You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tankkiller123453

Fletcher

19 comments in this topic

Members
83 posts
2,543 battles

I am still on the Benson but I am starting to move pretty fast (I am so behind on DD line but my BB and CA lines are good)

How good is the Fletcher ? Is she worth it ?

And any different play style from the Benson ? (Besides counter avoiding radar )

Any tips for American DD overall ?

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
341 posts
6,569 battles
20 minutes ago, tankkiller123453 said:

YES. It's a beefier and more deadly version of the Benson. In fact, it is basically a tougher version of the default Benson hull.

But remember, any ship is only as good as its captain and the tactics used. If you are doing well in the Benson, then the tactics you use in it will transition perfectly to the Fletcher. Only learning curve you may have is with the number of higher tier ships you will be facing. Not that that really matters as Benson sees its fare share of tier 9's and 10's anyways.

Let me add, that the US DD's guns are for close range combat only. You can lob them things at a slow-moving BB, but it's always better to play it stealthy. I personally never use my guns unless I'm facing a DD that has spotted me, or if I'm attempting to distract a enemy from going after one of my allies; and/or if I'm hidden in smoke. The rest of the game, I'm using torps and spotting.

Edited by Levits

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,268 battles

Fletcher is generally regarded as the best USN DD tier for tier, and many regard it as the best USN DD overall.  So yeah, I'd say she is worth it.  :Smile_great:

[INTEL]
Members
6,631 posts
25,362 battles

Fletcher any good? Best USN DD of all and a serious contender for best in game.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
677 posts
18,607 battles

Its as comfortable as a silk glove.  Fletcher is a keeper in many ports and for good reason.  The guns, AA, and for once speedy torpedoes that the American line never sees prior to that.

[VFW]
Members
904 posts
20,733 battles

What all above said....it's a keeper.

VR,

[ASHIP]
Members
45 posts
9,060 battles

The fletcher is awesome until you run into a gearing then you can hate life, then you get the gearing and you will miss the fletcher. She handles better then the gearing and can bully almost all sub tier X dds and a few of the tier X she can bully.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Fletcher is a good bote with the ability to hide and fire a lot. She's definitely worth giving a go at the very least

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles

I reeaaallly struggled with fletcher in comparison to benson.   Sold off Benson, but If i try to play fletcher like I play sims, kidd, and loyang, i get my [edited]kicked promptly.   Sims and Benson can dodge things.  Kidd can heal.  I went to a full stealth,  torp-only build on fletcher instead, so i don't get spotted all that often anymore, and I only need a 10pt captain for optimal build.    I play it like i play yugumo now.  Avoid gun battles, torp things, repeat.   

[RNDM]
Members
98 posts
2,643 battles

I am keeping my Fletcher. It will take some work to fully outfit a Gearing without selling off my Fletcher but I love her to much to let her go. Miss my Benson every now and then too but more because its sort of like having another Fletcher. Working up the Pan Asian line almost for that very reason. You can never have too many Fletchers, just ask the USN why they built so many. Even WG recognizes that you can't have too many Fletchers since there are three of her class in game between Fletcher herself, Black, and Chung Mu. Her torps will sink anything you can get enough hits on and her guns will shred any DD to the point that if they aren't sinking they are only just hanging on and any ship you shoot at for 12 seconds will probably have at least one fire to deal with. She can out stealth and out run almost any other ship and I have even seen her shoot down well over 40 tier X planes. In my opinion she can do just about anything a DD captain could want except maybe fire single fire or deep water torps and shoot flat gun arcs but you have played the line long enough that that shouldn't matter anymore.

[AAA]
Members
398 posts
5,170 battles

Kept my Fletcher and her 19 pt Captain. Absolute beast. Gearing feels clumsy and slow in comparison, and her torps take a lifetime to load. In the fletcher I knife fight any dd and win. Hands down the best USN dd. 

Own the Kidd and Chung Mu. Need the black to complete the collection 

[USNR]
Beta Testers
5 posts
5,836 battles

I guess I don't know how to DD anymore, then based off of folks comments. I despise the Fletcher, in fact, I hated both the Benson and Fletcher while I loved Farragut and Mahan. I am just frustrated by mediocre torps and guns when compared to other nations DDs. I feel like it just can't compete against other DDs.

Members
1,587 posts
4,356 battles

Eh, you might just be experiencing a potato famine. I ripped people’s faces off consistently in Benson...right to a 45% WR. Back when Balti was a Tier IX, I dueled one over several minutes and won, baited out every radar use he had doing it. In addition to sinking him, I krakened that match, with at least two caps...still lost. That was my whole experience with Benson: green teams too heavy to carry, compliments from the reds for trying. As a consequence, my memories of Bennie are mostly negative. You might just be experiencing the same thing.

I haven’t finished my Fletcher grind for that reason...I know she’s a great boat, but my experience with Benson was just awful.

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
On 6/26/2018 at 3:12 PM, tankkiller123453 said:

I am still on the Benson but I am starting to move pretty fast (I am so behind on DD line but my BB and CA lines are good)

And any different play style from the Benson ? (Besides counter avoiding radar )

Any tips for American DD overall ?

For my money, the Fletcher is the gem of the line.

I played 50 or so matches in Gearing - but just didn't find it to be an upgrade on the Fletch, so I moved my 19 point US DD Skipper back down to Fletcher, and dropped a spare 13 point Skipper into Gearing- though I rarely play it.  When I want to play a T10 DD - there are much better choices.

Fletcher is a very strong ship, and a real upgrade on Benson - very much able to go "head-to-head" with any of the T10 DDs - and an absolute monster in those rare T7 heavy matches.

She has the same approximate playstyle as the rest of the line.  Her torps are excellent,and well worth spec'ing for (TAE on the Skipper, the torp reload module on the boat).

[DAY]
[DAY]
Members
20 posts
5,835 battles

Fletcher is indicative destroyer, at all other comparison sheet they all compare them with USN DD, good firing and torpedo angle, 19mm plate and over 20k HP can easily do any destroyer mission.

Also she is the best AA destroyer if you run it AA spec, DFAA with 4x DPS is devastating  to T9- CV. If you seldom div with CV, torp reload spec can makes her torp reload down to around 80 sec, within decent speed and damage, she becomes a great torpboat too. And if you like to shoot garbage, Gun reload spec can makes her fire 30 salvo in a minute and makes a beautiful rainbow toward your enemy victim.

the best part of Fletcher is she can be played in all style, the best ship to learn destroyer gameplay and the best teacher to train your skill if you want to play any other nation destroyer.

• Cool 1

Members
84 posts
On 7/23/2018 at 12:00 PM, ddoubletapp1 said:

For my money, the Fletcher is the gem of the line.

I played 50 or so matches in Gearing - but just didn't find it to be an upgrade on the Fletch, so I moved my 19 point US DD Skipper back down to Fletcher, and dropped a spare 13 point Skipper into Gearing- though I rarely play it.  When I want to play a T10 DD - there are much better choices.

Fletcher is a very strong ship, and a real upgrade on Benson - very much able to go "head-to-head" with any of the T10 DDs - and an absolute monster in those rare T7 heavy matches.

She has the same approximate playstyle as the rest of the line.  Her torps are excellent,and well worth spec'ing for (TAE on the Skipper, the torp reload module on the boat).

I am curious what skill points you run her with.  I have an 18 point commander and use:

I: PT

II:A AR, LS

III: SE, TA, DE

IV: CE

Which leaves me with 1 point that I have no clue as to what to spent it on.  And start believing that  I better should have not taken AR (Adrenaline Rush) on T2  and kept those for another 3 pointer?

Members
84 posts
On 6/26/2018 at 6:49 PM, alexf24 said:

Fletcher any good? Best USN DD of all and a serious contender for best in game.

hmmmm ....  I still think Shima is overall the better one..everyone fears those 15 torps coming at you at high speed. and will give guarantee flooding (we're flooding Captain!.. she is sinking quickly!!! teuuuuuh - teuh-teuh-teuh. tueh;....... and then you see the tip of the bow sticking out of the water..and then only some air bubbles... 

Edited by sendit2me30

[INTEL]
Members
6,631 posts
25,362 battles

Shima? No. Unfortunately torps can be seen from afar. Once they give them decent concealment like other DDs have, then we are talking.

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
4 hours ago, sendit2me30 said:

I am curious what skill points you run her with.  I have an 18 point commander and use:

I: PT

II:A AR, LS

III: SE, TA, DE

IV: CE

Which leaves me with 1 point that I have no clue as to what to spent it on.  And start believing that  I better should have not taken AR (Adrenaline Rush) on T2  and kept those for another 3 pointer?

I'm not a big fan of AR - I just don't find the benefit to be worth the price - especially on a DD that already has pretty good reload on both torps and guns.

In fact - I think the only Skipper I run it on is a French Commander (J.J. Honore) who gains a slight AR advantage, thanks to his "unique" skills (currently on Alsace) - and even there, I don't find the upgrade to be worth much until my match is very nearly over.  I feel like those two points are better invested in a skill that is useful for the entirety of a match, rather than just the last couple of minutes.  Other's mileage will vary on this, though.

I like a 4X3 build on my Fletcher Skipper:

aF6XFnh.png

Edited by ddoubletapp1