You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

That Ship You Should Do Well In But Don’t

52 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,523 posts
24,635 battles

Minotaur. I suck at it and don’t know why. Belfast, Fiji and even Perth do very well for me. Kutuzov is great. I’m a DD main and isn’t Mino just a giant DD?  (Not really, but you know what I mean.) But I can’t get a decent win rate in Minotaur. Sure I have some great games with high damage and multiple kills, but it seems like there are two more where I don’t do much damage and/or get wrecked too early.  

The old Tier 7 Kiev was the first ship to really stump me like this. I loved the T5 Gnevny and did well in him. Kiev was a blast to play but I just didn’t seem to concert fun and damage into wins consistently. 

Most recently it’s Kronshtadt. I know it’s a strong ship and the guns are glorious. I citadeled a Tirpitz yesterday. My win rate is ok but damage is lackluster at best. I either push in too aggressively and get focus fired or I hang back too much. 

It just occurred to me that these ships may have something in common. You don’t want to push too early, and you can’t really push alone. They really shine best late game. Unfortunately for me, the game usually has been decided by then. I hate it when some full HP BB pushes in at the end when everyone else on both teams is mangled, and he manages to kill everything in sight for the win. But it works. 

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles

For me, it is the Scharnhorst, as a battleship main I just can not get her to perform to the norm. She baffles me.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,523 posts
24,635 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

For me, it is the Scharnhorst, as a battleship main I just can not get her to perform to the norm. She baffles me.

And there are ships on the opposite end of the spectrum. I love Scharnhorst!   North Carolina worked for me right off the bat despite the fact that I’d worked up the German BB line first and they are very different. 

Yamato frustrates me but at least I know why. Patience is not one of my virtues. I have some but that’s not one of them. 

[DRAH]
Members
93 posts
3,186 battles

Alsace - I can rock the Cardinal and even beat the mighty Yamato 1-1 in her but Alsace I suck wholesale.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,728 posts
11,128 battles

The Grozovoi, as try as I might I cannot get wins in it, I do decent damage, cap and spot, but when I play it, it's like a message to rng jesus to have the team melt around me and game is lost

[O_O]
Members
783 posts
4,734 battles

Nikolai.  I don't play her often, but when I do I find every CV and DD on the red team, and fast.  It's like there's a bell around my neck.  Very likely I have one of the worst WR on the server in that ship.  

Still, oodles of fun to play with the Rasputin camo.  Especially with the new audio updates.

-R

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,955 battles

Iowa: I know it’s a great battleship but I am still trying to play it like the NC and Bama because they were my favorites. Win rate is great in it because I tank a ton of damage that way and my teams have been good to push up but I just know I’m too aggressive and push up too fast.

Musashi: I think this is just me getting trolled so much but I cannot make her guns hit targets unless I’m really close.

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,223 battles

My ship I struggle with is Belfast. Don’t ask me how or why, because I couldn’t tell you. All I know is that ships has the worst stats of any other cruise I’ve played in the game. 

[FOG]
Members
272 posts
4,574 battles

For me it is the Yubari. I just cannot figure out how to optimally play this thing. On the other hand, like a couple of others there are ships that I am not totally terrible in including the Scharnhorst and the Tirpitz. I also do fairly well in the Kutuzov, but would ask who doesn't.....

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,956 battles

Surprisingly, Flint.  You'd think with smoke, I'd do much better with her than Atlanta.  Yet, she has the worst PR rating (wows-numbers) of any non-CV ship in my fleet.  Maybe its the static gameplay that doesn't mesh well with me, or maybe I'm too passive in her.  Either way, I don't really enjoy the ship that much so I just let her collect dust most of the time.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,948 posts
12,460 battles

Anything squishy and soft, with a big citadel.

• Bad 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
579 posts
4,562 battles

Kirov for me. Everyone says its great, but I got deleted in it, no matter what, kiting, island hugging, driving off the edge of the world.... (since its flat you know!)

[SIM]
Members
2,438 posts
4,080 battles

Most of them? But especially anything considered to be OP. The expectation that a ship should just be able to produce big numbers on its own makes me nervous about doing anything.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
44 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Minotaur. I suck at it and don’t know why. Belfast, Fiji and even Perth do very well for me. Kutuzov is great. I’m a DD main and isn’t Mino just a giant DD?  (Not really, but you know what I mean.) But I can’t get a decent win rate in Minotaur. Sure I have some great games with high damage and multiple kills, but it seems like there are two more where I don’t do much damage and/or get wrecked too early.  

The old Tier 7 Kiev was the first ship to really stump me like this. I loved the T5 Gnevny and did well in him. Kiev was a blast to play but I just didn’t seem to concert fun and damage into wins consistently. 

Most recently it’s Kronshtadt. I know it’s a strong ship and the guns are glorious. I citadeled a Tirpitz yesterday. My win rate is ok but damage is lackluster at best. I either push in too aggressively and get focus fired or I hang back too much. 

It just occurred to me that these ships may have something in common. You don’t want to push too early, and you can’t really push alone. They really shine best late game. Unfortunately for me, the game usually has been decided by then. I hate it when some full HP BB pushes in at the end when everyone else on both teams is mangled, and he manages to kill everything in sight for the win. But it works. 

You have to create a mirror thread, that ship everyone hates but you make it work for you.

[INTEL]
Members
6,630 posts
25,333 battles

As a DD main, the one DD I have trouble with is Kidd.

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
434 posts
1,562 battles
5 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

You have to create a mirror thread, that ship everyone hates but you make it work for you.

I want to write a poem about my Atlanta, but you all didn't do anything terrible enough to deserve that.  

52 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Maybe division with a CV.  That will ensure you're taking advantage of one of its best strengths.  

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

Grozovoi and Khaba.  70%'ish WR DD player, did great with the line and the T9 variants, but it's just not clicked yet and makes me hesitant to play them.  I'm also quite inconsistent with the Des Moines and Moskva, although I feel like lately I've been turning that around by playing them more deliberately.  I also struggled mightily with the FDG and rage-sold it, and have now bought it back to try to fix my averages with it.

e: now that I think about it, consistency in all the T10 cruisers except the Hindy has been an issue, so I'm trying to fix that.

Edited by Deviathan

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

For me it's Belfast. How on Earth am I terrible in a British cruiser that gets HE, smoke, and radar? I guess I really get the most out of the heals in the other British cruisers.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,151 posts
26 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

As a DD main, the one DD I have trouble with is Kidd.

This^^^^^

Love my US DD's- but this one??    Can't do a dang thing with it...

Otoh,  Sims, which folks love to hate, is one of my favorites.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

For me, anything OP that lacks a heal or 43 fighter planes, when I play Kaga on a friend’s account, I get NOPE-ed, but Enterprise, no problemo mi amigo. 

I couldn’t, and still can’t, play Konigsberg or Nurnberg properly, but Hindenburg is FarmFest 2018. However, I did like Yorck, a ship generally considered bad, quite a lot, I also liked Pensacola when it was T7, when it was moved, I didn’t like it much.  

[VW]
Members
1,833 posts
12,288 battles

right now its new cleve. i hate her. cant hit squat with it. shells fly into the upper troposphere thus negating my aim, however enemy cleveland shells hit me no matter how much i dance or dont. i cant cit a darn thing with it, about 50 ap shells into a stationary broadside lex, no cits, did kill her though. basically if theres no island and no slow moving bb in sight, there's no point. my thoughts.

Edited by monpetitloup