Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

My strange (or perhaps not) psychological barrier.

13 comments in this topic

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

I started playing this game because I'm a history nerd / military nerd, more of the former, and I like the growing number of ships to choose from. However, I have a strange (or maybe not so strange) psychological barrier that turns me off from playing the planned / paper / mostly fictional ships in the game, because I have a strong preference for playing ships that were actually built and served. Even if many agree that a ship is really good, if it's fictional / a design study / a planned ship rather than a 'real' one I don't have any interest at all, because a large part of why I play the game is for these historical ships that sailed. This prevents me from playing certain lines / playing high tier, along with the fact that the latter has a terrible style of gameplay I'm currently not used to. Not sure if this is a weird thing to you guys, and if anyone else experiences something similar / the same.

For example if I were ever to play Tier 10 I would strongly prefer a cruiser like the DM which is historically realistic, and also happens to be a really good ship. For BBs I'd have a strong preference for the Yamato because it actually existed and sailed, though it didn't do much. 

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Boring 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

I generally play "real" ships. You've seen my stats so you might have a idea of what I usually play.

• Ryujo
  • Fubuki
  • Richelieu
  • HSF Harekaze (exception because... anime)
  • Asashio
  • Shimakaze
  • Fletcher
  • Nagato
  • etc.

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

Yeah there's just that appeal of playing real ships that sailed the seas. Back in the day when I played console games like Heroes of the Pacific, I would only play the real planes and I'd look up information about the designs, their characteristics and their service histories. I do the same for ships.

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles

Protip: Never play World of Tanks or you'll have a major disappoint. :Smile_teethhappy:

I'm not quite the stickler for historical accuracy you are, but totally appreciate it.  (And my psychological issue is playing when top tier -- I'm kinda bad at it. It's odd.)

Any line you want to play but won't due to this? 

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles
1 minute ago, MajorEnglush said:

Protip: Never play World of Tanks or you'll have a major disappoint. :Smile_teethhappy:

I'm not quite the stickler for historical accuracy you are, but totally appreciate it.  (And my psychological issue is playing when top tier -- I'm kinda bad at it. It's odd.)

Any line you want to play but won't due to this? 

1. Soviet cruisers.

2. French battleships.

3. Italian BBs past Tier 6.

These are the ones I can think of so far. And haha yeah I've never really bothered with WoT because I hate it when E-25 can pummel my Sherman (I'm quite sure they won't see each other but yeah the point stands).

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles

fictional ships don't stop me form playing,actually i like fictional ships in game,because now i can see them in all 3d glory.

we have real ships(they are still here in the world) "real" ships(scrapped,sunk,dismantled,don't exist anymore),half built ships(the hull was completed,it almost sailed) and fictional ships.to me,the "real ships" are just as real as the paper ships,can't say they are real anymore,if they were,that's ok,they are not anymore.

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
3 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

1. Soviet cruisers.

2. French battleships.

3. Italian BBs past Tier 6.

These are the ones I can think of so far. And haha yeah I've never really bothered with WoT because I hate it when E-25 can pummel my Sherman (I'm quite sure they won't see each other but yeah the point stands).

1. That's a shame, IMHO. Probably my favorite line. :Smile_teethhappy:

2. I honestly was like "The French had battleships? Lolwut?"

3. Not missing much. Roma is hilarious when it hits something -- problem is that it almost never does. :cap_viking: Still fun, though. 

And yes...an E-25 can meet a Sherman. Sherman is dead in about 10 seconds. Source: Um... :Smile_hiding: (I play on console, but still...)

IMG_20180625_172213.jpg

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I really enjoy the game and I for one don't mind the "Paper/Fictional" Ships. This game is a non historical Game that happens to use close representations of Ships that had a Real History.

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles

I sort of rationalize some 'fictional' ships, though I'm not one that doesn't want to play them because they were never built. In fact, I'm more of a player that won't touch ships because they have no interest to me, which can either be from a gameplay perspective (British CLs. Put in some RN CAs and I'll be all over them, probably) or from a general lack of interest (the entirety of the Soviet trees, though the proposed buffs to Grozovoi have me contemplating trying to go up the RU DD line).

For example. Looking at both Roon and Hindenburg, my first thought on both was that they were just an up-scaled Nuernberg and Prinz Eugen, respectively, with 8in guns instead of 6in.(seriously, look at them in detail sometime and compare them to Prinz and Nuernberg. It's uncanny) For me, this makes them really freakin cool, considering that the latter two actually existed. I also have to applaud WG's design and research teams. I have no doubts in my mind that the Roon and Hindenburg are the direction Germany's navy would have gone had they the resources, capability, and interest from up top to keep building a fleet. So they get a pass in my book as they come off as very plausible evolutions.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[WPP]
Members
445 posts
5,058 battles
31 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

Oh come on.  Once a guy said, “if we want to mount a howitzer that large you’d need to strap it onto a Conqueror.”

That makes my tier X British SPG real.

[TF57]
Members
1,231 posts
3,916 battles

My barrier is unrealistic play - i.e ships ramming into islands, then backing out, then ducking back - like WoT tank destroyers.  A parked, bow on parked BB flinging HE while grounded on a beach is more immersion breaking, for me, than then the name on the ship.

I can rationalise different scales of speed/size, faster reloads or gun velocities, in order to make the game more fun.  It replicates something that actually happened, albeit sped up for gameplay purposes.

But seeing a huge warship hug cover like a tank, or have a cruiser ram an island at 30kts and bounce off with no damage, or being wallhacked through an island.... eck!

[DRI-S]
[DRI-S]
Members
570 posts
16,398 battles

Soviet : Diana she is a floating museum in St.Petersburg

Alabama, NC are real museum real. 

IGN Mikasa museum

and the list goes on & on.

True the paper ships are not attractive as the real one but what can you do. WG need to deliver the bacon.

We all like the BACON, don't we?

[ICBM]
Members
303 posts
7,829 battles
1 hour ago, pufek said:

Soviet : Diana she is a floating museum in St.Petersburg

Alabama, NC are real museum real. 

IGN Mikasa museum

and the list goes on & on.

True the paper ships are not attractive as the real one but what can you do. WG need to deliver the bacon.

We all like the BACON, don't we?

Bacon is good...

Sign in to follow this