You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

What were your ships of choice for completing this weekends Indianapolis missions?

79 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,662 battles

I started off with a bright idea of free xp'ing to the Independence and shooting down my 30 aircraft that way, how hard could that be? That was a debacle!!!! So I switched to the Budyonny, figuring it has good guns and defensive AA so I could chip away at aircraft while trying to get a win and 150 hits. In my first battle I have aircraft all around me, I hit defensive AA and shoot down ONE aircraft......leaving me to scratch my head in confusion. I managed to get my 150th his with two seconds left in the game, I finished with 152 hits and we won so one down one to go. I go back to port and look and only then realized I had a 6 point captain in my Budyonny....ROFLMAO. So I dropped my 19 point Moskva captain into my Molotov and was fortunate enough to get back to back two CV games. I told the enemy CV players I would compliment them if they could score a hit on me or sink me and I got my 29 planes in the next two matches to complete the challenge and the Indianapolis missions for the weekend. What were your ships of choice to complete these missions?

• Cool 3

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,890 battles
3 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I started off with a bright idea of free xp'ing to the Independence and shooting down my 30 aircraft that way, how hard could that be? That was a debacle!!!! So I switched to the Budyonny, figuring it has good guns and defensive AA so I could chip away at aircraft while trying to get a win and 150 hits. In my first battle I have aircraft all around me, I hit defensive AA and shoot down ONE aircraft......leaving me to scratch my head in confusion. I managed to get my 150th his with two seconds left in the game, I finished with 152 hits and we won so one down one to go. I go back to port and look and only then realized I had a 6 point captain in my Budyonny....ROFLMAO. So I dropped my 19 point Moskva captain into my Molotov and was fortunate enough to get back to back two CV games. I told the enemy CV players I would compliment them if they could score a hit on me or sink me and I got my 29 planes in the next two matches to complete the challenge and the Indianapolis missions for the weekend. What were your ships of choice to complete these missions?

Haha, nice bait there with the promise of compliments for hits :p

I did the shell hits one with a Fiji, second battle - first ended quickly, only got about 120 hits in.  I got the planes with a mixture of Gneisenau and Scharnhorst - figured those ships are important enough to kill, have strong enough AA to shoot down planes (particularly at range), but without massive over-the-top AA so that carriers deliberately avoid getting close (like an Atlanta). Was successful - took about three battles to get the 30 planes required.  

Today's mission, win an be top 3 by XP on the team, I did in my first battle.  Solid T8-T9 battle, was in my Fiji, got 2.3k base XP.  Easily first :p

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Hiryu to get the planes mission, completed in 1 game.

Fiji-Belfast-Atlanta to complete the 150 mbh in a win mission, completed in 3 games. Probably would have been 1 if I started with the Atlanta.

All in all, finished them both within an hour, so not bad.,

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

Midway - 1st battle 71 Planes. Easy life.

I don't remember the other one, I think I just completed off hand.

What I struggle on is the "Survive and do X" missions, I just don't tend to survive in games.

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
230 posts
3,223 battles

In order to get the 30 planes quick and easy i decided to ungrade to the Ryujo (T6 IJN CV) yaaa theres a learning curve for you! But i did get my 30 planes after a few embarrassing attemps. 

Gave up on the 150 hits,  tried with a few cruisers but never even got close.

[O_O]
Members
782 posts
4,726 battles

1st - Indianapolis with DefAA, first game of the day.  For whatever reason the red Ranger couldn't find anybody else to pick on.  Cost him 33 planes and the match.

2nd - Luigi di Savoia Duca Degli Abruzzi.  Survived long enough to get 152 shots in on the enemy team.  No small feat, and a very tiring series of matches trying to soak up the XP boost missions for that ship before they go away at midnight tonight.

-R

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,932 battles

I tried almost everything with rapid fire, but it was the Atlanta (generously gifted to me in the early hours of Saturday morning) which did the trick. The 150 hit mission was a nail biter, and I got really lucky at several points where I might easily have got blapped. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,158 posts
8,766 battles

Friday was an all around debacle for me. On Saturday I said the heck with the missions and I divisioned with a couple of clan mates one of whom was working on leveling several different ships so I just grabbed ships that matched the tier he wanted. Two matches later I got my 150 hits in my Chapayev while playing to win and only noticed my hit count when the match was almost over. In the third needing 6 more planes I got a CV with my Iowa and once again played to win and although it was a loss I got 12 by the end.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
938 posts
8,748 battles

I did both in my DM. A Lex was hell bent on sending his planes within my AA envelope the entire match and got 25 of his planes ( I had like 6-7 kills from earlier matches). A few games later 150+ hits and completed the second mission.

[ONE]
Members
253 posts
8,075 battles

Belfast and Cleveland in three games.

Members
286 posts
3,350 battles

Independence for plane kills

as for shell hits, you need a Cleveland, a conveniently placed island, and a fleeing New Mexico

• Funny 1

[O_O]
Members
782 posts
4,726 battles
1 minute ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

a Cleveland, a conveniently placed island, and a fleeing New Mexico

Oh the humanity...

-R

• Funny 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
242 posts
4,091 battles

Cleveland for 150 hits. <-- this was a challenge. (coincidentally shot down 14 planes).

Independence for the remaining planes.  <-- done in one. 

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles

I did all the missions in my Hindy exclusively even without bothering about the missions. I had done all those mission requirements previously so I knew it would happen in my regular game play. 

[B_Y_F]
Members
82 posts
5,542 battles

Got the 150 hits one with an AKI.... about 300+hits..........

I did the planes one with KIDD. Anti-air DD games are really enjoyable.

[BUOY]
Members
138 posts
7,658 battles

150 Hits and win: Minotaur, got it in 1. :cap_tea:

30 Planes: Two painful games, one in a 3-1-1 Ryujo against a unicum Independence and literally 5 Clevelands and one in the Independence against an absolute potato Independence, but also literally 4 Atlantas. 

Alpha Tester
2,725 posts
4,327 battles

19pt Lexington...but I've taken off to Planes now and no longer give any f to Indianapolis...

My light cruiser group of Chappy, Cleveland, and Fiji for 150 hits if I even bother...

• Boring 1

[CAST]
Members
1,158 posts
7,169 battles

I was thinking I was going to have to pick off planes one at a time for a long haul.  I ended up doing the plane mission in a couple of games in my Alsace.  For some reason, in a couple of different games, the enemy CV tried several attempts to torp drop me, resulting in me shooting down over 15 planes in each.  

The 150 hits was done in my Neptune.  That thing is just a machine gun.  The hardest part of playing the Neptune, is it being a support ship, not a carrying ship, so you need to rely on your team much more for the win.  If they do a half decent job, then you can rack up the big damage and be a major contributor.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,323 posts
11,434 battles

Atlanta and Cleveland,  I figured I'd get both done at same time.

Then no carriers for 3 matches.

Brought my KAGA out, first time in 3 months,  and well....

Needed 14 planes. 1st match, 2 dev strikes and then I was CV sniper. We won.

2nd match, 7 AA ships, couldn't get near a plane as enemy kept his in friendly AA bubble. Loss.

3rd match, 2 AA ships and a noobier CV player than me. 20 plane kills 4 ship kills. Win.

[PVE]
Members
8,846 posts
7,257 battles
49 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Sneaky Karma bait for planes. :Smile_honoring:

I used Atlanta, Cleveland and Des Moines. I would swap out when sunk or when I got tired of a ship. All night Friday and all of Saturday morning to finally get more than 160 hits. I couldn't seem to get over 130 for nothing. I got the planes in ones and twos, except for two 5's and one 7 plane game.

26 minutes ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

as for shell hits, you need a Cleveland, a conveniently placed island, and a fleeing New Mexico

:Smile_teethhappy:

25 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Oh the humanity...

-R

:Smile_teethhappy:

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,662 battles
56 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Haha, nice bait there with the promise of compliments for hits :p

I did the shell hits one with a Fiji, second battle - first ended quickly, only got about 120 hits in.  I got the planes with a mixture of Gneisenau and Scharnhorst - figured those ships are important enough to kill, have strong enough AA to shoot down planes (particularly at range), but without massive over-the-top AA so that carriers deliberately avoid getting close (like an Atlanta). Was successful - took about three battles to get the 30 planes required.  

Today's mission, win an be top 3 by XP on the team, I did in my first battle.  Solid T8-T9 battle, was in my Fiji, got 2.3k base XP.  Easily first :p

ROFLMAO...I did compliment both CV's in the game because I had no idea who actually hit me and I shot down some planes from both CV's so I held up my part of the bargain.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,662 battles
49 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I tried almost everything with rapid fire, but it was the Atlanta (generously gifted to me in the early hours of Saturday morning) which did the trick. The 150 hit mission was a nail biter, and I got really lucky at several points where I might easily have got blapped. 

LOL I know the feeling brother.....every time I take to the sea in a Russian cruiser I warn the crew not to sneeze and fart at the same time below decks because it is an automatic magazine detonation.

• Funny 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,662 battles
46 minutes ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

Independence for plane kills

ROFLMAO...that is funny. I never understand people in US Standard battleships trying to run.......you will NEVER be able to get out of range. You are better off sucking it up and charging.