focus building 19p commanders on the ships you enjoy playing and will play on a regular basis. This way you know you'll be generating Elite C.Exp each game session. 

I now have 18 Elite captains in my Fleet and the Elite C.Exp just keep rolling in.

Members
1,789 posts
17,407 battles
1 hour ago, RinzlerCobra said:

Accelerated commander training by using elite commander XP? Maybe?

You need a 19 point commander to earn elite commander XP...there's a few places to get a little here & there but his problem is he has no 19 point commander to begin with.

• Bad 1

Members
1,789 posts
17,407 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

There's certain tasks in the Halsey & Yammy campaigns that give elite XP (if you can finish them) & I believe the new scenario has some for obtaining a certain amount of stars...& you can use free XP for commander training also...it generates daily as you play & occasionally drops in containers.

Fortunately you are often up-tiered in the Benson & damaging higher tier ships generates more XP than lower tier ships so aim for the big boys & it should build pretty quick (& remember that ALL regular ship XP/battle transfers to the commander...so not only commander XP buffs but also regular XP buffs will build your commander faster. (example...a 200% commander XP buff is worth less commander XP than 150% ships XP + 100% commander XP...which will give you 150% ship XP but 250% total commander XP).

Edit: Also...the stats don't have to match for you to use the commander in another US premium ship type than a DD...& w/18 points I'm sure a few of the stats at least will be beneficial to any other type of ship you run it in...if you have any others that is. If you do...farm the daily 1st win bonus at least w/them using the 18 point commander.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Bad 1

[DENY]
Members
301 posts
4,433 battles

It take a while to get the first 19 capt but once you get him it faster for the other , I got 3 of them and working on a 4th , playing with flag and co help , if you made it into the top 3 every game you can get 10 to 30 k capt xp

360 posts
194 battles

Your finish line is in sight, just keep using the signals and premiums and you'll get there. The first one is the toughest, but getting others will be much faster.

[S0L0]
Members
855 posts
4,688 battles
4 minutes ago, TugboatCommander said:

Your finish line is in sight, just keep using the signals and premiums and you'll get there. The first one is the toughest, but getting others will be much faster.

Truth. I started playing WoWs the day it went public, finally got my first 19 pt captain a couple months ago. I'm now a week or two away from getting my 3rd, and I think I can have 5 by the end of summer, even with my reduced play time during the warm months.

Matt

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,784 posts
12,916 battles
12 hours ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Just play as per normal. You will get there soon enough. 

^^^this^^^

Just enjoy the game.  The captains come with time.  I have several 19 point captains...and several on the way.  It kinda snowballs a little bit, as the more 19 point captains you get, and the more you play, the more elite captain expertise you gain...which makes it easier to get new captains to 19 points...or at least to a point where you can fit them with the critical skills for a particular ship.

[DENY]
Members
160 posts
6,613 battles
12 hours ago, AMajor said:

Your first 19 point captain takes some time, your next one is faster, and then they come pretty fast. If you really want to grind out 19 point captains, remember that all Commander XP on your 19 point captain goes to free Captain XP. 

Maximize this Captain XP by stacking XP using flags, and bonuses. Weekends often have 200% XP bonus, certain personal challenges give you XP bonus as well. Combine these with 8 economic flags to maximize XP and you can get 40,000+ XP per match, if you win. It's pretty insane once you have enough 19 point captains to take advantage of it. I have 4 million Free Captain XP, and I have around a dozen 19 point captains. I have 19 point captains that I've never even played in Random, because I suck at CV play, but I have a USN 19 Point CV commander, because I can.

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
599 posts
5,041 battles

I messed up personally.

I had my only 19 point captain sitting in Khab for the last ranked season. Once that finished, I figured I could use him but it'd be more economical to have him in Kiev, because I can actually make credits as well as free xp. So I stuck him in Kiev and now he's in retraining mode. Even after I moved him into Okhotnik he still has 130525/250000 to go before being proficient in both Ok and Kiev.

Would have been smarter to stick him in Ok and rotate between Ok and Khab.

Lesson learned. My next 19 pt capt should be UK BB.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,245 posts
5,674 battles
13 hours ago, AMajor said:

Once you get that first one, the second one becomes easier, the third even easier, and so on. Congrats brother and good luck making that last push.

[SYN]
Members
509 posts
5,971 battles
1 hour ago, HyperFish said:

he still has 130525/250000 to go before being proficient in both Ok and Kiev.

IMO, the 200,000 silver is worth it here. (Esp. at 19 point commander)

Edited by Ensign_Pulver_2016

[TAFY3]
Members
334 posts
7,161 battles

Once you have one 19 pointer on your favorite ship you play at least once a day, your free captain exp will pile up causing a chain reaction of other 19 point captains.  I know when I bought the Kidd, I went from zero to 19 points instantly just using free capt. exp.  It's awesome running flags and camo on 19 pt captains that are on high tier ships, your free capt exp really goes up fast.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,915 posts
3,310 battles

Rotate your captain between the ship he is specialized in, and ALL premium ships of the same nation, regardless if the build works or not. The first win bonus will help progress your commander faster (even if you have to play co-op so the improper build doesn't have catastrophic consequences).

I am close to having a second 19 point commander... and by close I mean almost halfway there, with two 15 point commanders...

[TNG]
Members
813 posts
6,173 battles
17 hours ago, AMajor said:

I have like 20 19-pt captains. Trust me it's not a big deal.

Members
1,789 posts
17,407 battles
12 hours ago, HyperFish said:

I messed up personally.

I had my only 19 point captain sitting in Khab for the last ranked season. Once that finished, I figured I could use him but it'd be more economical to have him in Kiev, because I can actually make credits as well as free xp. So I stuck him in Kiev and now he's in retraining mode. Even after I moved him into Okhotnik he still has 130525/250000 to go before being proficient in both Ok and Kiev.

Would have been smarter to stick him in Ok and rotate between Ok and Khab.

Lesson learned. My next 19 pt capt should be UK BB.

200k credits (1..maybe 2 battles worth) will cut that 250k down to 125k...which you have surpassed at 130k...silly to grind that if you figure the amount of time it takes to get the extra 120k XP as compared to the 1 (maybe 2) battle.

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
599 posts
5,041 battles
6 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

200k credits (1..maybe 2 battles worth) will cut that 250k down to 125k...which you have surpassed at 130k...silly to grind that if you figure the amount of time it takes to get the extra 120k XP as compared to the 1 (maybe 2) battle.

Sorry. The 130525 is AFTER I paid the 200k silver to half retrain him. The problem is that he's seriously gimped until the retraining is finished.

That being said, once the retraining is done he should be a pretty sweet credit and xp earner in Kiev.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,836 posts
3,984 battles
44 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

Sorry. The 130525 is AFTER I paid the 200k silver to half retrain him. The problem is that he's seriously gimped until the retraining is finished.

This is why it is worth it to scrimp and save and buy (or if applicable, win) at least one mid-high tier (T6-8) premium ship in the nation of your highest captain. You can then play operations to mine XP, which a Tier 5 ship cannot do. (There seem to be a few things that Tier 5 ships can't do these days, actually; the bar seems to be getting shifted upwards.)

It's also why if you DON'T have a premium ship, it's advisable to leave your highest captain where they are unless you have absolutely no choice. As they go up, the retraining cost can become truly frightful (unless, as above, you have a good premium ship to work it off in).

There are days I debate putting my 13 pointer back into the Fiji, using the Gallant to retrain him. The Fiji's 10-pointer would then go into the Edinburgh. I seriously don't think I'm going any higher than Tier 8; the service costs beyond that are prohibitive to someone who doesn't play consistently well.