You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Monaghan, a true hybrid

10 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

What an interesting little ship.  Got her in a container.  Been fighting her in her Farragut configuration and she is quite commendable.

I use my only two premium ships (Sims for dds and Atlanta for cruisers) to train up my captains.  That's their job.  Since I have the Sims, I'm thinking about turning the Monaghan in a 2-10 torp boat because when her name comes up in the list, no one will know if she is knife fighter or a torp thrower until the game begins.  It does mean that she is no longer useful as a captain trainer.  Turning her into a torp boat means too many compromises in both captains skills and consumables and upgrades.  It means that the captain and the ship have to stay together.

Still, is it worth it to lose another dd trainer?  She fights well as a Farragut ship.  If I take her down the torp path, she can no longer fight for caps, she can barely defend herself.  The advantage is that no one will see the wall of torps coming until; it is too late.

She has the potential to surprize the heck out of teams who see her as a USN dd.

So, what do you guys thinK?

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles
12 hours ago, AMajor said:

So, what do you guys thinK?

It'd be nice to be able to think about it.  But I can't buy the ship :\  

[REVY]
Members
941 posts
7,317 battles

She can troll you at times.

The 9.2km torps are great for stealth torping, so long as the 'dumb' BB continues in a straight line.

Having only 2 guns doesn't really do much for you.

The 'A' hull is more forgiving, being more balanced between guns and torps. The 'B' hull is more on the torpedo end and when you are having a good day can rack up some serious damage. On an off day, you end up in Port early.

1,542 posts
26 battles

I always think she's great as a trainer but if torpedoes are something you'd enjoy I say why not! It's all about the fun (and the look on people's faces when they get torped XD)

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles

I am enjoying the boat.  I was on the fence but I am glad I picked it up.  Generally I am a knife fighter, cap contesting type DD captain, and she works pretty well for that.  While I am not a long range, torp ninja type captain, I am also finding value in the B hull.  If you don't have a 10 point captain to drop in her, or you're leveling a new captain for whatever reason, in the B hull, you can play a bit more passively and train up your captain to get CE.  She's capable of putting up pretty decent numbers in either configuration.

Members
68 posts
3,949 battles

I have all of one game in her so far, but the 2/10 torp setup seems to be pretty effective. LWM compared her to a Mutsuki in that configuration, but I think the US guns give you a slight edge there even if there are only two of them. I am certainly no great shakes as a DD driver, but I'm having fun in Monaghan.

I already have Farragut, so I'll probably keep her as my 5-gun gunboat.

Edited by Fitzwalrus

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles
On 8/17/2018 at 3:21 AM, Fitzwalrus said:

I have all of one game in her so far, but the 2/10 torp setup seems to be pretty effective. LWM compared her to a Mutsuki in that configuration, but I think the US guns give you a slight edge there even if there are only two of them. I am certainly no great shakes as a DD driver, but I'm having fun in Monaghan.

I already have Farragut, so I'll probably keep her as my 5-gun gunboat.

Don't underestimeate the torp reload booster for the 4 gun setup.  I've gotten a lot of battleships who think they are safe after dodging the first wave of torps only to be surprised by a second wave 30 seconds later.  I enjoy the Monaghan much more than the Farragut.  What's nice about the Monaghan, is that you can change it up if you want to, which might be especially helpful if you're divisioning.  She may not be the strongest DD out there, but I think without a doubt, Monaghan is the most flexible DD out there, especially when you factor in her AA power for things like Operation Dynamo.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles
1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

Monaghan is the most flexible DD out there, especially when you factor in her AA power for things like Operation Dynamo.

Think that she's better than Sims for Dynamo if she's set up as an AA dd?  I already have 2 5 star Dynamo games in the Sims in her plane-shredder build out and captain's skills.

Something to ponder.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles
2 hours ago, AMajor said:

Think that she's better than Sims for Dynamo if she's set up as an AA dd?  I already have 2 5 star Dynamo games in the Sims in her plane-shredder build out and captain's skills.

Something to ponder.

With no captain, my AA spec Monaghan is defense rating of 33.  Her mid range aura is fantastic, doing 50 DPS out to 4.2 KM.  Long range aura sucks, with only 8 DPS from the 127mm out to 6.0 KM.  Sims on the other hand has a fantastic long range aura of 43 DPS to 6km.  Sims' mid range aura of 20mm absolutely sucks at 7 DPS to 2.4 KM.  Monaghan's INNER aura is 22 DPM out to the same 2.4 KM that Sims has for her mid range aura.  Sims .50 cal inner aura is pathetic and not worth discussing (15 DPS, 1.5 KM range).  So, on paper, Monaghan looks superior once the enemy planes are inside 4.2 KM (5.1 with AFT).  Full DPS numbers are 65 DPS for Sims with all auras active, vs 80 DPS for Monaghan with all auras active.

Manual AA is likely a game changer for the Sims.  I'd say if you have a manual AA captain, Sims will perform best.  If you're getting by with just BFT/AFT, Monaghan is likely best.

Here's a game I just finished on EU.  I don't know if the Sims was AA spec, but as you can see I could clearly hold my own in the AA department.  This is with only a BFT captain, so my AA is not even close to as effective as it could be.  Even if I don't pull my weight against the schnellboats, I make up for the Gallants, Gnevnys and Aigles in there that are trying to defend themselves with wrist rockets.

shot-18.09.22_23.38.50-0470.jpg

Edited by crzyhawk

[LOU1]
Members
2,895 posts
8,004 battles

A bit confused with your question.  You can freely switch between configuration depending on what you want to be in a particular battle.  Doesn't seem like there is a need to make a permanent decision.

As far as Dynamo, I had run her in rotation with Sims and Mahan in her gunboat configuration.  Tried her today in AA configuration and found the two gun setup pretty frustrating.