You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DrewTenma

Fix BB AP against DDs

204 comments in this topic

Members
188 posts
3,554 battles

Hey WG, please fix the AP damage that BBs do to DDs. There is no reason that BBs AP should be doing as much damage to DDs when over penning as their do when they shoot HE. BBs should have to shoot HE to get reliable damage to DDs. Getting sick of playing my Kidd and getting hit for 50% of my health by a single AP shell from a BB. I could understand it if it was HE and the BB took the time to reload to kill me but come on...

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 11

[--O--]
Members
186 posts
17,902 battles

fix dds that vanish into thin air at 5km 

fix dds that can shoot down 20-30 midway planes

remove dd gun damage against bbs blah blah blah.

if a battleship can see you then you messed up and deserve a broadside

• Cool 17
  • Bad 7

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,955 battles
6 minutes ago, DrewTenma said:

Hey WG, please fix the AP damage that BBs do to DDs. There is no reason that BBs AP should be doing as much damage to DDs when over penning as their do when they shoot HE. BBs should have to shoot HE to get reliable damage to DDs. Getting sick of playing my Kidd and getting hit for 50% of my health by a single AP shell from a BB. I could understand it if it was HE and the BB took the time to reload to kill me but come on...

If you are head on or angled, a shell can stick inside. They have already addressed the overpen + pen and they are looking at lowering armor values so AP always overpens from BB’s but would be overmatched by 203’s. I think I would prefer the random BB pen to 203 overmatch. You should search for old posts.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
124 posts
4,233 battles
20 minutes ago, DrewTenma said:

how would u fix the problem may I ask? 

Beta Testers
1,461 posts
3,211 battles

Dont encourage BBs to shoot HE even more then they already do. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,365 posts
3,646 battles
Just now, JSFWRX85 said:

Dont encourage BBs to shoot HE even more then they already do. :Smile-_tongue:

I had a Derpitz shoot nothing but HE at my Amagi earlier. It was sad.

Members
188 posts
3,554 battles
11 minutes ago, Schwi said:

how would u fix the problem may I ask? 

I'd fix it by making BB AP overpens only do like 500 - 1500 damage depending on shell type and other factors. 

• Bad 1

[AFW-]
Members
248 posts
9,729 battles
2 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

and i,ve recently seen a NC do the same while bow tanking

Beta Testers
1,461 posts
3,211 battles
4 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Yep, it def is sad. Dam WG and their British BBs made BB players for the most part even worse. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles
41 minutes ago, DrewTenma said:

You do realise they're actually in the process of doing this, don't you?

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts
41 minutes ago, DrewTenma said:

Getting sick of playing my Kidd and getting hit for 50% of my health by a single AP shell from a BB.

getting sick of playing a BB and being torped for 50% of my health.

also, short of a detonation, no single BB AP round is doing half your health.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
11,128 battles

I thought they were about to start testing lower armour values to address this situation the OP if referring to, now it is a double edge sword as once this happens, ca's will wreck DD even faster, but then again they should anyway.

Lets see what WG gives us to work with.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
124 posts
4,233 battles
11 minutes ago, DrewTenma said:

I'd fix it by making BB AP overpens only do like 500 - 1500 damage depending on shell type and other factors. 

ok so just overpens on dd's then? if so 5 shell hits would do 2500 min and 7500 max. now this would need to be across all tiers if we are making this fair. how would you account of lower caliber guns and lower tiers. chunking a dd that only has 12k hp with a lets say 5k salvo is still un fair  wouldn't u say? im just making the point that a sweeping change like what you suggested would be awkward in some places.

Edited by Schwi

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
11,128 battles
1 minute ago, Dareios said:

no single BB AP round is doing half your health.

This is incorrect, I had it last night a BB shot my akizuki broadside and lost 20k for 2 shells hitting from 15 km, I would say just because it either doesn't happen for you/to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.

• Cool 1

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

This is incorrect, I had it last night a BB shot my akizuki broadside and lost 20k for 2 shells hitting from 15 km, I would say just because it either doesn't happen for you/to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.

in your own words.... TWO SHELLS.

• Funny 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
11,128 battles
Just now, Dareios said:

in your own words.... TWO SHELLS.

We were talking about loosing half their health and akizuki has 20400hp  2 x 10000hp = 20k hp, So it works out 1 shell taking half my health, in round figures of course

• Cool 1

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts
Just now, CriMiNaL__ said:

We were talking about loosing half their health and akizuki has 20400hp  2 x 10000hp = 20k hp, So it works out 1 shell taking half my health, in round figures of course

yeah, fair enough. I suppose with high enough caliber and it sticks in the hull for full pen damage.

Just because it can happen does that mean it happens often enough to be significant. I shot a gearing at <4km with my alsace an hour ago, and only got 4 overpens from 12 shots fired. I think the damage is fine, considering how much punishment a DD can do to almost anything with a full torp spread.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
11,128 battles
1 minute ago, Dareios said:

yeah, fair enough. I suppose with high enough caliber and it sticks in the hull for full pen damage.

Just because it can happen does that mean it happens often enough to be significant. I shot a gearing at <4km with my alsace an hour ago, and only got 4 overpens from 12 shots fired. I think the damage is fine, considering how much punishment a DD can do to almost anything with a full torp spread.

I think this subject had a good run a while ago and it made the attention to the devs so they're changing armour values, maybe,

I know they tried changing the pen values but it screwed the CA way to much so they went back to the drawing board, and now they have come up with lowering the armour values, so if your a BB caught alone by a DD who is charging you, you will suffer for it unless you change to HE, which of course, the time it takes to change, you may already be dead.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,955 battles
8 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Actually this is incorrect. They removed DD citadels a long time ago. A pen does 30% of max damage so the Yamato with 14,800 damage on an AP shell can do a max of 4,440 damage per pen. So 2 full pens with a Yamato deals 8,880 3 does 13,320. There is no way for 1 shell to take half your health.

5 minutes ago, Dareios said:

I agree with you on this. The tough thing is it makes a DD decide to go bow on and try to just avoid shells, or go in to damage control mode and full broadside. That is the only part I don’t like but I also don’t have any way I can think of to change it.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,955 battles
5 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I think this subject had a good run a while ago and it made the attention to the devs so they're changing armour values, maybe,

I know they tried changing the pen values but it screwed the CA way to much so they went back to the drawing board, and now they have come up with lowering the armour values, so if your a BB caught alone by a DD who is charging you, you will suffer for it unless you change to HE, which of course, the time it takes to change, you may already be dead.

I can’t remember the value but they are lowering it so that it would be impossible for BB AP shells to arm from a DD’s armor. The only downside to this is all CA 203mm shells will autopen. Personally I’d rather take the chance of taking the odd BB shell than know if I have to rush a CA I will not be able to bounce anything at all. That will be a ton of damage... 

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
11,128 battles
5 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Actually this is incorrect. They removed DD citadels a long time ago. A pen does 30% of max damage so the Yamato with 14,800 damage on an AP shell can do a max of 4,440 damage per pen. So 2 full pens with a Yamato deals 8,880 3 does 13,320. There is no way for 1 shell to take half your health.

The reasoning behind the changes is the double dipping of HP damage 1 shell can do, Not that I am an expert on this entire subject, but only from what I have read briefly on here, that bb shell can cause full pen damage as well as get over pen damage, which is not supposed to happen, so 1 shell can inadvertently do a lot more that what it is supposed to do.

Edited by CriMiNaL__

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts
12 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I agree with you on this. The tough thing is it makes a DD decide to go bow on and try to just avoid shells, or go in to damage control mode and full broadside. That is the only part I don’t like but I also don’t have any way I can think of to change it.

not sure on the math, but anectdotally I just took a yammy out a few minutes ago, and a single 460mm round landing on a t8 DD did 3760 damage.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
11,128 battles

try a missiouri instead