You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grabes

Smoke on yueyang

17 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
61 posts
3,978 battles

So anyone know how bad the smoke reload is going to be now with prem smoke, flag, and captain reload timer skills? Thanks. Just want to know if they shimikazed my yueyang.

[PNG]
Supertester
5,660 posts
6,455 battles

I wasn’t meant to be sarcastic at all. As someone who plays with lots of Yueyangs, the impact to smoke being longer is not a major concern. The biggest threat to Yueyangs has, and always will be, Radar cruisers which nullify smoke. Smoke as an escape tool has relatively little impact in the current radar-heavy meta, and is instead only used for smoke-firing at long range. However, this type of gameplay is typically more suited for US Gearings with the addition of Fletcher-type torpedoes, because playing a Yue Yang like a Gearing with only DW torps provides significantly less pressure on the front line because DDs can free-float in the 7km denial of engagement zone and not get blown to bits.

As far as it’s consumable timer, the only other difference is it takes 20-30 seconds longer to activate smoke, which in the grand scheme of things means you have a 20-30 second additional window where you cannot smoke fire or safely engage or disengage. The play style hasn’t changed at all, the only difference is that you now have a larger gap before you can re-engage the play style.

Is this a sufficient explanation to you why very few YY players feel dramatically affected? Assuming you’re going full consumable reduction, it’s still going to be about 16s additional time for smoke, which if you are playing your DD safe, means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things. If you are playing super-aggressive smoke YY then 16s is an eternity and you should take the safety recharge into account towards the end of your smoke.

Edited by Compassghost
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
61 posts
3,978 battles

Meh. Guess that's not so bad then. Still don't like it. People on the US servers have learned to turn more now aways. Oh well such is life. 

Maybe i'll give radar a try, though I never se ethe point in such a small actionable consumble when you can't be guareenteed that your team will take advantage of your cheap as hell spotting.

[PNG]
Supertester
5,660 posts
6,455 battles

For radar, the idea is that you can zone enemy DDs out of their smoke, and then take their smoke. Kind of like a hermit crab. If you are in a fight with another DD, you can safely fight any other DD in their smoke because they can’t see out of it.

Basically, by giving up smoke, you become a destroyer hunter. With a good supporting cruiser, you can systematically remove the only close range spotting threat. With the DDs dead or scared off, you are then free to use DW torps against only targets that can get hit by them.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,828 posts
10,762 battles

Radar special upgrade is getting nerfed too.

Members
121 posts
8,806 battles

the smoke changed,i had mine reload in 80 sec..now its 100,,is there a flag im missing?

[ARRGG]
Members
4,682 posts
7,503 battles

Playing Ranked I switched my Yeuyang to Radar I found that on many occasions because of the number of ships DDs are capping alone or with limited help and usually the senario goes like this in a knife fight they often drop smoke thinking there safe after the initial engagement and then I’ll radar them, I’ll may also Radar them even if they don’t drop smoke, this rattles them giving me an advantage

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,828 posts
10,762 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 2:28 PM, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Playing Ranked I switched my Yeuyang to Radar I found that on many occasions because of the number of ships DDs are capping alone or with limited help and usually the senario goes like this in a knife fight they often drop smoke thinking there safe after the initial engagement and then I’ll radar them, I’ll may also Radar them even if they don’t drop smoke, this rattles them giving me an advantage

Radar YueYang works the best when you have friends with you. The bigger and more friends, the better. You radar the capping DDs not to kill them yourself, but to get them killed by your big friends. Or just to scare them off the cap. Stealth radar them as much as possible. I got more than a handful of red DDs killed without firing a shot myself. :)

[ARRGG]
Members
4,682 posts
7,503 battles
4 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Radar YueYang works the best when you have friends with you. The bigger and more friends, the better. You radar the capping DDs not to kill them yourself, but to get them killed by your big friends. Or just to scare them off the cap. Stealth radar them as much as possible. I got more than a handful of red DDs killed without firing a shot myself. :)

I get that result also , I’ve set up the Yeuyang so the guns are strong with fast reloads and turrets costing slower Torp reloads  

I call it the deer in the headlights look when a enemy DD in a knife fight drops smoke and I Radar them however more than likely just before they drop smoke they launched Torps at me so one must act accordingly 

[FBXGC]
Members
101 posts
1,446 battles

I don't have YY yet but out of curiosity, it seems like the Radar version is just a poor mans Z-52. I am sure I am missing something but with DD capable torps, smoke and Hydro, it seems like the Z-52 provides the same role but better. If I have a Z-52, is the YY even worth grinding out?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,828 posts
10,762 battles
20 hours ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

I don't have YY yet but out of curiosity, it seems like the Radar version is just a poor mans Z-52. I am sure I am missing something but with DD capable torps, smoke and Hydro, it seems like the Z-52 provides the same role but better. If I have a Z-52, is the YY even worth grinding out?

YueYang can stealth radar while Z-52 can't stealth hydro. Z-52 has to smoke up if you want to avoid taking damage while using hydro. And we all know what happens to a smoke DD when there's radar ship nearby.

A radar YueYang doesn't have smoke to sit in. It forces you to be on the move all the time. YueYang will also spot Z-52 first and can avoid getting caught in the hydro range.

YueYang also has the option to play like a T10 Asashio that can hit cruisers. Z-52's limited torp range forces it to be in cruiser radar range too much.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,682 posts
7,503 battles
On 9/10/2018 at 11:26 AM, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

Definitely worth grinding, the YY has 5.8 Detection .. one of the lowest

Her Torps are fast low detection deepwater with just over 13 k range

guns are good if set up that way,AA is turned off as it’s not good

Radar- smoke... in Ranked I used Radar with very good results setting up the YY with the best guns possible costing a slower Torp load,with only 7 ships often the Enemy DDs are alone or limited support to shoot at you, The enemy DD often gets that deer in the headlights look when they get Radared thinking it’s a Cruiser and not me, an advantage for me however

in Random battles with more ships I’ve found when I Radar and start shooting I get a lot more incoming ... so in Random battles I go back to smoke and play the stealthy sneaky bugger style

fun boat well worth it

[FBXGC]
Members
101 posts
1,446 battles
6 hours ago, chewonit said:

YueYang can stealth radar while Z-52 can't stealth hydro. Z-52 has to smoke up if you want to avoid taking damage while using hydro. And we all know what happens to a smoke DD when there's radar ship nearby.

A radar YueYang doesn't have smoke to sit in. It forces you to be on the move all the time. YueYang will also spot Z-52 first and can avoid getting caught in the hydro range.

YueYang also has the option to play like a T10 Asashio that can hit cruisers. Z-52's limited torp range forces it to be in cruiser radar range too much.

1 hour ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Definitely worth grinding, the YY has 5.8 Detection .. one of the lowest

Her Torps are fast low detection deepwater with just over 13 k range

guns are good if set up that way,AA is turned off as it’s not good

Radar- smoke... in Ranked I used Radar with very good results setting up the YY with the best guns possible costing a slower Torp load,with only 7 ships often the Enemy DDs are alone or limited support to shoot at you, The enemy DD often gets that deer in the headlights look when they get Radared thinking it’s a Cruiser and not me, an advantage for me however

in Random battles with more ships I’ve found when I Radar and start shooting I get a lot more incoming ... so in Random battles I go back to smoke and play the stealthy sneaky bugger style

fun boat well worth it

Does the  lack of torp spotting and limited duration of radar vs the seemingly forever Hydro balance those factors some.  As for the Z-52's smoke, I largely feel like it gets two smokes, your own personal smoke and then the one you steal from the DD's you push out using your hydro(YY does this too from what you all have sai.). I hadn't really considered the extra range on the DWTs tbh. How much time do you spend skirting radar range and actively torping? Devil's Advocate and curiosity aside, I think you guys have convinced me of the merits of the PA line and it will be on my short list of DD lines to push.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,682 posts
7,503 battles
2 hours ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

Does the  lack of torp spotting and limited duration of radar vs the seemingly forever Hydro balance those factors some.  As for the Z-52's smoke, I largely feel like it gets two smokes, your own personal smoke and then the one you steal from the DD's you push out using your hydro(YY does this too from what you all have sai.). I hadn't really considered the extra range on the DWTs tbh. How much time do you spend skirting radar range and actively torping? Devil's Advocate and curiosity aside, I think you guys have convinced me of the merits of the PA line and it will be on my short list of DD lines to push.

The YY Radar is  7.5k the Hydro is much shorter in Range usually 

the YY does have one disadvantage over Other DDs with Hydro because the Hydro will detect Torps we’re the Radar will not and your Torps are useless on them so you most likely will have to avoid there Torps if they get a chance to set up and launch

as for enemy Radar I generally will not cap without first waiting for the Radar ships to reveal themselves or I’ve got good cover and backup, 

while the game is loading iI check what DDs are present and will not go after Russian DDs, there guns are to strong

[AK]
Members
409 posts
21,953 battles
14 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

while the game is loading iI check what DDs are present and will not go after Russian DDs, there guns are to strong

Same with the gunboat ijn dds, as they will eat yy alive 

Edited by Submarine_M1

[FBXGC]
Members
101 posts
1,446 battles
18 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

The YY Radar is  7.5k the Hydro is much shorter in Range usually 

the YY does have one disadvantage over Other DDs with Hydro because the Hydro will detect Torps we’re the Radar will not and your Torps are useless on them so you most likely will have to avoid there Torps if they get a chance to set up and launch

as for enemy Radar I generally will not cap without first waiting for the Radar ships to reveal themselves or I’ve got good cover and backup, 

Good stuff, I look forward to trying the YY out. For refernce the Z-52 has the German Cruiser Hydro with 5.88k spotting for ships and a little over 4k for torps, with a 122s duration w/o HSM1 and 146.4s with the mod.