Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mrh308

Gnevny- What is the point?

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

88
[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles

I'm trying the Gnevny again (ground through it when it was the old tier 5) and I'm genuinely unsure what its point is.  It plays differently than Podvoisky/Minsk because of the detection and speed difference.  And Fushun and Anshan both seem superior ships by virtue of longer range torpedoes.  Is there something about the Gnevny I am missing?  Or is it just filling a slot in the tech tree and I should sell it ASAP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

You play it like you do the rest of the Russian DDs, you run around at long range lighting things on fire and when you get focused too much then you go silent or pop your smoke and keep shooting.  The torps are a self defense/yolo weapon, you should generally forget you have them.  I've seen so many suicidal rushes at the beginning of the game from players trying to get their short range torps off at something.

 

e: you're not missing anything, it's just a "more of the same" boat for the line

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
459
[MIA-A]
Members
2,013 posts
9,612 battles

You are correct. It only differs from Fushun in torps.  I suppose the tradeoff is you can hit DDs with your torps in Gnevny, while Fushun can't. Anshan has worse concealment at least. Honestly, I don't know why WG put a basically better Gnevny on the PA line at the same tier. It smacks of powercreep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
459
[MIA-A]
Members
2,013 posts
9,612 battles
1 minute ago, Deviathan said:

You play it like you do the rest of the Russian DDs, you run around at long range lighting things on fire and when you get focused too much then you go silent or pop your smoke and keep shooting.  The torps are a self defense/yolo weapon, you should generally forget you have them.  I've seen so many suicidal rushes at the beginning of the game from players trying to get their short range torps off at something.

I've actually found a full stealth build works rather well on Gnevny. 6.1km conceal is enough to contest caps, and you can be surprisingly effective in going after enemy DDs.  Unorthodox, sure, but works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles
Just now, thegamefilmguruman said:

I've actually found a full stealth build works rather well on Gnevny. 6.1km conceal is enough to contest caps, and you can be surprisingly effective in going after enemy DDs.  Unorthodox, sure, but works.

Yeah when I was running it, I ran a full concealment build as well.  It's extremely handy being able to actually cap or disengage at short-ish ranges.  I actually stuck to concealment builds until I got to the Tashkent, would just pew pew until it got a little too hot then go dark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
459
[MIA-A]
Members
2,013 posts
9,612 battles
23 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

Yeah when I was running it, I ran a full concealment build as well.  It's extremely handy being able to actually cap or disengage at short-ish ranges.  I actually stuck to concealment builds until I got to the Tashkent, would just pew pew until it got a little too hot then go dark.

Interestingly, when I first played through Gnevny it was T5. I didn't do anything with concealment until Udaloi. When they moved it to T6 I tried the concealment build.  It's a decent ship, Fushun just has no business existing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,374
[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,947 battles
45 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

I've actually found a full stealth build works rather well on Gnevny. 6.1km conceal is enough to contest caps, and you can be surprisingly effective in going after enemy DDs.  Unorthodox, sure, but works.

It does, until you have to try actively dodging while attempting to keep your guns on target.  Those turrets need some serious WD-40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,718
[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,942 battles
23 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

It's a decent ship, Fushun just has no business existing.

Especially if you're the sort of player who has already bought themselves an Anshan (which is the Fushun with standard torpedoes). If I didn't want my Free XP for the Nelson so badly, I'd zip past the Fushun and what's left of the Jianwei straight to the Gadjah Mada. But the only reason I wanted the Gadjah is her British-ness, and by the time I grind my way up there the UK DD's will probably be out anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
459
[MIA-A]
Members
2,013 posts
9,612 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Especially if you're the sort of player who has already bought themselves an Anshan (which is the Fushun with standard torpedoes). If I didn't want my Free XP for the Nelson so badly, I'd zip past the Fushun and what's left of the Jianwei straight to the Gadjah Mada. But the only reason I wanted the Gadjah is her British-ness, and by the time I grind my way up there the UK DD's will probably be out anyway.

Well, Anshan is a bit different on the stealth, but basically, yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
526
[KP]
Members
1,997 posts
18,433 battles
1 hour ago, mrh308 said:

I'm trying the Gnevny again (ground through it when it was the old tier 5) and I'm genuinely unsure what its point is.  It plays differently than Podvoisky/Minsk because of the detection and speed difference.  And Fushun and Anshan both seem superior ships by virtue of longer range torpedoes.  Is there something about the Gnevny I am missing?  Or is it just filling a slot in the tech tree and I should sell it ASAP?

I'm the #1 NA player in the Gnevny my captain build is straight gunboat CE is for kitties. PT, EM, LS, BFT, AFT, DE and IFHE are the skills you need to be a Chad Unicum in the Gnevny.

It hilarious how bad people are with this ship.

What it does well is Hunter/ killer with stealthier teammates.

Get on a flank and deny the reds the ability to push. The 2 line and the 9 line on most maps. The best part is if you are doing flank denial your farming mass damage while your teammates can push the other flank or help blap all the ships you have set on fire.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,352
[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
2 hours ago, mrh308 said:

I'm trying the Gnevny again (ground through it when it was the old tier 5) and I'm genuinely unsure what its point is.  It plays differently than Podvoisky/Minsk because of the detection and speed difference.  And Fushun and Anshan both seem superior ships by virtue of longer range torpedoes.  Is there something about the Gnevny I am missing?  Or is it just filling a slot in the tech tree and I should sell it ASAP?

Kept mine.

Gnevny plays no different from the Podvoisky and Minsk, or nearly every other VMF DD in the tech tree.  You have just one job: Just take a wide flank of wherever the fighting is occurring and pew pew at long range, while drawing return fire (that will mostly miss anyway if you're kiting) so your teammates can do what they do less impeded.  That's all you should be doing in Russian DDs.

You shouldn't care at all about detection, no matter what the numbers are.  Who cares if you're spotted?  Your job is to distract the opposing team's flank, even solo, and raise their blood pressure.

Leave the capping to more stealthy DDs, or for grabbing a red cap later in the match.

Most people badly misplay VMF DDs.  They have no clue.  These are the easiest boats to play in the game, but they are not to be played like conventional destroyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles

This is not asking how to play the ship but rather does it offer anything the Anshan or Fushun do not.  So far the answer is no which is what I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,633
[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles

Look up the videos of @Lightningeron Youtube. Many tips and tactics on how to play Gnevny in Randoms and also in different operations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
105
[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,441 battles
33 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

This is not asking how to play the ship but rather does it offer anything the Anshan or Fushun do not.  So far the answer is no which is what I thought.

So basically you are asking for the differences between Gnevy, Fushun, and Anshan?

Gnevy and Fushun are nearly identical. The only real differences are that Fushun has a slightly better rudder and 8 km deep water torpedoes (doesn't affect DDs) and Gnevy has 4 km normal torpedoes.

Anshan has slightly worse concealment compared to the other two at 6.3 km minimum versus 6.1 km minimum for Gnevy and Anshan, but has the best torpedoes at 8 km normal torpedoes. Its camouflage also has the +100% free exp bonus which the others don't have.

If you are looking to save port slots or something, functionally all you need is the Anshan if you have it. I personally have kept all three but you could sort of say I am collecting Gnevy class ships, still looking for the elusive Gremy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
440
[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,886 battles

I just recently unlocked Gnevny.  But the VMF DD's seem like a big contradiction to me.  Short range torps, but poor concealment.  Good guns, but horrid turret traverse.  You can out turn your guns in a knife fight, so a knife fight is a real pain.  I'll take it into some Ops or PvE and try to get the hang of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
526
[KP]
Members
1,997 posts
18,433 battles
2 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I just recently unlocked Gnevny.  But the VMF DD's seem like a big contradiction to me.  Short range torps, but poor concealment.  Good guns, but horrid turret traverse.  You can out turn your guns in a knife fight, so a knife fight is a real pain.  I'll take it into some Ops or PvE and try to get the hang of it.  

If you are knife fighting you are doing it wrong.

When you spot a DD you break hard left or right and do a 180 once your back turrets are on then you slew your boat to get your forward turrets on. You are holding left mouse click down this whole time. Speed boost is a plus in this situation. I'm literally spelling out the best way to combat enemy DD's in RU for pretty much the entire line. 

I have over 3K battles just in RU DD's so I should know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
440
[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,886 battles
39 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

I'm literally spelling out the best way to combat enemy DD's in RU for pretty much the entire line. 

Understand.

But I've just never been able to make the RU DD's work.  Then again, I have a hard time making my brain work.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[WOLFB]
Members
417 posts
3,626 battles

I have a lot of fun in Russian DDs. Should I keep the Gnevny when I upgrade to the Minsk? Why or why not?

More specifically:

For the ships themselves, is one more fun to play than the other? Do they play differently enough from each other that they are both worth keeping, or is one clearly more fun/better than the other?

And within the larger game, is it good to have both Tier 6 and Tier 7 boats? Tier 6 for most of the Operations and Tier 7 is better match making or a better credit/XP earner? In other words: even if Gnevny & Minsk are very similar, should I keep them both for meta reasons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
105
[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,441 battles
14 hours ago, IronMike11B4O said:

If you are knife fighting you are doing it wrong.

When you spot a DD you break hard left or right and do a 180 once your back turrets are on then you slew your boat to get your forward turrets on. You are holding left mouse click down this whole time. Speed boost is a plus in this situation. I'm literally spelling out the best way to combat enemy DD's in RU for pretty much the entire line. 

I have over 3K battles just in RU DD's so I should know.

There is more than one way to run Russian destroyers. I knife fight all the time in my Russian destroyers and destroy my opponents, whether USN, German, another Russian, etc. Just because most people play it one way doesn't mean it is the only way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×