You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Killer_B15

There is a pretty good indication of who will win the game

40 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
7,349 battles

Ever wonder who is going to win a game in World of Warships?  You can get a good indication from the Profile emblems of the players. You can quickly scan a battle matchup and see if it’s a ringer or a fair fight. I have been told a few times by the staff at WoW that the teams are matched by tier and types of ships not by experience.  This is supposed to allow for a more balanced play.  The argument is  that the chances of a one-sided battle are not high and will balance out over time.   This is kind of like putting your head in the oven and your feet in a bucket of ice and saying on average you feel fine.  I don’t know about you but I like a close battle over a blowout every time. Whether I am on the winning or losing end. That is what makes gameplay fun for all.

This is what I have been observing with a pretty high degree of accuracy.  Let’s take a random battle and show the matchups:Now from this picture you would think this was an even matchup.  GM-1.jpg.dc340c0161e3ad01c236c63a25163c3c.jpg

What was the outcome?GM-2.jpg.96e0841e12bfb3bf784e06c8e1e43242.jpg

As you can see from the final team score this was blowout for the home team. If you look at the individual emblems/badges of the players you can see that the home team appears to have a few ringers.  Not really ringers just players with more experience at winning and damaging the opponent. See the stars I put next to the emblems that these players have obtained.

GM-3.thumb.jpg.8cda9be46160548872a934c64f7ef23e.jpg

What I have found is that the team with 2 or more stared player advantage in the game tends to win almost all the time.  A single star can go either way and when you have three or more you tend to get the blow-outs.  So, the next time you start a game take a look at the emblems of all the players (left click on the player name) and see if it’s a game worth playing. Maybe WoW could use this when creating a match as a quick way to balance teams instead of leaving it to chance. Moving one or two of these players to the other side would have made a much more balanced game.

• Boring 3

[UFFA]
Members
523 posts
25 battles
2 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Run matchmaker monitor instead.

It's even more depressing...

I load it up every now and then and if my team has a much higher win percentage we lose. Go figure. 

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

This isn't super compelling evidence, as 2 of the 3 starred players finished bottom half. Also, those emblems aren't hard to come by. Also, displaying them is optional.

• Funny 2

[EQRN]
Members
300 posts
8,632 battles

So people that want MM to take into account WR when lining up teams, do you think it’s a solid assumption that “great” players will be great in every class and tier, every match?  When you get a unicum on your team (in reality a unicum DD player,  but decided to play BBs today, and sucks in them) are you counting on this person to carry you to victory, and if this doesn’t happen, what, you get your money back, or something?  I’m not sure I’d ever want the onus of having to carry the team every time I load into a match; you can take a 70% win rate and stick it where the sun don’t shine if it ever came to that.  This is a team based game,  no?

• Cool 2

[LEGIO]
Members
2,956 posts
5,370 battles

There is a much simpler indicator in this scenario. Your team has a Saipan, theirs did not.

Edited by Lampshade_M1A2
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[ARP2]
Members
1,221 posts
3,566 battles
14 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

There is a much simpler indicator in this scenario. Your team has a Saipan, theirs did not.

Thats how i know which side was going to win.  Though given the number of planes the Ranger downed, im thinking that Saipan driver wasnt very good, just the ship he was in is.  Ive been in that situation once against a Hiryu.  The dude totally out performed me, but i had Saipan to help me carry thru.   I actually felt a little bad his team lost.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
7,938 battles

Even if I had those badges - I wouldn't run them because it screams "look at me, I'm likely a good player", meaning it may draw more fire. Why I loved having tomato stats in WoT cause my first 3-4000 games I just rushed in with a heavy thinking armour would save me. Once I decided to actually learn and apply, I loved that people thought I was some useless scrub then scream I'm a hacker because I would pen their supposedly unpennable tank with pre-penetration buff SuperP AP rounds when their gold bounced off me.

I'd rather look like some useless potato then some super pro for the exact same reason they have the saying of "watch out for the quiet ones" - because while you and everyone else is focused on the loud one, aka mr pro - I'mma come up from behind and hit you over the head with a rock. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,658 battles

This may be case of confirmation bias.  Several emblems are proof of grinding, nothing more.  Many  just like the patches to the emblems.  I see where you are going, and there are ways to see the stats of the other team, but emblems not the best method.

[RKLES]
Members
7,091 posts
8,720 battles
34 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Even better indicator is there was an Iowa on the Saipan team which carriers nice AA vs the Musashi which is greatly lacking in AA department. Izumo not too good either, but one of those on both teams. The Nelson likely torched the AA off many enemy ships as well.

[WORX]
Members
1,632 posts
12,641 battles
1 hour ago, Killer_B15 said:

GM-3.thumb.jpg.8cda9be46160548872a934c64f7ef23e.jpg

This is like An American every time the world cup comes along every 4 years.  Ask an American which soccer team is going to move on the the World Cup Finals,  his response would be

• "The one with the bad  as s colored flag like the USA, RUSSIA" !!!

Jokes aside, random is random. Sometimes people don;t display the emblems earned, this like any other is the clear definition of fake news.

Edited by Navalpride33

[VIP-2]
Members
803 posts
2,827 battles

Just to be clear WG can barely match the ships, and only just recently found a way to make sure the tier and category are well matched. Now you want them to consider countless factors of skill.

To be clear, i do think they make the matchmaking process out to be some deep level string theory sort of thing, and i certainly believe that i could do better, but then i realize although i might be a subject matter expert in several fields yet game development isnt one.

It will be a long time before they bend to the will of these crys, so buckle up.

Members
956 posts
11,147 battles
47 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Meh, we qualified! 

I mean its a reason to go out and eat and drink a bunch with random people so I will take it.

Members
3,406 posts
6,067 battles

Meanwhile in randoms I am a very average player but purple in ranked this last season.  At any given time I can play really well and make great decisions or just get 'lucky'.  Any given time - every decision I make is crap and I die early.  No way to know in advance which will happen in any given game.  A person can get an emblem and then start a new line and not play as well as the emblem for the next month.  So many variables, so little time and no real chance of ever coding anything remotely regarded as 'skill'.

Edited by CylonRed

[INTEL]
Members
8,406 posts
25,228 battles
17 hours ago, Killer_B15 said:

What I have found is that the team with 2 or more stared player advantage in the game tends to win almost all the time.  A single star can go either way and when you have three or more you tend to get the blow-outs.  So, the next time you start a game take a look at the emblems of all the players (left click on the player name) and see if it’s a game worth playing. Maybe WoW could use this when creating a match as a quick way to balance teams instead of leaving it to chance. Moving one or two of these players to the other side would have made a much more balanced game.

You haven't found anything. You have just collected anecdotes. 

Establish an Excel file and count player ranks, radar, and divisions. Win rate is only one indicator. You will soon find that it is easy to predict who will win based simply on a +1 advantage in radar boats and/or divs. After the match check ranked. On the whole, the team with the most players at Rank 1-5 is strongly more likely to win.

But don't post anecdotes. Collect 300 games worth of data, and post your results. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles
1 hour ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

This was actually the first thing I looked at. 

[TCANS]
Beta Testers
127 posts
870 battles

You posted this silly theory in a different thread, and you didn’t make it any more compelling here. Your claim that you “tend to find” is not analysis. Where is your actual data?  The problem repeatedly mentioned that some on the losing team may have earned emblems but not showing them makes getting reliable data for this theory impossible, even if you wanted to try to get it, which you don’t. Your given anecdote fails miserably since two of your starred players died without doing that much in the battle. Their emblems meant nothing in this case. The top player did well, yes. There’s a top player on every team in every battle that does well. The question is how well the rest of the team does. In this case, non-emblem players on the home team did very well, particularly the non-emblem Neptune and Lyon. 

I get that you’re nursing a pet theory, but you don’t really have a case for it. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,701 battles

I just count the number of Tirpitzs. The team with more of them typically lose.