You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lensar

What if Concealment was a timed consumable like smoke or speed boost?

38 comments in this topic

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles

Rather than having concealment be a full-time thing, what if ships had 50% higher concealment across the board, but could use a consumable that would temporarily lower their concealment down to their current levels?

Would that appease those that find concealment frustrating? Would it really stop good concealment players from still dominating matches?

• Bad 9

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,169 posts
8,785 battles
4 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Rather than having concealment be a full-time thing, what if ships had 50% higher concealment across the board, but could use a consumable that would temporarily lower their concealment down to their current levels?

Would that appease those that find concealment frustrating? Would it really stop good concealment players from still dominating matches?

What I would like to see is removal of the captains skill and instead make detection speed based. It would work something like this, full speed would be detection range plus 50%, 3/4 speed would equal detection range, and half speed or less would be detection range minus 50%.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
318 posts
4,601 battles

Adding speed as An element to concealment (especially when hydro is listening) is definitely something to consider.

Edited by cavscout1739

Members
797 posts

How about players learn how game mechanics work like concealment and learn how to use the WASD keys. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Members
548 posts
3,141 battles
13 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

What I would like to see is removal of the captains skill and instead make detection speed based. It would work something like this, full speed would be detection range plus 50%, 3/4 speed would equal detection range, and half speed or less would be detection range minus 50%.

So DD's going full steam would be easier to detect than one sitting still :Smile_facepalm:

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles

Ships slip in and out of visibility at absurdly short ranges at the best of times. Another element to the variability of their spotting is not what is needed, and unless you spent far too long watching the movie "The Philadelphia Experiment", there is no even near-historic justification for such a thing.

It would almost be more valid to give every ship a smokescreen.

Members
756 posts
15,482 battles

I know.... the 'better' you are, the slower your guns reload. Why not? I mean, it seems like any strategy/advantageous skill a 'better' player employs that 'not better' (?) players can't easily cope with must be nerfed. Let's just all play the same boat with the same guns. Would that end the 'nerf' threads?

<As a point of transparency, I am a SERIOUS stealth player.>

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

The only thing this would succeed in doing is increase the average distance between players during a match.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles
2 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

I know.... the 'better' you are, the slower your guns reload. Why not? I mean, it seems like any strategy/advantageous skill a 'better' player employs that 'not better' (?) players can't easily cope with must be nerfed. Let's just all play the same boat with the same guns. Would that end the 'nerf' threads?

<As a point of transparency, I am a SERIOUS stealth player.>

ALL Black Swan, ALL the time! :Smile_teethhappy:

Neither life nor war is a level playing field.

(And no, I don't think it would end the nerf threads. People would start demanding not only standardised ships and weapons but skill-based nerfs on better players as you suggested/mocked in the opening to your post. No potato left behind!)

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

I think this would only make things worse.

Members
3,774 posts
35 minutes ago, Lensar said:

I think it would probably make a lot of players mad.  Personally concealment does not need a timer.  But then again I could be wrong.  But preferably the concealment should not be messed with at all.  Fine the way it is.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,169 posts
8,785 battles
12 minutes ago, CorradoG60 said:

So DD's going full steam would be easier to detect than one sitting still :Smile_facepalm:

The bow wave, wake, and smoke are much easier to spot when a ship is at speed, this applies as much to BB's as it does DD's. There would have to be a minimum it could drop to and I was throwing out a general idea.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Lensar said:

That would work great as a mechanic for BBs and cruisers.  They wouldn't be able to hide like they do now.  BBs wouldn't be able to snipe as easily.  Cruisers wouldn't be able to move to island cover as easily to HE spam any more, so that's good too.  We could leave DDs out of this since there is radar to detect them already, and someone needs to spot or the game would just be a bigger camp fest.  The best part is WG would love it.  Shorter matches.

Just now, torpsRus said:

I think it would probably make a lot of players mad.  Personally concealment does not need a timer.  But then again I could be wrong.  But preferably the concealment should not be messed with at all.  Fine the way it is.  

Now people don't want to mess with concealment. :Smile_facepalm:

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,886 posts
8,176 battles

Hmmm...welll....hmmmm......NO.

sorry but the factors that make concealment are steady tendencies involved with ship size, type and outfitting.

Members
449 posts
12,213 battles

I would prefer that certain captain skills were single class only.

Stealth ability to DDs

Adrenalin rush or expert loader to BBs.

Demo Expert Cruisers.

CVs already have class specific skills.

This way you wouldn't have those BBs that out stealth cruisers and cruisers that can just pop radar the second they are spotted.

Edited by Prothall
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,748 posts
9,453 battles

This was done in the past with engine boost and specifically removed because it was confusing.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,910 posts
3,297 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The bow wave, wake, and smoke are much easier to spot when a ship is at speed, this applies as much to BB's as it does DD's. There would have to be a minimum it could drop to and I was throwing out a general idea.

The only problem with your speed idea:

Looking only at tier 10:

3/4 speed of the current fastest DD in the game is 32.25 (from 43 knots)... Slower than a good chunk of cruisers in the game.

second fastest DD: would have a speed of 29.625 (from 39.5 knots)... slower than some battleships

So a DD either maintains concealment, and gets spotted and gunned down, or attempts to flee, gets spotted and gunned down. There is literally 0 escape for a destroyer now... So guess what: passive DD play means cruisers would now have to scout... Oh but they can be dealt with, with ease, so Battleships better step up their game, and start spotting for the rest of the team... oh but they're get gunned down easier because they are now the only targets.

ISLAND HUMPING META TO THE EXTREME!!!

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
48 minutes ago, SteelClaw said:

How about players learn how game mechanics work like concealment and learn how to use the WASD keys. 

We tried that. It got us torp detection nerfs, RPF, and radar.

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

This was suggested. People freaked out and there was crying and fainting.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,748 posts
9,453 battles
1 minute ago, Lensar said:

We tried that. It got us torp detection nerfs, RPF, and radar.

This was suggested. People freaked out and there was crying and fainting.

No. Reasonable people pointed out that it was tried with speed boost and removed because it wasn't a good idea.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

I remember a time long ago that your concealment increases when you use your engine boost

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
5 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

No. Reasonable people pointed out that it was tried with speed boost and removed because it wasn't a good idea.

You're right, radar was a much better solution. lol