You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ddoubletapp1

Breaking a Losing Streak.

21 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

It happened again yesterday.

I logged in  for a  session - and decided to warm up with a match in my most played ship - Fujin, in which I have a 62% WR, with 51K average damage in 350 matches.

The team evaporated around me, and despite killing three ships - my little stealth boat was eventually hunted down and killed for the final points needed to end the match.

I decided to run through my T10 DDs, instead - and proceeded to go one and nine for the next 10 matches - "full tilt" by anyone's standards. 

And not just losses, many were full-on curb stompings - with one match (in Shima) on North that featured two DDs per side. 

I went A cap, the friendly Gearing went B cap - the entirety of the support boats went C - literally every single cruiser and BB entered C, where they were picked off one by one, as they rounded the large island west of C.  Its the kind of mass team incompetence thats difficult to explain.

So - I tried something thats worked for me many times in the past.

I logged out of the client and game completely - reloaded, and selected a ship thats generally regarded as being only "average" - in this case, the Prinz Eugen.  The match was another curb stomping - but this time I was on the winning side.  I only had time for 7 more matches - but only lost one of them.

I have absolutely no data to back this up (and can already hear the cries of "conspiracy theory" and "confirmation bias") - but I really do think WG runs some basic (or perhaps very complex) algorithms when match making for solo players - likely taking into consideration recent WR, or total number of matches played, or effectiveness of the ship selected for the first match.

Despite the lack of data - logging out of the game, when on a full tilt losing streak - then reloading, has turned that loss streak into a win streak too many times to just be a coincidence.

Maybe give it a try, next time the full-tilt streak gets a little ridiculous.

[VW]
Members
1,860 posts
12,293 battles
10 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

Despite the lack of data - logging out of the game, when on a full tilt losing streak - then reloading, has turned that loss streak into a win streak too many times to just be a coincidence.

Think you just revealed the secret to ranking out!

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
76 posts
4,017 battles

I will certainly give that a try, just trying to recover from one of those losing streaks. I understand odds and probability but I wouldn’t be surprised there was something baked into the MM cake algorithm. 

• Cool 1

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

longest losing streak in rank was 12 consecutive losses in a row and 9 of them i was in top spot with 3 to 4 kills and load of dmg without losing any stars.   usually the streak went on like 9 to 10 losses many times, MM is horrendously rigged.

• Cool 1

Members
4,470 posts
6,219 battles

For last 18 games I have a 55% win rate but I did not play random this weekend. From past experience in tanks and now ships I more often than not blow any gains I made during the week if I play weekends and my win rate is slowly increasing the less I play on weekends. I play solo. SOLO. My choice, but I oddly find myself on weekends matched against 2-3 platoons/divisions or a batch of unicorns on the red side while I and my team have none. Oddly. Of course it's random these players are all on the same team. I have had some serious losing streaks on weekends that have left me scratching my head. That's all I will say less I get accused of tin foil hat crap. Just have found it perplexing over past few years.

I will say it's not nearly as bad in ships as I saw in tanks. I must admit I got rather suspicious playing tanks. Just could not help it. 

Taking a break and them coming back is GOOD OP....I agree.

• Cool 1

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

My solo WR dropped below 52% over the course of a weekend. These missions are quite a bother, even when I try my best team just suicides themselves or camps. If I were a millionaire I'd just buy these guys an Indianapolis so they don't have the do the missions.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,746 posts
7,373 battles

There's only 2 ways to end a losing streak, stop playing, or win. Oddly, my own experience is that stopping leads to winning later on.

Relax your emotions, clear your head, get the blood flowing right again, and good things happen.

Losing, no matter what it is we're losing at, affects us mentally, emotionally, and physically in very negative ways. The more negative we get, the worse we play whatever game it is we're playing.

[KP]
Members
2,020 posts
18,497 battles
45 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

I logged in  for a  session - and decided to warm up with a match in my most played ship - Fujin, in which I have a 62% WR, with 51K average damage in 350 matches.

The team evaporated around me, and despite killing three ships - my little stealth boat was eventually hunted down and killed for the final points needed to end the match.

I decided to run through my T10 DDs, instead - and proceeded to go one and nine for the next 10 matches - "full tilt" by anyone's standards. 

And not just losses, many were full-on curb stompings - with one match (in Shima) on North that featured two DDs per side. 

I went A cap, the friendly Gearing went B cap - the entirety of the support boats went C - literally every single cruiser and BB entered C, where they were picked off one by one, as they rounded the large island west of C.  Its the kind of mass team incompetence thats difficult to explain.

I logged out of the client and game completely - reloaded, and selected a ship thats generally regarded as being only "average" - in this case, the Prinz Eugen.  The match was another curb stomping - but this time I was on the winning side.  I only had time for 7 more matches - but only lost one of them.

I have absolutely no data to back this up (and can already hear the cries of "conspiracy theory" and "confirmation bias") - but I really do think WG runs some basic (or perhaps very complex) algorithms when match making for solo players - likely taking into consideration recent WR, or total number of matches played, or effectiveness of the ship selected for the first match.

I'm convinced if you keep dropping into matches one after the other you end up queing with the same lead paint chip eaters. Like you did shutting the game off for 30 minutes or so seems to break the cycle of potatoes. I didn't do this and for no conceivable reason I had a 35% win rate earlier this week when the ships I was playing all had a 60% or better win rate normally.

Members
1,790 posts
17,418 battles
2 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

get the blood flowing right again,

But what if it was never flowing right in the 1st place? ;-)

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,746 posts
7,373 battles
36 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

But what if it was never flowing right in the 1st place? ;-)

Then you have far bigger issues than this game. :P

[SALVO]
Members
16,745 posts
17,328 battles
3 hours ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

I suggest logging off for a while, then returning a few hours later when hopefully a different set of players are on line.  It can also help to division, if you weren't already.

I've had good days and bad days.  And sadly, if you look at the after action report's team page, it's usually pretty obvious why you lost when you see that the other team is stacked with players from hurricane or typhoon league clans who ranked out or have single digit ranks going up against your team that's full of unranked or much worse rank in the high teens.  Having this sort of talent mismatch is no guarantee of a loss, but I'd say that the chances are pretty heavily stacked against the weaker team.  And in these battles, all you can do is just try your hardest, do as much damage as you can, and salvage as many XP and credits as possible.  But sometimes, your team is so bad that they gets curb stomped so quickly that you have next to no chance to do anything before the curb stomping machine rolls you under the waves.  I remember a tier 10 battle last week where my team was so bad that the highest XP earner on the team only had about 600-700 base XP.  That was really pathetic for a tier 10 battle.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is just log out and come back tomorrow.

• Cool 1

Members
1,790 posts
17,418 battles
18 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Then you have far bigger issues than this game. :P

I THOUGHT so (wait till I tell my mom it's not "THAT GAME" but ME that's ruining my life...huh...she's gonna have to eat some crow). ;-)

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles

Dealing with a losing streak right now. It's ridiculous.

What's a fella gotta do to get a win?

OxGZNus.jpg

pJTVKhG.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
4,470 posts
6,219 battles
2 hours ago, Lensar said:

Dealing with a losing streak right now. It's ridiculous.

What's a fella gotta do to get a win?

OxGZNus.jpg

pJTVKhG.jpg

Play selectively and carefully. Try not to play when WG stacks teams.  As I have said....weekends are notorious and their tank game is the worse.  IMO!  OK....players like to play together but just be aware of how to game the system. Solo....you WILL get busted a lot. Accept it. Random, some of the time, is really not random at all.  Myth. Know when that is likely to occur .

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Random, some of the time, is really not random at all.  Myth. Know when that is likely to occur .

Yeah, running matchmaker monitor is very telling. Had a match yesterday where I was the only person on my team with a higher than 42% winrate. Our team average was like 39%. You can guess how that one ended....

• Cool 1

Members
4,470 posts
6,219 battles
12 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Yeah, running matchmaker monitor is very telling. Had a match yesterday where I was the only person on my team with a higher than 42% winrate. Our team average was like 39%. You can guess how that one ended....

Well....been here with WG quite some time. Sometimes things make little sense. But that is how it is. Odds I guess. Random odds. Happens. You can get around it to some extent. Don't play when you know the teams are gonna be a dice roll unless you are an OP player who has his buddies with him who can carry (which I cannot)...That's all.  Carry on. I may catch crap for this but I don't care. Not rigged at all!  Not saying that.  Just at times you gonna be facing very good teams and it can happen for several matches. 

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
18 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

There's only 2 ways to end a losing streak, stop playing, or win. Oddly, my own experience is that stopping leads to winning later on.

Relax your emotions, clear your head, get the blood flowing right again, and good things happen.

Losing, no matter what it is we're losing at, affects us mentally, emotionally, and physically in very negative ways. The more negative we get, the worse we play whatever game it is we're playing.

Very good advice - and never a bad plan - but I have an idea that the turn-around I've repeatedly experienced when logging out - then back in, has more to do with MM looking at my recent WR, than it does with taking a two minute break (which is about how long it takes me to close, then reopen the WOWS app) - though it certainly does no harm.

18 hours ago, IronMike11B4O said:

I'm convinced if you keep dropping into matches one after the other you end up queing with the same lead paint chip eaters. Like you did shutting the game off for 30 minutes or so seems to break the cycle of potatoes. I didn't do this and for no conceivable reason I had a 35% win rate earlier this week when the ships I was playing all had a 60% or better win rate normally.

Interesting.

Not that I regard it as confirmation - but its good to see I'm not the only one that this works for.

15 hours ago, Crucis said:

I suggest logging off for a while, then returning a few hours later when hopefully a different set of players are on line.  It can also help to division, if you weren't already.

I've had good days and bad days.  And sadly, if you look at the after action report's team page, it's usually pretty obvious why you lost when you see that the other team is stacked with players from hurricane or typhoon league clans who ranked out or have single digit ranks going up against your team that's full of unranked or much worse rank in the high teens.  Having this sort of talent mismatch is no guarantee of a loss, but I'd say that the chances are pretty heavily stacked against the weaker team.  And in these battles, all you can do is just try your hardest, do as much damage as you can, and salvage as many XP and credits as possible.  But sometimes, your team is so bad that they gets curb stomped so quickly that you have next to no chance to do anything before the curb stomping machine rolls you under the waves.  I remember a tier 10 battle last week where my team was so bad that the highest XP earner on the team only had about 600-700 base XP.  That was really pathetic for a tier 10 battle.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is just log out and come back tomorrow.

Interestingly - I do find this streaky type of play to be more prevalent at high population times - evenings to some extent, but definitely weekends and anytime new content is released.  Thats when I've found logging out - then logging back in has the best chance of turning a losing streak into a winning streak.

During times of low player population, my unscientific and non-data-backed-up impression is that MM runs a different algorithm from the one it runs when player pop is high.

10 hours ago, dmckay said:

Well....been here with WG quite some time. Sometimes things make little sense. But that is how it is. Odds I guess. Random odds. Happens. You can get around it to some extent. Don't play when you know the teams are gonna be a dice roll unless you are an OP player who has his buddies with him who can carry (which I cannot)...That's all.  Carry on. I may catch crap for this but I don't care. Not rigged at all!  Not saying that.  Just at times you gonna be facing very good teams and it can happen for several matches. 

I think the "random" in "random mode" refers more to map and battle mode, than anything else.

We already know that MM is running algorithms to match ship types and tier spreads - I don't believe most of us would be surprised to learn that it runs other matching processes, as well.

WG invests a great deal of time, money and effort into this game.  Why would they leave arguably the most delicate aspects of player match-up to random chance?

If it were me running this outfit and investing - literally - millions of dollars into attempting to supply the best product I could - this is not an aspect I would leave to chance.  But - I also wouldn't talk about it.

Grab your tin foil, my friend - you're all up in this conspiracy now - ha ha!

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,286 posts
5,681 battles
20 hours ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

I burn a paper warship and hope the World Of Warships gods find my offering appeasing and bless me with better matchmaking hehehehe.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,286 posts
5,681 battles
19 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

My solo WR dropped below 52% over the course of a weekend. These missions are quite a bother, even when I try my best team just suicides themselves or camps. If I were a millionaire I'd just buy these guys an Indianapolis so they don't have the do the missions.

lol wouldn't work, I have the Indy and am doing the missions for the doubloon value of the ship lol.

Members
4,470 posts
6,219 battles
35 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

Very good advice - and never a bad plan - but I have an idea that the turn-around I've repeatedly experienced when logging out - then back in, has more to do with MM looking at my recent WR, than it does with taking a two minute break (which is about how long it takes me to close, then reopen the WOWS app) - though it certainly does no harm.

Interesting.

Not that I regard it as confirmation - but its good to see I'm not the only one that this works for.

Interestingly - I do find this streaky type of play to be more prevalent at high population times - evenings to some extent, but definitely weekends and anytime new content is released.  Thats when I've found logging out - then logging back in has the best chance of turning a losing streak into a winning streak.

During times of low player population, my unscientific and non-data-backed-up impression is that MM runs a different algorithm from the one it runs when player pop is high.

I think the "random" in "random mode" refers more to map and battle mode, than anything else.

We already know that MM is running algorithms to match ship types and tier spreads - I don't believe most of us would be surprised to learn that it runs other matching processes, as well.

WG invests a great deal of time, money and effort into this game.  Why would they leave arguably the most delicate aspects of player match-up to random chance?

If it were me running this outfit and investing - literally - millions of dollars into attempting to supply the best product I could - this is not an aspect I would leave to chance.  But - I also wouldn't talk about it.

Grab your tin foil, my friend - you're all up in this conspiracy now - ha ha!

Ha!  I did make a point of saying it's NOT rigged, just that random is kinda nor so random at times...or words to that effect. No tin hat!  Pls, no. Carry on mate.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,796 posts
11,146 battles

Find people to div with, it does work, the little bit of communication you can have that saves your butt during a game can be the difference between winning and losing

this was tonight, in a div.

I have had plenty of nights when I couldn't get a win to save myself, regardless of how I played.

wins.png