You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Getting the Hang of the New Cleveland

22 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

The old tier VI Cleveland dominated mid-tier CVs and scenarios. The tier VIII Cleveland plays a bit differently, mainly because it usually is a rather medium-size fish swimming among the likes of the Des Moines, Zao, and Montana. It took me a while to get the hang of the way the ship should be played in tier X games.

Gone are the days when the Cleveland just sallied forth into battle knowing that it could tank hits while it burned a cruiser or even a BB to the waterline. Tier X BBs, if lucky, can one salvo the Cleveland. Also, tier X CAs can easily take it out in a 1 v 1 firefight.

At tier X, the Cleveland must be stealthy and take advantage of cover. Those high shell arcs can rain down destruction while the Cleveland remains undetected. I tend to like to rush in and brawl but brawling is is not for the new Cleveland.

As far as radar is concerned, I use it but don't rely on it. Radar is good when creeping around the end of an island to tell if something is waiting there. I've also found that it will oftentimes send DDs scurrying from a cap, whether or not they are actually being fired upon.

As for tier X planes. Well, the Cleveland is no longer the AA ship it once was. It's AA is good, even impressive, but relatively speaking it doesn't dominate planes like it once did.

I guess, in conclusion, I would have to say that the Cleveland has gone from awesome to merely good. I'm looking forward to grinding up the CL line though. If the Cleveland can adjust and do well at tier X, then what would the actual tier X USN CL do?     

shot-18_06.24_09_36.56-0203.jpg.0f744de3e965a807d6b99a4065005a44.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles

I cant stand it. The shell times are too long for me. And as you say the thing gets nuked by any bb it sees. Funny thing today i saw a nc looking at one funny 5 km away from it and refusing to understand he overmatches it. Sat for 5 minutes saying « its hard to hurt an angled cleveland » i couldn’t believe it. Anyway new cleve is garbage as far as i’m conerned

• Bad 1

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The old tier VI Cleveland dominated mid-tier CVs and scenarios. The tier VIII Cleveland plays a bit differently, mainly because it usually is a rather medium-size fish swimming among the likes of the Des Moines, Zao, and Montana. It took me a while to get the hang of the way the ship should be played in tier X games.

Gone are the days when the Cleveland just sallied forth into battle knowing that it could tank hits while it burned a cruiser or even a BB to the waterline. Tier X BBs, if lucky, can one salvo the Cleveland. Also, tier X CAs can easily take it out in a 1 v 1 firefight.

At tier X, the Cleveland must be stealthy and take advantage of cover. Those high shell arcs can rain down destruction while the Cleveland remains undetected. I tend to like to rush in and brawl but brawling is is not for the new Cleveland.

As far as radar is concerned, I use it but don't rely on it. Radar is good when creeping around the end of an island to tell if something is waiting there. I've also found that it will oftentimes send DDs scurrying from a cap, whether or not they are actually being fired upon.

As for tier X planes. Well, the Cleveland is no longer the AA ship it once was. It's AA is good, even impressive, but relatively speaking it doesn't dominate planes like it once did.

I guess, in conclusion, I would have to say that the Cleveland has gone from awesome to merely good.     

yea i been playing it and even tho playing cruisers is a new thing for me i can say

the cleveland is a bad ship

the guns are mediocre

her hull is mediocre

only thing good about this ship it has all 3 hydro, radar , defensive fire but those in no way make this ship good

it just saves it from being called useless i guess

im.only playing mine to get xp on it to buy the new t9 tomorrow then i will sell it cause its a terrible and i hate it

to think i was exited when i receive this ship in a freedom crate

what a downer

• Bad 1

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

Well you're right that she's certainly not the ship she was at Tier 6, due to how different the high tier meta is. Tier 8 sees Tier 10 extremely often, which further hampers her potential at Tier 8. High tier CAs, with the exception of Des Moines and Minotaur, have much flatter gun arcs than the Cleveland, making hitting things at range much easier. BB fire becomes very deadly and accurate. DDs become truly dangerous because they can just unleash so many torpedoes at once. Cleveland at Tier 6 was, arguably, also a platform that relied a lot on islands to perform, but she could do somewhat well out in the open and maps at mid-Tier tend to be smaller with ample island cover. Cleveland at Tier 8 has retained the reliance on islands, but her lack of range and low shell velocity will be much more challenging at Tier 8 than Tier 6. Simply put, she won't win a straight up fight against a Tier 9-10 BB / CA as long as the other player is competent. In case of high tier BBs even a mediocre / poorly driven one will chew her. Cleveland was the best or second best cruiser at Tier 6, with only Budyonny posing a challenge due to long range and flat arcs (Cleveland was certainly the more durable of the two), but Cleveland at Tier 8 I agree it is nothing special. Hopefully Helena and Boise will make up for my loss.

[BIAS]
Members
3,010 posts
8,982 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

I cant stand it. The shell times are too long for me. And as you say the thing gets nuked by any bb it sees. Funny thing today i saw a nc looking at one funny 5 km away from it and refusing to understand he overmatches it. Sat for 5 minutes saying « its hard to hurt an angled cleveland » i couldn’t believe it. Anyway new cleve is garbage as far as i’m conerned

I enjoy the t8 Cleveland. Definitely an island camper but I've had fun with it so far. Just about have the xp I need for Seattle tomorrow. 

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

All USN CLs and CAs heavily rely on islands, including the Atlanta which we all know is really a DD because thanks to Yuro. I think Helena / Boise and the old Cleveland will be / were the only ones that can / could fight somewhat well in the open under advantageous circumstances. Once you get to Tier 8-10 they'll be a real challenge, because Ocean and Okinawa and maps like those.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts

please lets not compare cleveland and atlanta in the same sentence lol

i like atlanta thats a good ship

[TF16B]
Members
8,051 posts
16,991 battles

16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

+1 simply for the positive attitude and overview...

As an example of the opposite; I have so little faith in myself and the ship, I doubt I’ll ever use the T8 version in Randoms at all.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,733 posts
3,912 battles

I ground out the Cleveland in time for her to move up with the Split, but for obvious reasons it was a very rushed grind and I did not have the time to really savour her pre-split qualities.

Given what others are saying about her here, I may be lucky that I didn't - it gave me very little time to become set in my ways, and there is possibly less readjustment for me to do at Tier VIII than for someone who played her for much longer. The increased rate of fire is a definite bonus, though, and it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when she meets (as she eventually must) the ship which replaces her at Tier VI.

Members
956 posts
11,153 battles

Honestly the light cruisers should have a small heal.  Just like the British CL's, problem is WG already gave the US CL's too many damn consumables and are running out of keyboard.

I actually like the new cleavland, its still really strong, the skill floor is just a lot higher.

Edited by MountainManxDan

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts
3 minutes ago, MountainManxDan said:

Honestly the light cruisers should have a small heal.  Just like the British CL's, problem is WG already gave the US CL's too many damn consumables and are running out of keyboard.

I actually like the new cleavland, its still really strong, the skill floor is just a lot higher.

i think your are right they need something more speed maybe or a heal or smoke

something 

Members
956 posts
11,153 battles
3 minutes ago, iamplaya said:

i think your are right they need something more speed maybe or a heal or smoke

something 

Definitely not smoke (don't need more Belfast problems) and they could use acceleration but not top speed.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts
4 minutes ago, MountainManxDan said:

Definitely not smoke (don't need more Belfast problems) and they could use acceleration but not top speed.

yes i think they need better movement to dodge

better rudders and acceleration would help to survive in the open

something

• Bad 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,437 posts
12,043 battles

With the number of times it get tiered up to tier 10, becomes very map dependent.  Requires Island heavy maps and you are toast if you are plopped into the “ocean” map against tier 10 ships.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts
4 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

With the number of times it get tiered up to tier 10, becomes very map dependent.  Requires Island heavy maps and you are toast if you are plopped into the “ocean” map against tier 10 ships.

yea thats the problem im having with the cleveland if i got some cover i can get some shots in sure

but in the open dodge all you want one good hit and its bye bye

Members
98 posts
3,417 battles
1 minute ago, Panzer1113 said:

Haha yep, queued into an ocean game last week with her.. played very 'cautiously'.

I've enjoyed my T8 Cleveland way more than I did the T6. The map selection at T8-10 can be very promising albeit a few maps. Also there's higher HP pools for her to burn and sometimes people just plain don't fire at you because you're not a T10 cruiser. It's amazing

Her citadel kinda lets her get away w/ a lot of overpens from BBs if they don't aim below the water, I'm curious to see how they adapt when they get seattle -- now that has a citadel

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

Fro according to iChase Helena's citadel will also be somewhat gimmicky. I suspect that WG intends for Helena to act as old Clebeland's successor, but a tier higher and with better MM.

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

new Cleveland is quite trolly to kite and burn tier 9~10 BB, remind me of the old Mogami, it's a decent HE spammer for sure.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,317 posts
11,420 battles

I have 139k experience on new Cleveland. 

The only thing I do not like with the new Cleveland is how she is not as tankie as she was at tier 6.

I loved the Heavy tier 6 Cleveland.

Now she is a true lite cruiser and must be played differently.

Her ability to stay unspotted will gain you in her damage output.

Once spotted she is almost a dead fish.

[INTEL]
Members
8,410 posts
25,252 battles
16 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

new Cleveland is quite trolly to kite and burn tier 9~10 BB, remind me of the old Mogami, it's a decent HE spammer for sure.

Yes, if well handled it can survive for a bit. Been annoyed by Clevelands that way several times.

The problem is that the T8 Cleveland is only an annoyance. It lacks... authority. 

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts
6 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Yes, if well handled it can survive for a bit. Been annoyed by Clevelands that way several times.

The problem is that the T8 Cleveland is only an annoyance. It lacks... authority. 

yes thats it its missing something to be competitive