Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Scharnhorst build

4 comments in this topic

Members
205 posts
4,223 battles

Currently have a secondary/ Survivability build on her. Is this the best build or would BFT and CE be better choices? I'm really struggling here as I use same cpt for my Bismarck.

[-WPG-]
Members
723 posts
3,127 battles

As fun as the Sharnhorst is, I wouldn't put a dedicated captain on her until I had 1, maybe 2, 19 point captains. She's just much more useful as a German captain trainer.  I have a 15 point captain on the T6 Bayern because I play that captain on the Sharnhorst so much (though I started with an 8 point captain from some mission).  I'm also shooting for the full secondary build/MFAA on Bismark, just because it's unique and fun to have your secondaries open up on someone who pops around a corner 10km away.  Also using her - and Graf Spee - to train up German CAs.  

If I got a couple 19 point captains, I'd probably spec a captain on her, in order: PT/PM, AR, SI, CE, MFAA, FP, PT/PM.

Edit - the Sharnhorst's AA strength are her long-range AA, so I'd never spec BFT. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

[PVE]
Members
494 posts
4,066 battles

Scharnhorst doesn't need a dedicated commander because she is so flexible. Use your other KM BB and even cruiser commanders on her. Secondary spec is okay on Scharnhorst, but it won't give you the same secondaries range that those builds will give you on Bismarck and up. It still works though.  I do a partial secondary build on my FDG (no manual secondaries) so I have more survivability and that commander does just fine on Scharnhorst.

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,519 posts
24,560 battles

I just went through this last weekend.  First off, main battery accuracy is one of Scharnhorst’s best features so keep that dispersion down rather than boosting secondaries with the upgrade module.

I enjoy a secondary build for Bismarck but prefer Concealment Expert for Scharnhorst. I tried both over the weekend. Again, mobility is a key strength for this ship, and getting your detection down helps sometimes when you need to reposition.  Or just sneak up on an unsuspecting cruiser. 

AA is another strength and the same skills boost your secondaries at the same time. BFT and AFT work well on every German BB from König on so go for it.  

I had been using my König captain on Scharnhorst, but realized that you don’t need Expert Marksman at all. (König does.) So I tweaked my FDG captain a little to get this:

Spoiler

17194A8E-D800-4E2C-B984-BC33FE2C077B.thumb.jpeg.ec2fa29992bb026a5270dda7872e1301.jpeg

Preventative Maintenance because torpedo tubes tend to get shot out at the most inconvenient times.

Adreneline Rush cuz why not!

Then BFT and Concealment Expert

I’d add AFT after that but you might go tanky with High Alert first. Look at the numbers and 5% off the Repair Party cool down just isn’t that much time.  Reducing Damage Control cool down by 10% seems more significant to me. That last 3 point skill is up to you. Basics of Survivabilty helps in every battle.  However, when you need that extra heal, you really NEED it. 

Note that you could skip High Alert and Superintendent and go with Manual Secondaries and Priority Target (or even double catapult fighters if you really hate CVs). However, Scharnhorst secondaries just don’t do enough damage IMHO to justify giving up better survivabilty. Also, this is my FDG captain. At Tier 9 the HE spam is brutal. I even considered Fire Prevention which might be a better choice for FDG, but I play Scharnhorst a lot more often. 

Sign in to follow this