You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CrimsonAlucard

What is Your Favorite Ship From History?

88 comments in this topic

[PENND]
Members
48 posts
531 battles

Well, the title pretty much says it. So, I’ll go first.

My favorite ship in history is the USS Lexington CV-2. A vessel that lent valuable lessons that have shaped the way naval warfare is fought today by the United States Navy. Large, fast, and elegant for an aircraft carrier, this ship was the image of naval aviation for the USN from 1928-1942. If Pensacola, Florida is the “Cradle of Naval Aviation”, then the Lexington would have as well as been the flagship of naval aviation. Together, with her sister, the Saratoga, the Lady Lex showed not only the USN, but also foreign observers the value and possibilities of naval aircraft in a world where battleships were the main stay of any armada. It’s a shame we don’t really have CV-2 in the game, but CV-3 is still a good ship.

Also, a little off of it, I love the original designs of the Lexington-class battlecruisers, CC-1 to CC-6. I would love to see this variation in the game. I sort of bought the Hood as a place holder, of course that ship has a history all of its own and tragic one at that. But, still, the Lexington CCs would be a beautiful addition to the game. 

But, enough about me, what are your ships?

70CCA08D-CD62-4458-84B2-2A52BEF2AC85.png

0E12F129-7699-404E-87DB-8323F245891B.jpeg

37706009-6957-4BCD-A941-652079790E60.jpeg

1CC3C84B-7AC3-4429-BAAC-1300E91BA986.jpeg

5BC3E3FF-5A84-4F51-93D8-CE6BE565C5E8.jpeg

Edited by CrimsonAlucard
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,300 posts
11,856 battles

Mine is more of a boat. The Birch Bark and Dug Out canoe. The boats that discovered America.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,355 battles

Tirpitz and the Missouri.  2 very majestic and powerful  looking battle wagons. 

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

Mine is the HMS Beagle. Aboard it, Darwin made the observations and collected the specimens that led him (with Wallace) to postulate the unifying theory of biology -- evolution by natural selection.

PSM_V57_D097_Hms_beagle_in_the_straits_o

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[PENND]
Members
48 posts
531 battles
4 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Noah's Ark

That’s a great one!

:)

Edited by CrimsonAlucard

[SPCU]
Members
67 posts
3,644 battles
12 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Noah's Ark

So... a paper ship then? :cap_popcorn:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,124 posts
8,741 battles

Not a particular ship but the frigates that Joshua Humphreys designed for the fledgling US Navy. The Constitution, President, and United States of 44 guns, Congress, and Constellation of 38 guns, and Chesapeake also of 38 guns.

The 44's

USS_Constitution_vs_Guerriere.jpg

President1.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4pPZSmg2cTfnJRoLbaTN

• Cool 2

Members
705 posts

USS Houston (CA-30), the "Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast".  Fought magnificently against hopeless odds, never to see home again.

uss_houston_ca_30__february_1942____measure_1_by_colosseumsb-dbg3c28.png

[PENND]
Members
48 posts
531 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Not a particular ship but the frigates that Joshua Humphreys designed for the fledgling US Navy. The Constitution, President, and United States of 44 guns, Congress, and Constellation of 38 guns, and Chesapeake also of 38 guns.

President1.jpg

So true. These few ships practically put the USN on the map as a small but incredibly enduring and determined fighting force in the eyes of the Royal Navy during the War of 1812.

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles

USS Constitution (Old Ironsides).  Her 3 victories over the British in the War of 1812 were an immerse source of pride for a nation still in it's infancy. May be hard to understand today but that was a different era. Intensely patriotic.  The war probably should never have been fought and her victories meant little, but she is still an inspiration and quite moving to visit in Boston where she still resides. She fought and never hugged the back line!

Seaworthy, still in commission, and ready to get it on...if needed!! 

• Cool 4

[PENND]
Members
48 posts
531 battles
1 minute ago, TF77 said:

USS Houston (CA-30), the "Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast".  Fought magnificently against hopeless odds, never to see home again.

uss_houston_ca_30__february_1942____measure_1_by_colosseumsb-dbg3c28.png

I too also am fascinated by this ship. Hm, being an old player of Battlestations, the Northampton-class heavy cruiser hold a spot in my heart. Of course, pissing off IJN players in BSP with hoards of Northampton’s was always so fun. Wish WG had the NH-class from the start.

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The 44's

President1.jpg

Great ships and innovative designs. +1! 

[PENND]
Members
48 posts
531 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

USS Constitution (Old Ironsides).  Her 3 victories over the British in the War of 1812 were an immerse source of pride for a nation still in it's infancy. May be hard to understand today but that was a different era. Intensely patriotic.  The war probably should never have been fought and her victories meant little, but she is still an inspiration and quite moving to visit in Boston where she still resides. She fought and never hugged the back line!

Seaworthy, still in commission, and ready to get it on...if needed!! 

Lol. I would love to go aboard her one day. Love them old mast and canvas ships.

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles
9 minutes ago, CrimsonAlucard said:

Lol. I would love to go aboard her one day. Love them old mast and canvas ships.

GO!  She is beautiful. They took her to the open sea after her restoration in the 1990's. I damn near cried watching that. Those 44 gun frigates (they usually carried 50) were state of the art for their day. Potent. OP

Edited by dmckay

Members
1,603 posts
3,573 battles

USN North Carolina.  No reason bound in history, she's just named after my state and I've stood on her decks before.  Exploring her as a teenager was an amazing experience for me.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,124 posts
8,741 battles
2 minutes ago, CrimsonAlucard said:

When the United States met the Macedonian the Macedonian had US prisoners on board and they told the British that they didn't want to fight her. Surviving members of the Macedonian remarked that their shots were bouncing off while the United States shots were not only coming through the hull they were exiting out the other side

1 minute ago, dmckay said:

GO!  She is beautiful. They took her to sea after her restoration in the 1990's. I damn near cried watching that. Those 44 gun frigates were state of the art for their day. Potent. OP

The sailing ships have something that no later self propelled ships had, a soul. The Humphreys  designs took naval design to the limit and then kept going. There were few ships of any rate that could take them on one vs one with a reasonable chance of success. They took the stronger than anything that can catch them and faster than anything that can beat them to new levels.

[PENND]
Members
48 posts
531 battles
9 minutes ago, dmckay said:

GO!  She is beautiful. They took her to sea after her restoration in the 1990's. I damn near cried watching that. Those 44 gun frigates were state of the art for their day. Potent. OP

Yes, and they definitely showed the difference in the USN’s approach to naval warfare when compared to the Royal Navy’s at the time. Those frigates were meant to maximize the strengths of the United States’s in ship building and resources in a lot of lumber, but fewer men to crew them. The Royal Navy built large ships of war as the mainstay of their fleets that could project the power of the British Empire wherever they dropped anchor. These vessels were meant to compete in mass naval engagements with the support of various other vessels and had a large amount of man power. The USN had a few smaller ships with less manpower capable taking a beating, dishing it out, and run if they needed. They were also meant to operate with each other in smaller more mobile groups. These were useful in hit and run tactics.

Edited by CrimsonAlucard

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles
6 minutes ago, CrimsonAlucard said:

Yes, and they definitely showed the difference in the USN’s approach to naval warfare when compared to the Royal Navy’s at the time. Those frigates were meant to maximize the strengths of the United States’s in ship building and resources in a lot of lumber, but fewer men to crew them. The Royal Navy built large ships of war as the mainstay of their fleets that could project the power of the British Empire wherever they dropped anchor. These vessels were meant to compete in mass naval engagements with the support of various other vessels and had a large amount of man power. The USN had a few smaller ships with less manpower capable taking a beating, dishing it out, and run if they needed. They were also meant to operate with each other in smaller more mobile groups. These were useful in hot and run tactics.

Two of those big fast 44 gun frigates working in tandem might, might I say, have been able to defeat a British ship of the line. Maybe. Kinda a fun "what if".

Edited by dmckay

[DARTH]
Members
532 posts
11,365 battles

Um, yeah, I’d have to say USS North Carolina, because reasons.  First battleship I ever visited, had the motorized model, all that.

[PENND]
Members
48 posts
531 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Two of those big fast 44 gun frigates working in tandem might, might I say, have been able to defeat a British ship of the line. Maybe. Kinda a fun "what if".

Hm, possible July 4th event? Lol!

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles

Swayback Maru, USS Salt Lake City.  One of the worst cruiser designs in history, yet always rose to the challenge.

• Cool 1

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles
2 minutes ago, CrimsonAlucard said:

Hm, possible July 4th event? Lol!

Heh.  Ok but it's all forgotten.  Mostly. We supposed to be good buddies now. Kinda. However things were still kinda touchy between we and the Brits until after the Civil War. 

[PENND]
Members
48 posts
531 battles
2 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Swayback Maru, USS Salt Lake City.  One of the worst cruiser designs in history, yet always rose to the challenge.

Hm, yes, but it did lead to bigger and better things. The Northamptons, the Portlands, New Orleans, Wichita, Baltimores, Oregon Citys, Des Moines, and in the long run, the two Alaska-class large cruisers.