Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belyy_Klyk

Suggestions on Iowa

17 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles

I’ve played 17 games in the Iowa and I know that’s not much but I am struggling to get this ship. I loved the NC and Alabama and maybe that is why I am not getting along with it yet but I would appreciate some tips. 

Captain: 16 points: PT, AR, SI, CE, AFT

Upgrades: usual + reload

Mods: B Hull + Gun Range module (cant remember name)

The accuracy is pretty trollish to me. Maybe it’s my luck or maybe I’m just not used to the armor but I fired at a broadside Iowa and did 12k but he fired back while I was at what I thought was a decent angle on my part and double citadeled me. Fires aren’t a big issue to me, I’m usually alright at angling (I think that was just RNG), and I’m usually decent at getting good shots on good targets. Torpedoes and CV’s are an issue because the rudder shift is terrible and the AA hasn’t really kicked in (no BFT and not C Hull). My gameplay is trying to find which cap my team is going and follow the bulk of them. I try to play mid range and push more than I should because I don’t like long range sniping in BB’s. I have been deleted once by a good Asashio player forcing me to repair a flood before using TRB but that’s rare and I’m not concerned with it. Most games I use all my heals and just die from sustained pens over time toward the middle of the battle. I think I’m too aggressive for this ship but I am trying to find a balance between being aggressive and being too passive. Any suggestions from anyone who also plays this way? My problem is mainly I don’t do enough damage and I seem to die midway through the battles. I can try to post replays later if I get a chance. Thanks in advance.

I just checked my stats in the Iowa and they don’t reflect how I feel about the ship. Maybe I am tanking that much damage but I feel like I’ve just ended up on good teams so far. Still I feel like I need to improve a lot in the Iowa compared to how I played the NC.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

[SPTR]
Members
25,618 posts
10,807 battles

Try and fight enemies at between 12-16km and angle your ship no greater than 20° 

Your side profile is a nice and long target so don't show it unless the BBs are reloading their guns.

This is my build when I grinded through the Iowa: http://bit.ly/2IqKOGk

[GN_BR]
Members
124 posts
4,596 battles

Get c Hull, it improves rudder shift. Shells, while not as flighty as NC’s, does exhibit some nasty rng dispersion.

Members
352 posts
1,803 battles

Don't use the reload module, the -11% dispersion module is the better choice on the Iowa, Missouri, and Montana. Remember, the Iowa has only 1.9 sigma and higher muzzle velocity, which means a more scattered spread and slightly larger dispersion ellipse. I'm not sure what your other modules are, but I would recommend the following: Main Armaments Mod 1, Damage Control Mod 1, AA Guns Mod 1 (range), Steering Gears Mod 2, Concealment Mod 1, Artillery Plotting Room Mod 2 (-11% dispersion). The Iowa has quite good concealment, and the accuracy mod allows you to be more surgical in your salvos, which synergizes better with concealment.

Furthermore, you want to obtain the C hull as soon as possible, as the improvement in rudder shift is considerable and enable you to turn out and disengage much more comfortably and also be able to dodge torpedoes better. Even with the C hull, I still find the Iowa very sluggish in terms of handling and maneuverability.

The Iowa does have a learning curve and can be challenging to master; my North Carolina stats are also slightly better than my Iowa stats, at least in terms of damage.

Edited by icyplanetnhc
  • Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Members
161 posts
9,970 battles

While I am no unicum player, there a couple of things i recently changed about the way I play the Iowa and they seem to be helping me perform better ( I do run a 19pt captain though).

1. Swap the reload mod for the accuracy mod - Iowa accuracy is trollish as you said, to me having better accuracy is better than reload with this ship.
  2. Use your speed. This ship is fast for a bb, pushing is fine but know when to bail and go silent.
  3. Angling is very important in this ship because you will eat cits if you just overexpose slightly. I though I was good at angling and was  still getting the crap shot out of me. IChase has a great video on angling that made it clearer that I wasn't angling as well as I though I was, you should check it out.

Iowa.png

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

I basically Free-Xped to Iowa. She hates me a lot. Richeleiu (Free-Xped to her from Normandie) on the other hand... she loves me.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles

Thanks guys. I’ll try out the accuracy mod instead. I’ve watched some videos on it but seems most are sort of older. Maybe C Hull will help out a good bit and I’ll try being a little more passive gameplay. Another question, do you think the Iowa is worse tier for tier than NC and Montana? I see a decent bit of Montana’s and NC is a great ship so I’m curious if Iowa is just not as good. Kind of a bridge between the two.

Members
612 posts
7,259 battles

Don't get the reload mod (The Adrenaline Rush (AR) skill will do quite well instead though it'll act like the reload mod when you're in a critical point of HP left), instead go for the Artillery Plotting Room Modification 2 (APRM2 for short) which will give you a little more accuracy, always angle every time and learn how to avoid incoming shells by turning away while slowing down your ship, you can either use your speed since Iowa is a pretty fast for a Battleship.

And this is my build for the Iowa

Spoiler

unknown.png

Preferable you get Hull C instead... As others have said (though I like having Hull B for no reason)

With a 19 point captain as well, I made Iowa a somewhat AA ship

[SUCIT]
Members
772 posts
3,493 battles
18 minutes ago, icyplanetnhc said:

Don't use the reload module, the -11% dispersion module is the better choice on the Iowa, Missouri, and Montana.

That is 100% subjective.  I use the reload mod on both my Missouri and Montana, and I'm a unicum player in both.  

It is down to personal preference, if you plan on taking engagements at 20-24km, take the dispersion module.  If you plan to push and play aggressive like I do, take the reload mod.  

• Cool 1

Members
352 posts
1,803 battles
7 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Thanks guys. I’ll try out the accuracy mod instead. I’ve watched some videos on it but seems most are sort of older. Maybe C Hull will help out a good bit and I’ll try being a little more passive gameplay. Another question, do you think the Iowa is worse tier for tier than NC and Montana? I see a decent bit of Montana’s and NC is a great ship so I’m curious if Iowa is just not as good. Kind of a bridge between the two.

In a sense, yes but not because the Iowa is bad; in fact, it's currently quite good and well balanced for its tier. On the other hand, the Montana and NC are excellent and are staples in competitive play, with standout features (mainly the accuracy relative to their competitors and AA capability).

3 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

That is 100% subjective.  I use the reload mod on both my Missouri and Montana, and I'm a unicum player in both.  

It is down to personal preference, if you plan on taking engagements at 20-24km, take the dispersion module.  If you plan to push and play aggressive like I do, take the reload mod.  

To each his/her own. I believe the majority of competitive players use the dispersion mod, and I've had the most success with it, but if you can make the reload mod work, great.

Edited by icyplanetnhc

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,766 posts
5,805 battles

I tried to hard to love the Iowa, but in the end it just didnt happen. I pushed and I died, I didnt push and didnt get much damage. I found the only safe place to be was hugging an island while facing 2 caps OR pushing along a map edge. The Iowa's are great DD killers but it comes with a risk.

It took me 300+ games to get my Missouri straightened out to a 50%ish WR after starting out as a 1win:3loss player for the first 100 games.

1 thing to consider is some form of AA boost on T8+ US BB's. You are a great asset to your team when you can provide AA cover and create a no fly zone for 5km, you'll even make T10 CV's think twice about coming near you. Its not uncommon for my Mo to shred 30 planes while facing a T10 CV.

[SUCIT]
Members
772 posts
3,493 battles
6 minutes ago, icyplanetnhc said:

In a sense, yes but not because the Iowa is bad; in fact, it's currently quite good and well balanced for its tier. On the other hand, the Montana and NC are excellent and are staples in competitive play, with standout features (mainly the accuracy relative to their competitors and AA capability).

To each his/her own. I believe the majority of competitive players use the dispersion mod, and I've had the most success with it, but if you can make the reload mod work, great.

Its a fairly even split between dispersion and reload mod in Typhoon/Hurricane.  The -5 second reload allows you to catch cruisers off guard more often than you think, and the Montana already has some of the best vertical dispersion in the game, which is what truly matters when you're aiming for citadels.  

Members
352 posts
1,803 battles
24 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Its a fairly even split between dispersion and reload mod in Typhoon/Hurricane.  The -5 second reload allows you to catch cruisers off guard more often than you think, and the Montana already has some of the best vertical dispersion in the game, which is what truly matters when you're aiming for citadels.  

Interesting. That said, the vast majority of my time in the Iowa was prior to the citadel volume change, which meant that I used the ship more conservatively, thus making the dispersion mod more valuable. Now with the citadel lowered to the same height as the North Carolina, I'm more inclined to be a bit more aggressive like I would in a North Carolina, though still held back by the sluggish turning.

[SUCIT]
Members
772 posts
3,493 battles
2 minutes ago, icyplanetnhc said:

Interesting. That said, the vast majority of my time in the Iowa was prior to the citadel volume change, which meant that I used the ship more conservatively, thus making the dispersion mod more valuable. Now with the citadel lowered to the same height as the North Carolina, I'm more inclined to be a bit more aggressive like I would in a North Carolina, though still held back by the sluggish turning.

My Montana is by far my most played T10 ship, and easily my favorite.  Yes, the rudder shift is fairly awful, but it's like that for most BBs.  

It's just fast enough to get into the action, just nimble enough to maneuver around, and has arguably the best rear turret angles in the game.  I constantly am swinging out my XY turrets to get them on target, while still having the agility to get back into showing an angle before return fire lands.  Being the second stealthiest BB also doesn't hurt at all.  I play my Iowa/Missouri the same way, to great effect.  

Even those 20km shots you think will suffer due to the -11% dispersion, really don't. You might miss an extra shell that lands too far forward/behind a ship, but the vertical dispersion being as good as it is doesn't mean you'll land less citadels.  The volume of fire increase is just too valuable imo.  

And having a 23 second reload on 12 406mm guns is just dumb fun, once adrenaline rush really kicks in.  

[CAST]
Members
1,156 posts
7,159 battles

The Iowa is a fast BB, so use that as your strength.  If you like to push a bit closer to engage, then go with a faster reload.  If you like to hang back a bit, then use the dispersion mod.  Use the speed of the ship to constantly adjust your position on the battlefield.  Be dynamic, but not at the expense of showing broadside.  Wait to go gun silent to reduce detection for that because it does have a nice juicy citadel if exposed broadside.  As a midrange BB, the Iowa can deal out some serious damage.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,722 posts
7,354 battles

I've used the same captain on my USN BBs since Johnny DOH! came out many moons ago. I use PT, EL, AR, EM, BFT, AFT, CE as of now. I use the dispersion module, because no matter the range, I prefer a better chance of getting hits over a couple extra salvos a match. Make the shots count, rather than hope volume of fire makes up for accuracy. I've already gone past Iowa, however I use the same captain and modules on Monty and MO that I did with Iowa.

Sign in to follow this