Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

The most astonishing thing I've ever seen

7 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

That would be The Ware Collection of Blaschka Glass Models of Plants (or simply the Glass Flowers) at the Harvard Museum of Natural History. 

1920px-GlassFlowers2HMNH.jpg

I saw them many years ago.  The collection has been closed for a number of years, undergoing conservation, restoration, and rebuilding of the exhibit hall.  The display finally re-opened in May.  If you're anywhere in the Boston area, this is a must-see.   For you overseas readers, the Blaschka's started by creating glass models of invertebrate sea creatures, and those models are the treasures of many museums in Europe.

Here's a rather dry overview of the Harvard collection.  There's no way to capture the magnificence of the 4,000 models in a video or snap, but it gives you an idea.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 7

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,014 posts
9,578 battles

I saw an exibit like this in Kansas city a few years back. Its amazing how people can create such amazing works  of art using only glass!:Smile_great:

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

A short about the most recent restoration project that includes the techniques of creation, as well as some really nice views.

Here's short about the conservation of some invertebrate glass models, created in the 1880s.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

Something I didn't know, Harvard also has a huge collection of Blaschka invertebrate models - and didn't know it.

1,542 posts
26 battles
20 hours ago, Hatework said:

Have you ever seen the Bodies Exhibit?  I dont know if its art, but i like it.

http://www.premierexhibitions.com/exhibitions/4/49/bodies-exhibition/bodies-exhibition-las-vegas

The glass flowers are incredibly intricate. I can only imagine the work behind the building and maintenance (i wouldn't like to be trying to clean the very delicate ones!) I remember we studied the bodies show for an art piece. Looked into a guy, gosh I can't remember his name, but it was suitably macabre like maybe Hurst? Ah, quick google search; Damien Hirst. Got to walk inside a divided sheep and cow. Bizarre but strangely fascinating! 

Sign in to follow this