You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Buying Coal and Steel

32 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Members
1,195 posts
7,604 battles

Before I get people screaming their heads off at me, I'm not advocating this, I'm just asking what people believe the likelihood of this happening is. I personally don't think it's real likely, but I didn't see them adding the ability to buy economic flags. Maybe it would become an addition to the Fully Loaded Bundles for premium ships, though I'd hope not.

• Cool 1

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles
12 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Before I get people screaming their heads off at me, I'm not advocating this, I'm just asking what people believe the likelihood of this happening is. I personally don't think it's real likely, but I didn't see them adding the ability to buy economic flags. Maybe it would become an addition to the Fully Loaded Bundles for premium ships, though I'd hope not.

WG mis-management has to know that a lot of players are just drooling for the chance to get some of those botes. IMHO, they're cooking up some way to get steel and coal for $$$ in the Premium shop.

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles

Given their track record over the past 2 1/2 years, I would think that the only way you'd be able to buy coal or steel would be indirectly (i.e., as random drops in premium containers). 

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,152 posts
3,085 battles
22 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

WG mis-management has to know that a lot of players are just drooling for the chance to get some of those botes. IMHO, they're cooking up some way to get steel and coal for $$$ in the Premium shop.

I think someone already mentioned in other thread(s) about possibility of seeing them in one of those "Loaded" or "Ultimate" bundles of Premium ships. Frankly, I agree with that person and I would rather be surprised if WG doesn't do this.

• Cool 2

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

As with many things in this game, Oil has turned out to be a test run for non-XP, non-credit related currencies (excluding doubloons, of course). Given how one can easily purchase oil without having to grind it out, through the purchase of various premium containers, it is child's play to imagine WG finding ways to get people to part with cold, hard cash to "top off" their coal and steel supplies.

Will it be as part of premium ship bundles? That does seem the most likely route.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Why not is what I'd say.

They now made those special ships a tad more obtainable. Still very hard to obtain, so it would be very clever to get a purchase system behind this.
This wouldn't change much, since you don't have to pay to get one. The best thing that can happen is that WG gets more revenue and can thus improve this game.
Perhaps some people feel like that it are good ships that shouldn't be handed out to too many people. On the other hand those are currently handed out to people who spend a lot of time in this game and are often better than average. Look at Belfast, for those, it doesn't come with purple stats. So yeah, I think we'll be able to buy coal / steel in the future, and indeed not directly.

The only thing I am not a fan of is the loot boxes. I am curious how long those will last, at least on the EU server.

[4HIM]
Members
1,701 posts
3,864 battles

I also agree we'll probably see quantities of them in upcoming ship bundles.  Perhaps in Santa Crates.

[-WPG-]
Members
727 posts
3,133 battles

I think it's more of a play to get X% more people to play ranked and clan wars, the latter especially being a push towards T10 -- and thus 5K permacmos/premium time.  Also agree with the other poster: I'd be shocked if they didn't include steel in future premium bundles. 

[FOG]
Members
268 posts
4,542 battles

Like most companies in this line of work I submit the that four "Primary Corporate Directives" include (more or less in order):

1) Get More New Players

2) Retain an Ever Greater Percentage of Current Players

3) Get both 1 and 2 to play more

4) Get 1 and 2 to spend evermore money

Coal and Steel would certainly seem to help with items 2 and 3. Obviously they would have a plan to monetize Coal and Steel. Recall when the Missouri was released as a Free XP Ship and suddenly Halloween Containers (I think) had Free XP included. Consistent with the above comments I would expect that there will be at least one or more likely multiple forms of ways to acquire Coal and perhaps Steel through purchases.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
781 posts
4,726 battles

Coal, almost absolutely.  I fully expect to see this resource included in the big bundles to make them more attractive, and quite possibly at a greater rate early on to give Arsenal a jump start.

I'm a little more dubious about steel.  Though I certainly wouldn't rule it out, I would be surprised if it were available in any manner other than Super Container drops, Clan Battles and Ranked Battles participation.  The point here is to incentivize participation in these game modes and making it available outside of them would not achieve that objective. 

The company already knows they're treading dangerous ground with this, if there is an opportunity to purchase steel in the premium shop I expect it will be a very closely controlled experiment.  If things remain mostly stable, it might lead to future opportunities to do so.  If everyone is suddenly driving Stalingrads around, it would be a legitimate disaster for the game.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
  • Cool 1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,317 posts
6,885 battles

I don't know why anyone would be angry at something like that. Must be a lot of ignorant people on here. Both resources should be purchasable

To make sure it is clear. This game does NOT exist without the whales. This game DOES exist without Steel, Coal, CB, Ranked, etc.

Keep that in mind.  As long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage that players cannot obtain for free, it should be purchasable with $$. Welcome to the F2p Model.

Or perhaps it is because Stalingrad is not only completely unique but overpowered as well. So we have some players who skill is entirely in question because they feel entitled to a unique OP ship that others can't get? 

Edited by zarth12
  • Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,501 battles

As long as this game does not become pay to win with the ability to buy damage flags like fire, flooding or flags that enhance your ships capabilities it will do just fine, I certainly hope the upcoming steel thingy does not go down that road

being able to get a good ship eventually through steel would be just fine with me

[ARGSY]
Members
5,738 posts
3,912 battles
3 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

As long as this game does not become pay to win with the ability to buy damage flags like fire, flooding or flags that enhance your ships capabilities it will do just fine

We are already at that stage, but the flags (as they currently exist) only give you a slightly higher statistical chance; they do not represent a guaranteed road to victory, as you must first score enough hits and do so before you are killed.

Now if you could buy a flag that increased your fire chance 25%, yeah; I agree that would not be good.

As to the OP, I don't see it beyond reason that a small package of coal or steel could be included with a premium ship. But you must first buy that ship, and I suspect they would hard-code it as with the Steam bundles and some of the current Indianapolis packages, so that you could only ever buy one of that bundle. That would at least stop people with far more money than sense from spamming bundles with steel in them to get Stalingrad.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,059 posts
9,185 battles

Purchasing Coal at least indirectly is very likely, Steel not so much.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles

I'm going to buck the trend and predict that Coal will not be directly purchasable. I've said in other posts that F2P games need to incentivize both paying AND playing. Paying already has doubloons and credits. I anticipate that coal and steel are aimed at encouraging players to continue playing, i.e. boost retention. Coal is aimed at general playing (get more daily containers! get 20k base XP!), while steel is aimed at increasing participation in the rotating competitive modes.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,501 battles
30 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

We are already at that stage, but the flags (as they currently exist) only give you a slightly higher statistical chance; they do not represent a guaranteed road to victory, as you must first score enough hits and do so before you are killed.

Now if you could buy a flag that increased your fire chance 25%, yeah; I agree that would not be good.

As to the OP, I don't see it beyond reason that a small package of coal or steel could be included with a premium ship. But you must first buy that ship, and I suspect they would hard-code it as with the Steam bundles and some of the current Indianapolis packages, so that you could only ever buy one of that bundle. That would at least stop people with far more money than sense from spamming bundles with steel in them to get Stalingrad.

At present you can not buy fire or any flags for $$ that increase your ships capability 

The fire flags even though they give only like 5% increase make a big difference in damage done in battle 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,103 posts
12,851 battles

Lemme see, We all know what cold hard cash is … so WG offers various measurable exchanges for our money and time: 

A) There's the standard Ship XP, Commander XP and "Free" XP with their convoluted exchange rates and one-way conversions.

B) You have "credits" which seems fairly straightforward, until you need to buy something really useful.

C) Then there's the quaint-sounding "Doubloons" which sounds fun and makes all of us pirates want to open up our wallets and burn up those credit cards to get them :)

Now, WG is throwing in more "currencies" for us to slave over and kill each other to get: "coal" and "steel" … also subject to odd exchange rules and one-way conversion. I'm not even going to ask where the iron ore is, which is how you get steel from coal - I really don't want to know and I don't want to see it :)

So. from our cash to the ultimate and fairly unobtainable steel, I count EIGHT different currencies with the only real one being cash and the other 7 being "faux" currencies. The labyrinth of exchange rules and one-way conversions at God know what rate or formula gets applies on a given day is .. what's the word … "FUBAR"? - Oh wait, that's 5 words .. I'm so sorry :)

[WOLF2]
Members
1,103 posts
12,851 battles

Oh dang I forgot "oil" .. make that 8 faux currencies ingame - you see how confusing this is getting? hehe 

[SVF]
Members
860 posts
1,277 battles
38 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Coal is aimed at general playing (get more daily containers! get 20k base XP!), while steel is aimed at increasing participation in the rotating competitive modes.

Just 5k coal for grinding out 20k base XP seems a bit on the meh side for the effort, given the amounts needed for even T3 and T4 premium ships.  I suppose we'll see.  *shrug*

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

sell coal? yep, probabily is going happens.

Sell stell? Maybe, not direct, but sell like containers so you can get a small chance of get a SC and stell inside (yo ho ganble time!)

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles
1 hour ago, landcollector said:

Just 5k coal for grinding out 20k base XP seems a bit on the meh side for the effort, given the amounts needed for even T3 and T4 premium ships.  I suppose we'll see.  *shrug*

Currencies are always about the long game.

[PVE]
Members
8,829 posts
7,254 battles

I would not be surprised to see coal be in ship bundles in the shop. I think that it is possible that containers that can be purchased, might get coal in the future. Right now, the Arsenal article restricts coal to daily containers and super containers.

I don't think steel will be sold at all.

[BSL]
Members
720 posts
14,316 battles
11 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Given their track record over the past 2 1/2 years, I would think that the only way you'd be able to buy coal or steel would be indirectly (i.e., as random drops in premium containers). 

^this^

[INTEL]
Members
8,410 posts
25,252 battles
On 6/25/2018 at 11:48 PM, ReddNekk said:

I hope so. 
WOWs now has multiple currencies. With  one currency I can buy bote A, but bote B is only available in another currency.

Would make sense if they sold them.