You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmb47

Get Rid of KARMA

57 comments in this topic

[AR15]
[AR15]
Beta Testers
98 posts
9,511 battles

OK , my rant....

Just played a game.  I sank three ships, did not say a word to anyone in chat; our team loses.  I get out of game, and see..

"YOU WERE REPORTED.  YOUR KARMA DECREASED BY 4"

A.  Was it someone on my team who thought I should have done more?

B.  Was it one of the guys I sank?

c.  Was it just a random a......e who picked someone to dump all of his negative votes on?

We sank 5 ships total, all of ours were lost.  Karma as it currently stands is a meaningless joke.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 2

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I thought a player could only effectively change your karma by 1 per game, regardless of how many times they report/compliment you. So you drew the ire of quite a few people. Did you perhaps sink a 3 ship division, getting them salty? Keep in mind the reds can report you too, so sometimes a great game can be bad for karma.

Edited by cometguy
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
146 posts
6,052 battles

Yes, karma is meaningless, so why worry over it...

• Cool 8

[VW]
Members
1,848 posts
12,293 battles
4 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I thought a player could only effectively change your karma by 1 per game, regardless of how many times they report/compliment you. So you drew the ire of quite a few people. Did you perhaps sink a 3 ship division, getting them salty? Keep in mind the reds can report you too, so sometimes a great game can be bad for karma.

Divs can only report once.maybe there was friendly torping or something else behind the scenes.

[VW]
Members
1,848 posts
12,293 battles
9 minutes ago, dmb47 said:

OK , my rant....

Just played a game.  I sank three ships, did not say a word to anyone in chat; our team loses.  I get out of game, and see..

c.  Was it just a random a......e who picked someone to dump all of his negative votes on?

We sank 5 ships total, all of ours were lost.  Karma as it currently stands is a meaningless joke.

Were you in a bb “defending the base” until you were the only one left? BBs at full health in back of map will draw reports regardless of their contribution.

• Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
25,694 posts
10,850 battles

Prefer something that's in place that avoids the abusing of the karma system, but agree this is something that shouldn't just happen just because someone on the opposing team is peed off after 6 straight defeats.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,357 battles

Hmm...

Nah, I like karma, it's funny to watch. 

Salt is a glorious thing.

• Bad 1

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
420 posts
6,201 battles

I really dont care much about karma.. For me they are just numbers that will eventually get paid with FTW camo

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
33 minutes ago, dmb47 said:

This is the best compliment you can get.  What they meant to say is "Sir, you thoroughly outplayed me to the point that I feel compelled to give you negative karma.  Well done sir, my [edited] is going to hurt for a week from that beating."

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,493 posts
10,211 battles

That sucks OP sorry to hear it. Just curious how you got a notice your karma decreased? I never see those. I get them for it going up though. I seldom get negative ones and only notice it long after the fact. Would kind of like to be notified so I know if it was because I stunk the joint up or there is an a-hole slamming people for no good reason. You kind of need that after game notice unless you check every game which I don't.

[PVE]
Members
5,361 posts
17,840 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

That sucks OP sorry to hear it. Just curious how you got a notice your karma decreased? I never see those. I get them for it going up though. I seldom get negative ones and only notice it long after the fact. Would kind of like to be notified so I know if it was because I stunk the joint up or there is an a-hole slamming people for no good reason. You kind of need that after game notice unless you check every game which I don't.

Yeah have seen people say they get a "You were reported" warning message. I have lost karma and never seen that. I always see the "You were complimented" notice though... Maybe it is a setting. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,342 posts
9,433 battles

Yup..  That's why I hang in Co-Op most of the time.  Don't need that drama.

But if I go to Random, whenever a Standard battle starts, and someone asks for a plan...

I type, "Defend the cap and let the other team do something stupid". 

Guess what?  It works about every time.

Members
54 posts
2,689 battles

I would love to see this system in WOT. What a firestorm we would see!

• Funny 1

Members
13 posts
11,688 battles

I think karma's perfectly fine for letting you know when other people think about you, and it doesn't really have any real effect on you, other than maybe hurting your feelings because people don't think well of you. I don't think I've ever been reported more than a few times in all the time it's been around, and that's as a player who's at best a bit above average and makes a lot of stupid choices along with frequently being very rude to people who I feel are being retarded in chat. I've never gotten the multiple reports people are claiming happen all the time. It takes a lot for most people to actually want to right click your name and report you. Multiple votes from the same person don't mean anything is what I recall being the case. As I'm sitting here it took me a few minutes to even recall where to check my karma. I'm currently sitting on 150, apparently.

Saying you got three kills doesn't really mean a lot, the person who gets the last hit is the one who gets the kill count in the end. For four people to want to actually report you, I'd say you most likely did something that was clearly to the detriment of your team, like the classic 'flanking dd' humping map edges and leaving the team blind at critical points, or the 'camping bb' sitting 20km+ back and leaving the team basically down a BB from the start.

Beta Testers
113 posts
2,027 battles

We need to karma to down vote the full hp BB's at the end of losses, the Gneis that snipes from 20km the whole game, the DD's that map edge for the first 10 minutes of the game. Anyone that says "gg easy".

We need karma to up vote the spotting/smoking DD's, the BB's that use their HP and support pushes, the clutch cruisers that are critical in most games.

Honestly if you're Karma is 0 or like 3 you're probably a model citizen.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

No

• Bad 4

Members
3,774 posts
1 hour ago, dmb47 said:

OK , my rant....

Sad Crying GIF - Sad Crying Spongebob GIFs

[LUCK]
Members
1,278 posts
19,102 battles
23 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Yup..  That's why I hang in Co-Op most of the time.  Don't need that drama.

It's not just limited to random. Co-op players are generally a kindler, gentler bunch but there are still raging :etc_swear:, just not as many.

Members
17,842 posts
5,096 battles
1 hour ago, dmb47 said:

Karma as it currently stands is a meaningless joke.

So why get so worked up about it that you feel its removal is warranted?

• Cool 1

Members
805 posts
2,358 battles

lmbo; my Karma dropped by ten points the past two days while playing DD's. Guess some people didn't like that I was supporting my clanmates more than some random who decided to diddle diddle up the middle. Interestingly enough, I think three of those negatives came from salty CV players who were not expecting an AA specked Gearing with DFAA.

Edited by PcolaTy_1

[LOU1]
Members
2,898 posts
8,004 battles

I was thinking that it might be related to the Indy mission, but the current one is top 3 in a win.  I know I lose Karma during kill missions because I inadvertently destroy a ship that another player felt was their kill.  Nothing like destroying three or four ships in pitched battles and then seeing your Karma decrease.  The problem is, it is difficult to decide what ship you should not shoot to meet someone else's quota during the heat of battle.  Now, during mop up time I have held fire briefly to allow someone to get a kill if I know they were working hard on the ship or might need it for a mission; maybe for one salvo.

[LUCK]
Members
1,278 posts
19,102 battles
1 hour ago, dmb47 said:

OK , my rant....

I view karma the way I see flags (except the Military Month 5% bonus), patches and badges; if it doesn't do or anything or serve a function get rid of it. It's all just superfluous clutter.

Edited by Wye_So_Serious

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,259 posts
24,847 battles
53 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah have seen people say they get a "You were reported" warning message. I have lost karma and never seen that. I always see the "You were complimented" notice though... Maybe it is a setting. 

Same here.

I have never seen a 'You were reported' message.

But I do see the 'You were complemented' message'.

And I'm running plain vanilla.

[DANKY]
Members
445 posts
1,565 battles

Great individual results don't always mean you did nearly enough to help your team win.  For example, one of my weaknesses is the map Shards.  I never know whether to try for one of the side caps and get slaughtered, or try to push the middle and get radar-painted and focus fired by enemies I can't see.  The margins are too narrow to maneuver, so I end up patrolling back and forth farming damage from red ships doing the same thing, until we lose enough ships for the red team to safely push in and pick off the rest.  Net result: 100k+ damage for me and maybe a kill or two, and my team loses because I can't figure out how to position myself to keep teammates alive and secure caps. 

Edited by Eugenie_101
clarity