You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

Disciples of the Master is recruiting! (Casual clan)

6 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,617 battles

So, obviously Disciples of the Master is recruiting. Yeah, the name isn't great but it's what I could come up with. Regardless, I figure it can be a clan for people who largely want to do operations and random battles together. I'm open to the possibility of trying out Clan Wars, but that obviously depends on how many people join the clan and what the general consensus is among everyone. I just don't want WoWS to start feeling like an obligation, which sucks the fun out of a game for me.

No requirements to join aside from be respectful to other clan members and other players. Try and help other clan members, as well. If someone is new, try your best to explain game mechanics to them and how each ship type best performs and so on. Not expecting everyone to become tutors or instant experts, of course, but simple courtesy's like that can go a long way towards improving everyone's game experience as a whole.

As for the Clan base, the currently built structures are tier 1 of the Academy, Coal Port and the Dry Dock.

I have a Discord that clan members can use, and can provide the link as needed.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,617 battles

Currently have the clan port facilities for 10% off the purchase price of tier 5, 6 and 7 ships unlocked/built.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,617 battles

Never going to find any recruits...

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,617 battles

Figured I'd revive this in hopes I might get some actual recruits since they've revamped the clan base with the new update. Would certainly speed along development of the base if there were more people than just me contributing oil to the clan.

[WOLF7]
Beta Testers
109 posts
1,366 battles

Zaydin, your post offers people no special reason to join DOTM. Here's a few suggestions about "selling" your clan:

• Offer a Discord or Teamspeak voice channel for people, post access to it, and be on that channel, as well as in the game, to welcome curious people. Yeah, that means you gotta learn about one of those and set it up. I recommend Discord because it's free, it's new, and there's plenty of info about it.
  • Tell people what time zone you're in, and the clan's common gaming times (weekdays and weekends). Then be there, every single day you promise, for the entire period you promised. Personally welcome each newcomer.
  • Decide what kind of members you want (age? minimum experience? minimum tier? casual players, or those who want good income and good win records?). Announce these requirements and interview people before you invite them. - Trade secret: if you're desperate for people, accept virtually anyone; the interview is get them to talk about themselves and convince be agreeable. Division-up with them for a battle. Only reject those you absolutely can't stand.
  • Emphasize this clan is a "ground floor" opportunity to become a key member and help guide clan development. Don't promise promotions to recruiter or deputy commander, but give out those positions to the most active members after they've in the clan for a week (two weeks if you're unsure).
  • Decide on minimum participation requirements, and enforce them. You might want to ask for at least 40 or 50 oil per week per member (clan members earn 10 with each container). That emphasizes port development, while getting people to play at least a certain amount each week. You might also want to require that people be on Discord while playing, to foster clan togetherness.
  • Clearly define clan rules. For example, decide on what "be respectful" means, review it with other members, and post it on the clan Discord so everybody knows. Any other clan "rules" also should be written down. If you change the rules, change the Discord post too. I remember an old NASA engineer co-worker who constantly reminded us, "If it isn't written down, it doesn't exist."

Once you have the basics running, be CONSTANTLY on the lookout for additional cool ideas that keep players involved in the clan. Best idea I've seen in ages was to require clan members to use a special insignia as their "face" on Discord. The insignia showed their longevity in the clan. The clan leader sent out congratulatory letters whenever a clannie "leveled up." Some clans use military ranks, but I favor diagonal stripes like the "years of service" hash marks on uniforms, except it would be for months of service in the clan, not years. You could give out a "bonus month" of experience for a major milestone, such as one bonus for each different class of T10 ship a clan member has or acquires.

Another idea I've seen used often is "Operation Days." Certain days each week are for running operations with other clan members. Each member must consider it "their honor-bound duty" to play in at least one operation with any clannies who haven't done on operation yet that day. Finally, constantly ask your members what they'd like to see, and get them to help you organize it.

Above all, be friendly and be positive with everyone in your clan. Division-up with different members all the time, including the low-level ones and the less skilled one. Be sure to talk with as many of the membership as often as possible, even if it's just divisioning with them. Keep a "tally" sheet of whom you've talked with, so you don't forget quiet Joe in the corner. With most players teach good play by setting a good example in operations and divisions. Show how destroyers spot for heavier ships, battleships lead pushes as damage-sponges, and cruisers support both. Make sure you always strive to angle, so everybody remembers about that. When you make a poor move, or overextend, confess it and talk about it - people can learn from your errors too. If you have members who are still in Tier I to Tier III, offer to give them a personal explanation session, in the training room. Teaching people who the dynamic crosshairs works is almost always necessary at that level. Teach them to look for broadside shots. Teach DD captains how to make intelligent choices about torps and smoke. Teach all cruisers and destroyers about WASD evasion, and the need to evade when the gun flash occurs, NOT when you see the shells in the air.

If you've got serious people in the clan, offer to run AARs after each division fight you're in - they're a great learning tool. If you don't know what an AAR is, I've posted a helpful explanation elsewhere (see link at the bottom of this post).

Remember, as clan leader you're chief recruiter, head trainer, morale officer, and the entire IT department for the group. Someday you might have reliable clannies who can take over some of these duties. But until then, the clan won't grow and stay together unless YOU take responsibility for everything. That's what successful clan leaders do ... so step up and be successful!

Reference: more about AARs...

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,617 battles
1 hour ago, Yasha said:

Zaydin, your post offers people no special reason to join DOTM. Here's a few suggestions about "selling" your clan: *snip*

It's hard to sell something when your self-confidence is shot but I guess I have to try.

I just made the clan because I had the doubloons and figured it could be fun to try and build something up with fellow captains.