You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UltimateNewbie

Dunkerque Despair

50 comments in this topic

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,893 battles

I really do despair.

My first 22 battles in the Dunkerque, I had on average over 1 CV per battle.  There were a total of 2 battles where there were 0 CVs, but 4 where there were 2 per side.  

I couldnt believe that in 100% of my battles in this ship, I would expect to get a carrier.  Those odds are very high.  I would get CVs even if there were none in the queue. 

Finally, I gave up.  

I re-specced my Dunkerque to a full AA build - AA module, BFT and AFT (only an 11 point captain atm), sacrificing CE and SI for the extra heal. :cap_rambo:

Last two battles, 0 carriers.  That has never, ever, happened before playing this ship - two whole battles without a carrier - in a row!!! 

Thus, my warning to all WoWS Forum players - do not, ever, re-spec your ship for AA in response to overwhelming CV play.  Clearly - and this is with my tin foil hat firmly on - WG's MM discriminates against players with high AA and ensures that they never get CV matches. :Smile_coin:

Wishing you all the best of luck,
UN

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,947 battles

Surprisingly, Dunkerque benefits very well from Manual AA fire control, as a lot of her AA guns are large enough caliber to benefit from the captain skill.

I never went that route with her, only AFT.  Her speed and maneuverability were typically good enough for me to dodge or mitigate most strikes.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

High CV population rate was probably due to people desperately trying to complete the shoot down 30 planes mission. We should be back to the regularly scheduled programming now.

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,893 battles
3 minutes ago, cometguy said:

High CV population rate was probably due to people desperately trying to complete the shoot down 30 planes mission. We should be back to the regularly scheduled programming now.

I thought that too, but I got the Dunkerque over a month ago, and its been consistent that whole time...

News Alert: dont worry, back to CVs each game.  Yes, a GZ did rock my world... sigh...

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
Just now, cometguy said:

Even this non-CV player took Enterprise out for a spin to get the 30 planes. Fortunately, I did not embarrass myself and we won. Dunkerque I won in a SC. Although I mostly do T8-10, I have six battles in her, 5 wins one loss.

Members
286 posts
3,350 battles
55 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I really do despair.

Here is an idea, don't play Dunkerque.

I hate that ship so much. So hard to hit anything and everyone likes to focus you.

Worst money I have spent towards the game.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,167 posts
8,781 battles
42 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I made that desperate mistake but only once and just let the kills come on their own and finished the last six up with a 12 plane match in my Iowa.

37 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I thought that too, but I got the Dunkerque over a month ago, and its been consistent that whole time...

News Alert: dont worry, back to CVs each game.  Yes, a GZ did rock my world... sigh...

The Dunkin Donut is a tier 6 where there are still quite a few CV's but I never had much trouble with them.

The GZ is almost as broken in the other direction as it was when it was released. Just be happy there are not many of them out there and that it is not being sold.

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,409 posts
4,300 battles

Dunkerque has been powercrept rather hard since it came out imho.

My memory can be bad at times but iirc when Dunkerque came out the most common T6 BBs were the 14" armed Fuso and 14" armed New Mexico, with the 15" armed Warspite being rare at the time. I don't remember the German BBs being out then, and I think T4 didn't have protected MM yet. Dunkerque could on regular occasions find a corridor and bow tank, and I got many a dreadnought medal, and a lot of potential damage taken by being a roadblock that fired back with all it's guns.

T6s are mid tier and bottom tier a lot more now. 15" BBs are more common now and Mutsu has 16" guns. Light cruisers are also more common now, not to mention UK BBs, so there's much more HE being flung around. Who knows what's in store for Dunk when the CVs are revamped?

I've got a lot of games with Dunkerque, done well with her, and for me it's a premium that has served well and been very much worth the purchase price. But in the current game environment I personally wouldn't recommend buying Dunkerque.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,798 posts
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I really do despair.

My first 22 battles in the Dunkerque, I had on average over 1 CV per battle.  There were a total of 2 battles where there were 0 CVs, but 4 where there were 2 per side.  

I couldnt believe that in 100% of my battles in this ship, I would expect to get a carrier.  Those odds are very high.  I would get CVs even if there were none in the queue. 

Finally, I gave up.  

I re-specced my Dunkerque to a full AA build - AA module, BFT and AFT (only an 11 point captain atm), sacrificing CE and SI for the extra heal. :cap_rambo:

Last two battles, 0 carriers.  That has never, ever, happened before playing this ship - two whole battles without a carrier - in a row!!! 

Thus, my warning to all WoWS Forum players - do not, ever, re-spec your ship for AA in response to overwhelming CV play.  Clearly - and this is with my tin foil hat firmly on - WG's MM discriminates against players with high AA and ensures that they never get CV matches. :Smile_coin:

UN

Don't ever spec your ship for AA period.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,798 posts
41 minutes ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

Here is an idea, don't play Dunkerque.

I hate that ship so much. So hard to hit anything and everyone likes to focus you.

Worst money I have spent towards the game.

Yeah I focus on Dunkerques. . . because I like to flank and focus on all bow-campers regardless of ship.  They are bad for the game and should be destroyed.  So I like to do it.

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
4,003 battles
9 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Dunkerque has been powercrept rather hard since it came out imho.

My memory can be bad at times but iirc when Dunkerque came out the most common T6 BBs were the 14" armed Fuso and 14" armed New Mexico, with the 15" armed Warspite being rare at the time. I don't remember the German BBs being out then, and I think T4 didn't have protected MM yet. Dunkerque could on regular occasions find a corridor and bow tank, and I got many a dreadnought medal, and a lot of potential damage taken by being a roadblock that fired back with all it's guns.

T6s are mid tier and bottom tier a lot more now. 15" BBs are more common now and Mutsu has 16" guns. Light cruisers are also more common now, not to mention UK BBs, so there's much more HE being flung around. Who knows what's in store for Dunk when the CVs are revamped?

I've got a lot of games with Dunkerque, done well with her, and for me it's a premium that has served well and been very much worth the purchase price. But in the current game environment I personally wouldn't recommend buying Dunkerque.

this.

it's my most played ship,the ship is just too beautiful,but beauty don't win fights,and she has been  powercreeped heavily.

maybe if they renamed her strasbourg and increased the armor.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,527 posts
3,515 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I really do despair.

Finally, I gave up.  

UN

You experienced the "Texas Effect", you can have a night with nothing but CVs, BUT as soon as you bring something out with overwhelming AA or respec for AA the MM decides no more CV for your until you switch to a ship with weak AA or respec

It's pretty common and is perfectly normal

• Funny 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,487 battles
3 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

this.

it's my most played ship,the ship is just too beautiful,but beauty don't win fights,and she has been  powercreeped heavily.

maybe if they renamed her strasbourg and increased the armor.

^This is my opinion as well. It is a very specialized ship that is rather hard to play if the conditions aren't right. I think up-armoring her to Strasbourg standards would help a bit. 

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,487 battles
3 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

I disagree. I would say don't spec a bad AA ship for AA. Dunkerque is pretty bad. Speccing her for AA just makes her ... less bad. She still can't really  defend herself well vs. planes. It's just throwing points down a hole. 

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles

Only premium I have ever sold twice. Bought once then got in a Christmas crate. Tried liking both times it’s garbage.

[BSL]
Members
723 posts
14,353 battles
4 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

BFT and AFT really help with secondaries as well as AA.

[BSL]
Members
723 posts
14,353 battles
Just now, GreyFox78659 said:

Only premium I have ever sold twice. Bought once then got in a Christmas crate. Tried liking both times it’s garbage.

Its a preference thing.  I really like mine.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles
2 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Its a preference thing.  I really like mine.

You’re talking to the guy that liked GZ before the fixed it.

[AP-B]
Members
174 posts
1,508 battles

I shot down around 700 planes over the weekend. I love to see CVs in my full AA ships

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
424 posts
18,319 battles

I do okay in mine. I probably don't run it as much since the entire French line came out. I run mine with a full AA build at all times. 

DUNK.jpg

Edited by Filthy_Pelican

Members
47 posts
5,650 battles
11 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

P.S.  Don't sell premiums...Santa just gives them back and laughs at you.:cap_happy:

I purchased the HSF Graf Spee because the regular Graf Spee was no longer available in the Premium shop; at least at that time.  Then I got the regular Graf Spee in a X-mas crate.  So now I have two Graf Spee's, though I took the 10-point caption off the regular Graf Spee for use elsewhere.  I kept the ship in case I decide to buy more X-mas crates next year, because with my luck I would get it again.     

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I bought the Dumbkirk totally by accident. I have played it a few times "Not Impressed" It does look good in my Port though.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,527 posts
3,515 battles
4 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

That has to be the worst piece of advice I've ever read here, T5, 6 and 7 still see CVs allot

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,741 posts
7,373 battles
6 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I really do despair.

Finally, I gave up.  

UN

I feel your pain, brother from an Aussie mother.

• Cool 1