You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

When Your Team Wins Via Confusion-Fu

6 comments in this topic

[STW-D]
Members
1,849 posts
5,651 battles

Our team: Independence, Zuiho, Arizona (me), 2 Bayerns, Mutsu, New York, Nurnberg, Budyonny, Graf Spee, Omaha, JianWei

Enemy team: Independence, Zuiho, 2 Bayerns, New Mexico, Mutsu, Bretagne, Molotov, Pensacola, De Grasse, Konigsberg, T-22

Map/Mode: Strait, Domination

So most team's plans for playing Strait, especially when it's Domination, involves either pushing both flanks or one flank's ships heading to the other side in order to bring overwhelming force down onto a single flank before mopping up.

This time, however, both flanks try to reinforce each other, resulting in a massive traffic jam in the cluster of islands on the west side of B. Consequently, only three ships—the Jianwei, the New York, and me—are even trying to contest the caps.

By the 7 minute mark:

• our Independence had died from a snipe by the enemy Independence with only 2 plane kills and 77 base xp
  • our Omaha had gotten nuked less than 3 minutes in and came out with <180 base xp
  • our New York has fled to go join the rest of the team, leaving me and the JianWei alone to cap B and C
  • everyone else is camped behind islands, incapable of defending the caps

So you'd think the enemy team has an easy time ahead of them, right? Just cap A and C (and kill me in the process), maybe try to cap B, and generally just wait for the points to come in while our team camps behind the islands.

Nope! Instead, they decide to push, which ends badly for them.

• The Pensacola and T-22 rush our team's cluster and get predictably sunk, followed shortly by the De Grasse.
  • Their New Mexico gets sunk by one of our Bayerns before the Bayern itself, having been left isolated in B, is destroyed
  • One of their Bayerns gets stuck bow-on reversing with our remaining cruisers focusing him and me on his broadside, and dies as a result
  • The OTHER enemy Bayern accidentally gives broadside to me at 2 km (it would seem he thought I'd be too far around the island to fire on him), allowing me to wipe out 60% of his HP in a single broadside salvo
  • Our JianWei defends C to the death, killing the enemy Molotov and scaring the rest of the enemy team at C (Bretagne, Konigsberg, and Mutsu) away from the cap

At this point, our team finally comes out from behind the island cluster and begins attacking.

• Thanks to their not pushing when they had the chance, I finally get support from our team's Mutsu, who helps our New York kill the second enemy Bayern (but not enough to save the New York)
  • The enemy Mutsu, apparently afraid of showing broadside to our Mutsu, allows me to sink him with 3 citadel hits (and despite the enemy Independence making me eat two torpedoes)
  • The enemy Konigsberg apparently thinks that sitting still will somehow make me miss, and gets sunk for it
  • The Bretagne went east to try and protect their carriers, but doesn't accomplish much

At this point, the match is clearly over, as our team finishes off the Bretagne but amazingly lets the enemy Independence slip away from the cluster of islands he was in, albeit at 2k health. Too bad for the Indy (who was pretty darn good, earning >1.1k base xp and 32 planes shot down on a loss), his flight only resulted in him sailing within 8 km of me, so I put him out of his misery.

The final enemy ship, the Zuiho, manages to scamper out of detection range with less than 4k health remaining and survives to the end of the match.

A [edited]show from the beginning to the end.

Replay/Screenshots: 

20180625_163938_PASB506-Arizona-1941_08_NE_passage.wowsreplay

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 4.55.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 4.56.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 4.56.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 4.56.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 4.56.21 PM.png

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Cool 2

[STW-D]
Members
1,849 posts
5,651 battles
9 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

There's too much confusion . . .

aNvtVph.jpg

I admit, it's rather difficult to understand without seeing the replay. I have screenshots of the results, but I'm still figuring out how to censor the names.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,896 posts
2,193 battles

I do enjoy a good game narration.  Thanks!

[ARP2]
Members
1,221 posts
3,566 battles
16 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I admit, it's rather difficult to understand without seeing the replay. I have screenshots of the results, but I'm still figuring out how to censor the names.

You dont have to censor out the names.  From the sound of your post, you jsut want to show a seesaw battle.  Youre not "naming and shaming."  I post screenshots of full team lists from time to time and have never had any issue.  It sounds like it was  a fun battle, wargaming isnt going to give you strikes for talking or posting about it.

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

It's confusion-Fu but still an extremely poor example of gameplay from your team. I must admit a lot of times I'm thrown off by poor play because I don't expect the enemy / enemy team to be so bad and actually do certain things. If I were you in that match I would have been unable to adapt, because I'd just think 'this team doesn't know how to play the map / mode properly.' Anyway, well done. I'm sure if you looked up those players the majority would be orange / red / yellow, but I have to admit they can be better at their own game and pull off surprises beyond the wildest expectations of a green PR player like us.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu