You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Eisennagel

The highest grossing franchise ever ain't Disney's.

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
9,040 posts

An estimated $59 billion over its lifetime.  It has made more money than the MCU + Micky combined and still leaves a lot of change.   It has made more money than Star Wars, and even Hello Kitty.  Its main character might be more recognizable than Micky Mouse.  

The franchise Disney can't catch is:

DLtzO1J.png

https://movieweb.com/pokemon-franchise-highest-grossing-all-time/

The article doesn't explain how the franchise has become not just being so successful over the years, but continues to do so and becoming ever stronger.  A thorough analysis of its history is going to go down as important reading for franchise management.  In a relatively short time, it shot to the top, stayed on top, and avoided all the pitfalls that has besieged and troubled so many franchises.

Here is the list according to Wikipedia, which collectively represents important milestones of pop culture from movies, TV, anime, cartoons and video games.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Note:  A Song of Ice and Fire is better known as Game of Thrones.

Second Note:  There ain't a lot of Pokemon mobile games.  That $2 billion figure is likely dominated only by one game --- Pokemon Go.

Edited by Eisennagel
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,391 posts
4,284 battles

Last I heard, Nintendo has more money than Sony.

It's actually rather amazing how many strong and long lasting franchises Nintendo can call upon.

Members
1,642 posts
2,149 battles

Star Wars might surpass them if they get their act together and not make any more "Solos." With the exception of Solo, their new movies are dishing out 1-2 billion each and that's just the box office revenue not counting any merchandising (merchandising actually brings in more money then the movies do).

Related image

Edited by Edselman
  • Boring 1

1,542 posts
26 battles

Well, I myself have given them at least a few hundred ding over the years on games, cards and my cuddlies so can only imagine the span of their popularity and power haha

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,221 posts
8,396 battles

Wow, Star Wars isn't even close. If you consider that Pokemon is only half as old as SW, it's even more impressive!

Beta Testers
9,040 posts
10 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lucasfilm would like a word with you... lol

Star Wars = $43 billion from 1977.

Pokemon = $59 billion from 1996.

Edited by Eisennagel

Beta Testers
9,040 posts
14 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Last I heard, Nintendo has more money than Sony.

It's actually rather amazing how many strong and long lasting franchises Nintendo can call upon.

Indeed.  I will talk about another Nintendo franchise soon enough.

I do think that Sony may have found a mother lode of a potentially big franchise with the Last of Us, and which in my opinion, might have a bigger draw than Microsoft's Halo and Gears of War.