You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VVoony

Important Change in 0.7.6 update that needs to be discussed.

115 comments in this topic

[CAPGO]
Members
510 posts
3,259 battles

"Please note that starting from Update 0.7.6, when you buy a bundle containing a Premium ship you already have in your Port, you will be compensated in the amount equal to the actual price you paid, taking into account all applicable discounts. Besides that, the compensation rules will be explicitly specified in the description of each individual bundle in the Premium Shop."

This is pretty much a bad move by WG. I know a lot of people buy bundle package for the ship they already have just to stack doubloons. I've been doing it too. But that's exactly what the discounts are for, if we get compensated amount of doubloon to match the actual price we paid, how is that sale? 

This is BIG change if you think about like Armada bundle deal that shows up on Black Fridays. they have like $100 bundle, even $350 bundle and people used to buy those because they know they will get full value of doubloons for duplicated ships and that is a good deal for them.

Applying this new rule, Buying Armada bundle would be a stupid choice unless you don't have 90% of the ships in the bundle.

WG, you are not a small company. Your game, despite being called "free-to-play", is already one of the games with highest wall-et bar for players. If you are going to call it 20% dicount, 25% discount, let it be what it is.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,836 battles

They recently posted about this, and the problem was that people were abusing the bundles to get $30 of doubloons for $15 and so on. I didn't partake in it at all, but honestly, I don't mind. 

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,143 posts
3,867 battles
11 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

Your game, despite being called "free-to-play", is already one of the games with highest wall-et bar for players.

You've obviously never played a Gacha title.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,315 posts
11,857 battles

Not going to be a happy Shipsgiving this year. That is where I get my doubloons because of the deal. Looks like WG just lost that $500 from me. I won't buy doubloons at their regular prices. It may be time to look for a cheaper game to sling my $1500 a year into.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,081 posts
12,841 battles

What I find dodgy is that they repay in credits when a premium is purchased in doubloons - that's a slimy move.

• Cool 5

[HYDRO]
Members
1,301 posts
3,653 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you're buying duplicate ships to milk the system, you shouldn't be buying them. I can well understand why they closed this loophole, and I agree perfectly.

On the one hand on the official thread it was stated that this practice was known and allowed by WG to a certain extent. Because of the Steam Sale however they believed it to be too much. 

There are a couple of arguments imo against this. First of all, people always look for bargains. We will almost always go for the minimum expenses, maximum gains combo. In addition, there is an argument to be made for people spending money that they otherwise wouldn't. I wouldn't have given money in the first place for the packages, so thats a win for WG.

As stated again by WG, the purpose of the Steam Sales was for new players in order to make a first buy that would lead to a second etc. In the meantime veterans, aside from the ship marathons rarely get coupons that  themselves are very restrictive.

Bottom line, while I understand the logic and in the end this is the IP of WG, I disagree at some points.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you're buying duplicate ships to milk the system, you shouldn't be buying them. I can well understand why they closed this loophole, and I agree perfectly.

I respectfully disagree with this. You aren’t milking the system, they are getting you to buy more in order to get doubloons. Sure you get more but it’s not crazy (until the steam deals). My prediction is this ruins the massive ship bundle (armada?). Very few people purchase it as collectors I would assume which means most people don’t care about the low tiers. A big reason to buy it previously was you could get the ships you wanted at a steep price, you would get a good many you don’t want, but as compensation for spending so much you would get the full value of owned ships in doubloons. Now what reason does anyone have to buy it? 

[TDD]
Members
878 posts
7,888 battles

yeah lets see how long this lasts when those bundles stop selling at the rate they do now

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

They never had the intention to give you cheap doubloons. 

Just praise yourself lucky that you could abuse this.

• Cool 2

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
5 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

What I find dodgy is that they repay in credits when a premium is purchased in doubloons - that's a slimy move.

Where did you read this becuase it isn’t true.

[WGA]
Administrator
659 posts
241 battles

As we did mention in our communication, veterans were not the intended market for these Steam bundles.  While there will still be opportunities in the future to obtain doubloons at discount (we are running regular promotions), this isn't the way we want these bundles utilized.  Folks took advantage of this and we completely understand, it was an incredible deal.  This change was actually made a few weeks back and we're doing our best to get the word out by promoting it in the update notes. 

• Cool 3

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
Just now, LemonadeWarrior said:

They never had the intention to give you cheap doubloons. 

Just praise yourself lucky that you could abuse this.

I agree that wasn’t the intention but it was a compensation in order to get you to spend so much. By removing it, every ship you own in a bundle decreases the price of the value. I understand why they say they are doing it but as a business I think I would’ve just done it for specific bundles or have chose to never do massive discounts.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
3 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Where did you read this becuase it isn’t true.

It is true. They recently announced this change. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,081 posts
12,841 battles

If I'm not mistaken, I saw posts with players receiving credits for duplicate premium ships.

So which is going to be for players who already own Indianapolis - will they throw cheap credits at them or give them the correct value in doubloons?

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
Just now, renegadestatuz said:

It is true. They recently announced this change. 

Can you post a link? They said they will give you the same number of doubloons at the discount but I have never seen credits for a ship you purchase announced.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

I only bought those bundles because they WERE a good deal.  I don't buy doubloons.  So, that sale forced open my wallet that otherwise would have been shut.  You got money out of me I didn't intend to spend.

I guess you don't intend to use that sneaky ploy to get my money, anymore.  I suppose my wife will appreciate that.

• Cool 3

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
Just now, Commander_367 said:

If I'm not mistaken, I saw posts with players receiving credits for duplicate premium ships.

So which is going to be for players who already own Indianapolis - will they throw cheap credits at them or give them the correct value in doubloons?

If you own a ship and win the ship somehow in game, you get credits. If you win the ship or buy the ship then go purchase it with real money, you get doubloons.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
2 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Can you post a link? They said they will give you the same number of doubloons at the discount but I have never seen credits for a ship you purchase announced.

Octavian as well as some other devs made an announcement on reddit. I believe it was discussed on here as well.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,081 posts
12,841 battles

Just like the beginning of every random match - there are players who sow confusion, contradict themselves and others, or generally don't know wth is going on but need to speak :)

Getting credits for a premium regardless of how you won or purchased it is "SCAMworthy" imo o7

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
4 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

Octavian as well as some other devs made an announcement on reddit. I believe it was discussed on here as well.

I’ve looked for a few minutes on reddit and here and only thing I can find is discounted ships you already own will get you discounted doubloons. If you buy a ship you own at 50% off, you get 50% of the doubloons it would’ve cost.

If you can’t find a link, then it’s not true.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

[CAPGO]
Members
510 posts
3,259 battles
8 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

As we did mention in our communication, veterans were not the intended market for these Steam bundles.  While there will still be opportunities in the future to obtain doubloons at discount (we are running regular promotions), this isn't the way we want these bundles utilized.  Folks took advantage of this and we completely understand, it was an incredible deal.  This change was actually made a few weeks back and we're doing our best to get the word out by promoting it in the update notes. 

I understand where it's coming from, Steam bundle was indeed an incredible deal even for people who already had those ships. But you could have prevented it from happening by selectively differentiating those bundles and leaving the regular bundle sales as is. 

Members
1,752 posts
7,967 battles
14 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

yeah lets see how long this lasts when those bundles stop selling at the rate they do now

Agreed.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,721 posts
3,894 battles
7 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

As we did mention in our communication, veterans were not the intended market for these Steam bundles. 

I would be interested to know what WG's definition of "Veteran" is.

I've been playing since August last year, and up until that point I was militantly free to play. I got tempted because the Steam bundles were incredibly cheap (especially the Ishizuchi), and they came at a time when I'd been persuaded to spend money on doubloons for permanent camo, because those were 50% off and I'd seen how useful they were on my T6 Cleveland (bought with won doubloons) and Normandie (won the Ocean liner camo).

I got a whole bunch of cheap ships that I really enjoy playing, even if most of them are sitting in port during the Indy marathon, and the wallet has been loosened for other, more expensive things I found specifically desirable for various reasons (e.g. Warspite, Gallant).

The thought of buying a ship just to milk its doubloon value was never something that occurred to me.

I have always suspected the Armada bundles were for new players who wanted it all in one big buy. That market isn't going to go away in a hurry, IMO.