You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheCompGuy25

GPU heat

32 comments in this topic

[-S-R-]
Members
342 posts
7,659 battles

Anybody know why my GPU use and therefore heat skyrockets when in port? Much lower in game.  What makes port so GPU intensive?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GDDR5 8.0 GB

[NOBS]
Members
647 posts
6,704 battles

Never had a problem anywhere in WoWS with my GPU. Its not really GPU relient

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,392 posts
19,430 battles

I have a 1080 and cannot confirm this. Neither ingame nor in the port the fans are running with more then 5%.

Which port are you using?

[WORX]
Members
2,009 posts
13,507 battles
33 minutes ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

Anybody know why my GPU use and therefore heat skyrockets when in port? Much lower in game.  What makes port so GPU intensive?

The game is more Processor heavy/dependent/heavy  then on GPU. I am trying to figure out what else are you doing with what I just told you....

Members
31 posts
537 battles
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The game is more Processor heavy/dependent/heavy  then on GPU. I am trying to figure out what else are you doing with what I just told you....

Don't confuse playing the game with sitting in port. To me it was always common knowledge that WoWs used a stupid amount of GPU when sitting in port.

Like others have said the best thing to do is just run ocean port.

[WORX]
Members
2,009 posts
13,507 battles
5 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Like others have said the best thing to do is just run ocean port.

I haven't seen GPU results just by being in port. So i just assume regardless of what activity it is, over all WOWS is PCU heavy rather then GPU. IF there is a change I just haven't seen it.

[PSP]
Members
6,676 posts
9,721 battles

Many games allow frame rates to get out of hand when in the animated main menu. Try using your video card setup application and setting VSync on, which will limit frame rates to the refresh rate of your monitor.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I've never paid attention to mine, but I always run my fans at a constant speed. I dont let them run automatically.

I've never had an issue with 1060 6gb, 1070 ti, or 1080.

I'm assuming there's more going on in port than in an actual battle. Detail is up close and fills your screen. In a match it varies by distance.

[-S-R-]
Members
342 posts
7,659 battles

I changed to ocean and have turned v-sync on.  We’ll see what that does.  Thanks all for the recommendations.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

My 1080ti runs yellow in port- well ventilated enthusiast level case etc. Not uncommon.

Cools off in game- all good 

Alpha Tester
945 posts
5,186 battles

Because since day one, the net code/optimization of Port has been a complete joke since day 1. They refuse to fix it, but have no problem adding ports....Here is a simple fix I do every patch that seems to help a lot. 

What I'd changed was:

<cacheEffects>false</cacheEffects> to <cacheEffects>true</cacheEffects>

<streamCacheSizeKB>2048</streamCacheSizeKB> to <streamCacheSizeKB>8192</streamCacheSizeKB>

Hit save

The engine_config.xml file resides in the 'res' folder.

• Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
30 minutes ago, RacerDemon said:

Because since day one, the net code/optimization of Port has been a complete joke since day 1. They refuse to fix it, but have no problem adding ports....Here is a simple fix I do every patch that seems to help a lot.

Does this change affect the Port UI at all, or is it still laggy as all get out?

Alpha Tester
945 posts
5,186 battles
15 hours ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Does this change affect the Port UI at all, or is it still laggy as all get out?

Its helps alot, not 100%, but a lot 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,112 posts
12,143 battles

Wow so the Dunkirk port is a GPU stress test!

I was doing fine with a GTX 960 2 GB for WOWS but I recently picked up Forza Horizon 4 for me and the kids to mess around with, but could only manage 60 FPS average on medium detail and kept getting low GPU memory warnings. 

With black friday and the reduction in cryptocurrency mining it seemed like a good time to find a sweet deal on a GPU upgrade, and ultimately came up with a GTX 1060 6 GB for $160 shipped on eBay.  I decided to try my hand at overclocking this GPU to raise my minumum FPS on Forza above 60 with Ultra settings at 4x MSAA.  Now this is one of the least expensive dual fan 1060 6GB on the market right now so wasn't expecting too much.  Still, I thought I found a stable overclock that ran very well with Forza and achieved  my performance goal.  That is until I loaded up World of Warships and spent some time in the Dunkirk port.  After lowering clocks a few time It appears I'm finally stable in the Dunkirk port now.  Time to run the Benchmark in Forza to see if I'm still locked in above 60 FPS minimum.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,536 posts
3,583 battles

IIRC, the Ports are framerate uncapped, and will run at whatever the maximum possible speed the GPU is capable of unless forcefully capped or edits made to the WoWs xml file as mentioned above.

[PSP]
Members
6,676 posts
9,721 battles
On 6/25/2018 at 9:23 PM, TheCompGuy25 said:

Turn Vsync on (settings, graphics, top right of the list). In Port (i.e., the main animated menu) the framerates (and thus the load on the GPU) can go through the roof. This is common in 3-D games.

Edited by Snargfargle

[XBRTC]
Members
1,650 posts
7,914 battles
On 6/25/2018 at 8:28 PM, Navalpride33 said:

I haven't seen GPU results just by being in port. So i just assume regardless of what activity it is, over all WOWS is PCU heavy rather then GPU. IF there is a change I just haven't seen it.

Here you go.

BTW, I have a 1080ti.

image.thumb.png.93b034305e0de6126574b759c67822c4.png

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
174 posts
3,088 battles

I'm running 2 1080ti in SLI, and I do notice a spike when in port for an extended period of time. The running joke is if your room/office gets cold, sit in port for 15 minutes.

I'm contemplating turning down my settings to try and give the system a break.

[WORX]
Members
2,009 posts
13,507 battles
4 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

BTW, I have a 1080ti.

Interesting, I have less GPU power then you and I don;t think I m that high. I may think the GPU is substituting for the lack of CPU power? is that possible ? That is unusually high IMO

[XBRTC]
Members
1,650 posts
7,914 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Interesting, I have less GPU power then you and I don;t think I m that high. I may think the GPU is substituting for the lack of CPU power? is that possible ? That is unusually high IMO

So, um, are you asking if I spent the money to have what was at the time the fastest consumer-grade video card in the world, yet I skimped out and paired it with a potato CPU?

[WORX]
Members
2,009 posts
13,507 battles
1 minute ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

are you asking if I spent the money to have what was at the time the fastest consumer-grade video card in the world, yet I skimped out and paired it with a potato CPU?

I am asking, if I don't have THAT high of a GPU load when I play WOWS. SO asking question like is it possible the very high load of the GPU is being compensated because the CPU (which playing WOWS get the biggest load)not performing well ?. IS that possible explanation? Your results are very high. so getting to understand the why part is well important for everyone not only me.

Others have commented they have spiked in GPU using in port (I assume CPU usage is higher in game since WOWS is not, from what I have seen, a GPU heavy game). IMO yours is very high.Three users is not enough to conclude anything concrete when you have 3 different results.

So far we can conclude yeah your going to have high GPU usage in port. again yours is IMO to high.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,650 posts
7,914 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am asking, if I don't have THAT high of a GPU load when I play WOWS. SO asking question like is it possible the very high load of the GPU is being compensated because the CPU (which playing WOWS get the biggest load)not performing well ?. IS that possible explanation? Your results are very high. so getting to understand the why part is well important for everyone not only me.

Others have commented they have spiked in GPU using in port (I assume CPU usage is higher in game since WOWS is not, from what I have seen, a GPU heavy game). IMO yours is very high.Three users is not enough to conclude anything concrete when you have 3 different results.

So far we can conclude yeah your going to have high GPU usage in port. again yours is IMO to high.

Look at the rest of the task manager. WoWs is only using 9% of the CPU. 

my system has a 12-core i7 and 32 GB of RAM.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,112 posts
12,143 battles
27 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

What's being said here is the port will use up all the resources your GPU has, whether it is an entry level or hi-end setup.

In my case since I'm testing the overclocks at the edge of the video card's hardware limitations, the port runs really smooth until some animation like a large explosion pushes the card over the edge and locks the game.  I have an i7-8700K myself so CPU is not an issue.

Seems silly for me to only run a 1060 but to take full advantage of the platform I would also need to replace my 1920x1080 60hz monitor.  Maybe in a few years though...