You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IwetMyPants

Teamkill Penalty Totally Unfair

8 comments in this topic

[AAF1]
[AAF1]
Members
3 posts
3,204 battles

While I understand it is necessary to keep people from deliberately shooting at their teammates, and you need to be aware of your allies when firing guns or torpedoes, there is one aspect of this that is completely unfair. If a ship runs into another ship, it should be the fault of the ship that RAMS the other ship, not the ship that has been rammed. Several times now, I have been parked next to an island or in smoke and received a teamkill penalty when someone else ran into me. How is that my fault? Also, if you fire torpedoes when no one else is around, and then someone enters the area and completely changes course long after firing torpedoes, this should not be the fault of the person firing the torpedoes. Perhaps the easiest way to fix this in gameplay is to penalize anyone who hits a teammate with a torpedo within 15 or 20 seconds. After that, it is clearly the fault of the person who is hit with the torpedo for not checking the area or heeding the torpedo warnings. If you run into danger without looking, it should be your fault, not everyone else's.

Thanks!

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Members
9,862 posts

Ramming alone won't turn you pink...unless you spend the entire game ramming players....

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
8 minutes ago, IwetMyPants said:

Also, if you fire torpedoes when no one else is around, and then someone enters the area and completely changes course long after firing torpedoes, this should not be the fault of the person firing the torpedoes.

This is why WoW gave you a mini-map so you could keep track of all the players on your team. And all you have to do is look at it once in a while before you fire.

10 minutes ago, IwetMyPants said:

Perhaps the easiest way to fix this in gameplay is to penalize anyone who hits a teammate with a torpedo within 15 or 20 seconds. After that, it is clearly the fault of the person who is hit with the torpedo for not checking the area or heeding the torpedo warnings. If you run into danger without looking, it should be your fault, not everyone else's.

You, and you alone, are responsible for all the ordinance you fire in a match. Team mates shouldn't have to look behind them for your torps. 

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
1,815 posts
12,264 battles

Never torp behind friendlies. And know your torp range. Firing torps in your kirov will only reach 4km so no need to spam them as soon as they reload.

Members
1,770 posts
17,309 battles
11 minutes ago, IwetMyPants said:

While I understand it is necessary to keep people from deliberately shooting at their teammates, and you need to be aware of your allies when firing guns or torpedoes, there is one aspect of this that is completely unfair. If a ship runs into another ship, it should be the fault of the ship that RAMS the other ship, not the ship that has been rammed. Several times now, I have been parked next to an island or in smoke and received a teamkill penalty when someone else ran into me. How is that my fault? Also, if you fire torpedoes when no one else is around, and then someone enters the area and completely changes course long after firing torpedoes, this should not be the fault of the person firing the torpedoes. Perhaps the easiest way to fix this in gameplay is to penalize anyone who hits a teammate with a torpedo within 15 or 20 seconds. After that, it is clearly the fault of the person who is hit with the torpedo for not checking the area or heeding the torpedo warnings. If you run into danger without looking, it should be your fault, not everyone else's.

Thanks!

Your ordinance your responsibility.

[SIDE]
Members
1,200 posts
8,657 battles

Like the above poster said, ramming is not enough. It sounds very much like you have been pink a lot, so much so, that at this point, any dmg will turn you pink. Stop torping from behind and be more aware of your surroundings.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,365 posts
7,938 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

This is why WoW gave you a mini-map so you could keep track of all the players on your team. And all you have to do is look at it once in a while before you fire.

I will actually give OP this one because I did have one where my TB's launched and it should have been safe, torps have a fairly limited range, and no one was near them. And then when thy hit the water some guy like 3 grid squares and two islands away suddenly changes course toward my torpa despite warnings  and make it he takes a hit from a  torp just before it's fuel ran out. The most bizarre damned thing I ever saw. However, it was one, singular freak occurrence. Like, 1 out of maybe 10000 battles where you have something like that where even looking at the map and being aware something crazy happens.

Overall though, save maybe the .05% of times something like that happens where it's kind of a wth situation, the other 99.95% are the guy firings error.

Also OP - the only way you are turning pink from ramming is if you've done a ton of team damage. Even after the changes I have collided with plenty of ships, and even inadvertently shot one because I misjudged his closing rate from the stern because I wasn't going as fast as I thought, and still have not gotten any type of punishment. Beyond the usual trivial xp and credits.

Community Department
2,007 posts
500 battles
2 hours ago, IwetMyPants said:
Spoiler

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Umikami said:

You, and you alone, are responsible for all the ordinance you fire in a match. Team mates shouldn't have to look behind them for your torps. 

1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Ramming alone won't turn you pink...unless you spend the entire game ramming players....

Thanks everyone for responses. All of them are right. Especially about looking around and for becoming pink of course. The system is configured so that it's impossible to become a violator if you don't want to. The only result of your suggestion about seconds or area would be an increase of friendly fire. So it can't be implemented. 
Stay easy. Look at your crew members. If they could be hit even in a big distance simply don't fire. 

Locking. 

• Cool 1