Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Berlimawurst

Zerra: The END of DDs is Coming

209 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

67
[AP-B]
Members
174 posts
1,512 battles

Here is the video 

His main points:

1. Most current ingame DDs will continue to suffer as the meta goes (more radar and more stealthy radar yes!)

2. The only two DDs that would survive this meta are the Grozovoi and Khabarovsk ( I am not a DD!!:Smile_playing:)

3. Stealthy Radar/Radar through terrain/ Radar n’ smoke are stupid designs. 

4. All of the upcoming new DD lines are terrible because of slow speed (so slow that they are unable to run from a radar) Tier X British and IJN2nd line DDs are only around 34 kts.

5. The current meta is extremely unhealthy as the DD numbers continue to decrease, which will result in scarcity of food for radar cruisers. 

6. He suggests that a new type of engine boost consumables for DDs should be introduced. 

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 6
  • Bad 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27
[USFF]
Members
68 posts
4,817 battles

I have to agree with him on DD survivability. Slow DDs are going to get killed fast. Smoke has kind of become a useless consumable with the proliferation of radar. Speed=life. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67
[AP-B]
Members
174 posts
1,512 battles

What I think:

DD have been the weakest class since early 2016 in high tiers.

They have the lowest average damage, lowest average experience and lowest average kills among all classes. In a CV you can expect to get upto 50% more rewards on average than a same tier DD.

There is no need to make game play of DDs more unenjoyable.

As a BB main, I feel sick of seeing only 2 DDs on my team and both of them are less skilled players with around 40% WR.

This is not healthy.

 

Edited by Berlimawurst
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Interesting. I've only recently taken up destroyers (mainly Germany) and win 60%+ of games in all of them (German) except for the g-101. Based on my experience, it's pretty easy to be highly influential without doing much direct damage.

Edited by cometguy
  • Cool 10
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,371
Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles

I'm sure his comment section is filled with phrases like, "Adapt!" "Learn to play!" "I have no problem with radar in my t5 DD, you're just bad." etc etc

  • Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

Interesting. I've only recently taken up destroyers (mainly Germany) and win 60%+ of games in all of them except for the g-101. Based on my experience, it's pretty easy to be highly influential without doing much direct damage.

Spotting,  capping, area denial,  and even attracting fire that has no chance of hitting you.  Not to mention the damage you can actually do when an ambush goes right.  DD's are the only class that I am afraid of in game because of how dangerous they are if you don't have a counter to them.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
742
[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,156 posts
1,652 battles
1 minute ago, cometguy said:

Interesting. I've only recently taken up destroyers (mainly Germany) and win 60%+ of games in all of them except for the g-101. Based on my experience, it's pretty easy to be highly influential without doing much direct damage.

This is the problem.  DD players don't want to use their stealth to help their team win, they want to use their stealth to be elite assassins.

In fairness to the DDs, using their stealth to help their team win is not adequately rewarded.

  • Cool 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
585
[ARRGG]
Members
4,677 posts
7,503 battles

Your going to have to change your DD play, I’m now use to taking flac for not capping at the beginning of the game till I figure we’re the Radar is in my Yeuyang 

ive also  changed my faster 10k+ Deepwater Torps for slower 13k Deepwater torps, do not use the Radar option on this ship,Radar does make gameplay more cautious... boring..and limits play options 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,338
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,414 posts
4,309 battles

The slow speed isn't the issue the OP makes it out to be imho. There are already fairly slow DDs like Kagero, Asashio, Harekaze, Yugumo and Akizuki which exist and have had to deal with radar cruisers for a long time. They will have to deal with more when USN CLs become flavour of the season but I think with smarter play DDs will be okay.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
679
[MIA-A]
Members
1,975 posts
6,570 battles

I'm decent at high tier destroyers but recently they have been no fun to play. So I haven't played them much at all.

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
755
[SF-A]
Members
2,849 posts
5,548 battles

The hard part for DDs is finding their role. In this meta, it's best as a cap-focused role, and failing that (or being swarmed by radar) it's to spot and screen. However, it is never explained, and poorly rewarded.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67
[AP-B]
Members
174 posts
1,512 battles
5 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Interesting. I've only recently taken up destroyers (mainly Germany) and win 60%+ of games in all of them (German) except for the g-101. Based on my experience, it's pretty easy to be highly influential without doing much direct damage.

You have a point, but even with 50% extra xp on winning, the aggregated data still shows that DDs have the lowest xp/dmg/kills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,303
[HINON]
Members
8,854 posts

Ah yes the extreme click bait argument to drive views. Insert "this is the end of dds" "this is the end of bbs" "this is the end of cvs" "this is the end of cruisers" etc. = clicks = profit.

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
411 posts

I'm no DD guru by any stretch but I don't find them a struggle. Have all the Tier X DDs and a smattering of one or two at every tier to go back to. You need to play with your team and understand other ships capabilities. If you don't have the patience or memory for it, your chances of succeeding at the type are pretty slim.

I find whining about radars a cop out for those who can't operate on the parameters of finding support from your teammates. The US CLs have rice paper for armor, and when the hype dies down, the radars won't be as concentrated. It still won't stop me from dropping in in my Gearing, Shim, Fletcher, Yueyang, or Akizuki from time-to-time.

Edited by KonigstigerVII
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
679
[MIA-A]
Members
1,975 posts
6,570 battles
16 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Ah yes the extreme click bait argument to drive views. Insert "this is the end of dds" "this is the end of bbs" "this is the end of cvs" "this is the end of cruisers" etc. = clicks = profit.

"this is the end of clickbait!"

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,635
[INTEL]
Members
8,441 posts
25,340 battles
36 minutes ago, Berlimawurst said:

Here is the video 

His main points:

1. Most current ingame DDs will continue to suffer as the meta goes (more radar and more stealthy radar yes!)

2. The only two DDs that would survive this meta are the Grozovoi and Khabarovsk ( I am not a DD!!:Smile_playing:)

3. Stealthy Radar/Radar through terrain/ Radar n’ smoke are stupid designs. 

4. All of the upcoming new DD lines are terrible because of slow speed (so slow that they are unable to run from a radar) Tier X British and IJN2nd line DDs are only around 34 kts.

5. The current meta is extremely unhealthy as the DD numbers continue to decrease, which will result in scarcity of food for radar cruisers. 

6. He suggests that a new type of engine boost consumables for DDs should be introduced. 

1. Totally correct. But...

2. ...  lacks understanding. The only Destroyers capable of surviving will be those played by good players. The ship itself doesn't matter. This means that radar is going to sort High tier destroyers into an M shaped spread with two peaks at new and inexperienced and skilled and experienced.

3. Radar through islands is indeed stupid.

4. Agreed. Thus far UK line not looking promising. But hopefully I am wrong.

5. No. Cruisers will still have each other and BBs to shoot at.

6. No. Radar needs to be reworked, preferably eliminated.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,076
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,689 posts
10,025 battles

High tier destroyer play is more difficult than normal thanks to the overabundance of radar. Hopefully that is a transient phase.

The worst change at all recently was the introduction of the radar equipped Missouri.

 

WG do think there's a problem, they have come up with 2 concepts to improve destroyer survivability, the first was a failure, the second hasn't been tested but is a double-edged sword with increased vulnerability to 4in HE, 8in AP and potentially is deleterious to any DD AP on DD use. That's not that comforting.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,666 posts
9,743 battles

I disagree with his findings.  DDs in radar heavy battles need to work on unlocking the cap from the enemy radar control first.  You rely on your friendly radar to keep the cap open.  Embrace the temporary freedom from caps and go for damage first guys.  Use that time to spot the enemy radar, get some good torps off.  Sitting there baiting multiple radars isnt the best thing you can be doing for the team.

Slow DDs are fine.  Its more about positioning than anything.  You are probably going to be sailing under 10knts once you have your quarry spotted. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57
[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts
1 minute ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I disagree with his findings.  DDs in radar heavy battles need to work on unlocking the cap from the enemy radar control first.  You rely on your friendly radar to keep the cap open.  Embrace the temporary freedom from caps and go for damage first guys.  Use that time to spot the enemy radar, get some good torps off.  Sitting there baiting multiple radars isnt the best thing you can be doing for the team.

Slow DDs are fine.  Its more about positioning than anything.  You are probably going to be sailing under 10knts once you have your quarry spotted. 

yea i think your rit i think its intended to have dd and ca work together and not has solo warriors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,635
[INTEL]
Members
8,441 posts
25,340 battles
Just now, iamplaya said:

yea i think your rit i think its intended to have dd and ca work together and not has solo warriors

Yeah, except that is difficult to achieve in practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
131
[UFFA]
Members
550 posts
29 battles

Spotting isn’t always simple. You have to spot in such a way that your mountain waifu huggers will have an angle to shoot at their waifu mountain huggers and have to figure out who on your team will actually risk the gun bloom to fire downrage. So you can figure out who it is worthwhile to flush out enemy ships for and when. 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,666 posts
9,743 battles
3 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Spotting isn’t always simple. You have to spot in such a way that your mountain waifu huggers will have an angle to shoot at their waifu mountain huggers and have to figure out who on your team will actually risk the gun bloom to fire downrage. So you can figure out who it is worthwhile to flush out enemy ships for and when. 

 

 

Its true that it can take a few minutes for your team to get angles behind the mountain.  It helps to say in chat what you are trying to do, and once the target is spotted call F3 every minute or so.  You can often add pressure by torping behind the island as well since the radar CA cant poke out without a lot of risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,258
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
16 minutes ago, iamplaya said:

well dont worry i hear there is a dd rework coming ) haha

You do know someone got a Forum ban yesterday for saying the same (wrong) thing bout BBs, this is a bad place to joke bout false informtion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×