You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Indianapolis Campaign

24 comments in this topic

Members
205 posts
4,213 battles

So far I've completed 12/21. Have I missed many missions or am I going to be fine and I'll get the Indianapolis?

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles

14/21 for me and done all till now. I guess there are a total of 26 missions.

Edited by sansfaille

[STW-D]
Members
1,845 posts
5,651 battles

The requirement is 21 out of the 26 available missions for Indianapolis. This gives a margin of error of 5 missions.

You have currently missed 2, so you can afford to miss 3 more missions and still complete enough to get Indy.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,686 posts
3,459 battles

I think you're doing fine. If I remember there are more missions than you need, and it doesn't end for another 3 weeks.

I've been try harding it by using almost only the Indianapolis for them. Some just aren't possible this way, but I've been succesful on most of them.

Only one I really felt she just couldn't do was 150 hits in a single battle. Took out my Atlanta for that and got it within 3 games. First game I missed it by around 6 hits, 2nd was a disaster, and the 3rd I nearly had 200.

Indianapolis is good to get use to the USN CA playstyle in, but she's frankly not a good ship, and worse with the USN Cruiser redo.

She's basically the Pensacola without the same potential damage per minute, but she is even worse in her protection simply because she's a larger ship.

Because of the way she's designed in game, when it was IJN and USN only, she has a very high citadel. Things that won't citadel other Cruisers aren't forgiving to you. Shots that graze the rudder, propellers, the paint the spells her name on her aft, and the anchor all count as citadel space. Even that pistol the Petty Officer left on the ladder closest to the funnel? Yep, citadel. Angle? Yeah, won't help you against anything bigger than 203mm.

She finally has the rudder shift she shouod have had at release, and they did buff something else. What was it? Let's just say that's how noticable it was. Like buffing the guns from 15 second reload last year to a whopping 14.3 second reload. People still don't realize that happened because it was such a joke even your dad wouldn't tell it to you.

Now the New Orleans is at Tier 7 and does exactly everything better.

But the Indy does have Radar, which is long range at 9.9km, and short enough duration to be practically pointless at 25 seconds. You get 2 entire salvos before it goes off, assuming you have your guns pointed in the right direction before hand, and your HP isn't so low that when you inevitably spotted to use your practically pointless Radar that you'll survive the BB salvos headed your way as every single enemy BB on the map hopes that it gets the free XP reward for farting in the Indianapolis' general direction first.

If the stars align and you get both salvos off you really just have to pray the DD is near death and that you don't miss either salvo. If all of this doesn't happen you've just lit yourself up like a Christmas tree, and waltzed into the wolfs den as a deer slathered in BBQ sauce on crutches because you have 2 broken legs.

Now sure your team can help you out when you use Radar. Feel free to write in chat when you're about to use it and tell me when the next time someone else not in your division actually throws a shell or two in the DDs direction before you die horribly for using that new and exciting gimmick Radar on the Indianapolis like putting paint on a turd would suddenly make it valuable.

Now, if you take a torpedo you're probably dead, or at least practically dead if you actually aren't. If you take 2 and survive, you should think about playing the lottery  before a stray pistol shot from a DD captain finishes you off.

Now of course you COULD just throw down Hydro instead of taking DF. But that's really a choice between how bad you want to feel when a CV is or isn't in the game.

CV in the game and no DF? You're basically a free kill, but you'll get some comfort from shooting down a single aircraft before you die horribly.

No CV and plenty if DDs? Even if you do your due dillegence you'll likely eat a torpedo while trying to pathetically do the job of better Cruisers hunting down DDs. But you will get to feel the gut wrenching agony of watching your reload timer tick down for another disappointing salvo. There's always the chance you'll detonate them though right?

If you get her for free you'll soon discover why she collects dust in the dock of everyone who paid money for ship. You'll remember that people didn't like the old Pensacola and New Orleans for a good reason. You'll suddenly recall just how laughably bad the initial testing nerfs to these ships where, and recall you haven't seen a Pensacola in 2 weeks in dozens of Tier 6 matches because returning that ship to BB concealment status with Yamato like turret traverse was the most bonkers idea in the whole rework, and even people who tried to convince themselves it was good went back to ships that gave the same mildly disappointing results but that were actually enjoyable and didn't give you PTSD from being shot at from the load in.

But if there's one redeaming quality she has, it's that if you like the Northamptons or Portlands historically, you can take her out. You'll sit there trying to convince yourself that she's a good ship and you'd actually play her if she wasn't historically relevant to you.

After a few dozen games you'll begin to aggrivatedly ponder why the hell a ship whose owy redeaming quality is her "utility" can't have a slot for Hydro AND DF separately. In fact you'd give anything for that to actually happen as you sweat balls behind a rock with your 4K HP, cursing not taking hydro. Then you'll swear if the thing could take Repair Party over Hydro you'd ditch the joke of a Radar and never look back again.

Good luck with your Indy. I've played her for hundreds of games, and if she wasn't the closest thing to the USS Louisville I would have stopped along time ago.

She'll get some minor buff, I'm sure, at the end of this event when the forums start asking why she's so bad after having to go through all the effort. Then WarGaming will insist she's performing fine, but relent months later, throw on some sort of incredibly tiny buff that addresses nothing noticable or of complaint, and then the cycle will repeat itself in another few months.

Welcome to the club of the Indianapolis, if your arent cynical now, just give it time. 

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
6,308 posts
11,856 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

So far I've completed 12/21. Have I missed many missions or am I going to be fine and I'll get the Indianapolis?

There is the fact that your time is worth money, If you have the money why waste the time? Then again it is not an OP ship. Right?

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Boring 2

[VW]
Members
1,817 posts
12,265 battles
16 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

There is the fact that your time is worth money, If you have the money why waste the time? Then again it is not an OP ship. Right?

perhaps he prefers receiving real things for his money (such as bread, wine, and/or cheese), rather than renting virtual things.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
58 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Time spent screwing off and playing a video game is not worth money.  It is casual time.  I play the game for fun.  If I can play for fun and complete a few simple goals to win a free ship, that ship to me is indeed free.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
1 hour ago, Madwolf05 said:

Welcome to the club of the Indianapolis, if your arent cynical now, just give it time. 

No, Indianapolis is not a great ship.  However, I do like some of the not-so-good premium ships because they offer a challenge to play.  Doing well in a challenging ship is quite rewarding.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,894 battles
12 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Time spent screwing off and playing a video game is not worth money.  It is casual time.  I play the game for fun.  If I can play for fun and complete a few simple goals to win a free ship, that ship to me is indeed free.

Yes...

9 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

No, Indianapolis is not a great ship.  However, I do like some of the not-so-good premium ships because they offer a challenge to play.  Doing well in a challenging ship is quite rewarding.

...and yes.

I'm going for her because way back when they put Duke of York up to win, I thought it'd be a cool thing to win a Tier VII premium battleship (never mind that I was barely sailing the Bellerophon at the time). I failed horribly, since the only thing I had was British cruisers and I couldn't use them well enough to get through some tasks that I might have accomplished with a battleship. So I thought hard about what I needed to do to improve my odds of winning something like that again. I missed the Aigle marathon because I had other obligations smack-bang in the middle of it that I knew would prevent me from winning. Getting the Indianapolis would show that my planning had been correct.

2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Read this in the context of your own game-play and skills. You should still be good, but you'll have to sweat a little harder than I will.

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
207 posts
2,337 battles

I used to hate mine and then i learned to shoot better and now its a ok vessel

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,325 posts
9,387 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

The Indy is a Tier 7 with RADAR.  It can also reliably bounce cruiser AP off it's angled nose.

Whereas the Atlanta needs to hide behind an island, the Indy can park itself next to one, using it to hide it's broadside on one side. 

From there, it can send out rather hammering AP salvoes, or annoy the snot out of folks with HE.

So you have smoke??  How cute.  I have Radar and an F3 button.  Hold still...  Thank You, bye.

[PVE]
Members
5,301 posts
17,730 battles
7 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

The Indy is a Tier 7 with RADAR.  It can also reliably bounce cruiser AP off it's angled nose.

Whereas the Atlanta needs to hide behind an island, the Indy can park itself next to one, using it to hide it's broadside on one side. 

From there, it can send out rather hammering AP salvoes, or annoy the snot out of folks with HE.

So you have smoke??  How cute.  I have Radar and an F3 button.  Hold still...  Thank You, bye.

I have the Indianapolis and don't do terrible in it. I hate it, but I can make it work only because I have to play it once every three days in order to get my crate. Otherwise it sits in port rusting away because it sucks. The rate of fire is not significant enough to allow it to be able to punish those little DDs in smoke. I find it pretty crappy in being able to deal with a destroyer once you flushed it out. As far as bouncing AP, yeah hardly. I don't take lots of damage from British AP when correctly angled but anything else just blasts thru the ship, most especially AP fired from tier 9 battleships. The only thing the nose of the ship is good for is offering a smaller target. It is a pathetic ship, almost universally hated by its owners an not feared by the enemy. Like so many USN cruisers, it is a one trick pony, hide behind a rock and have someone spot for you and your other teammates protecting your flank. In other words, let everyone else do the heavy lifting while you fire over a rock... It is an uninteresting ship. BTW got my first nice citadel today with her. I had to laugh, it was a red Indianapolis... I got taken out in a circle of death fight with a DD I was flushing out of smoke. Good times. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,325 posts
9,387 battles
52 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have the Indianapolis and don't do terrible in it. I hate it, but I can make it work only because I have to play it once every three days in order to get my crate. Otherwise it sits in port rusting away because it sucks. The rate of fire is not significant enough to allow it to be able to punish those little DDs in smoke. I find it pretty crappy in being able to deal with a destroyer once you flushed it out. As far as bouncing AP, yeah hardly. I don't take lots of damage from British AP when correctly angled but anything else just blasts thru the ship, most especially AP fired from tier 9 battleships. The only thing the nose of the ship is good for is offering a smaller target. It is a pathetic ship, almost universally hated by its owners an not feared by the enemy. Like so many USN cruisers, it is a one trick pony, hide behind a rock and have someone spot for you and your other teammates protecting your flank. In other words, let everyone else do the heavy lifting while you fire over a rock... It is an uninteresting ship. BTW got my first nice citadel today with her. I had to laugh, it was a red Indianapolis... I got taken out in a circle of death fight with a DD I was flushing out of smoke. Good times. 

Yeah..  We have to switch over to Random to get those.  Bright side is that just showing up will get us a crate.

And yes...  I'm the same way about most of my premiums and T10s.  Once I'm there, there's no growth, so I get to work on the grinders. 

I'm currently grinding the Benson, Monarch, Chappy, or Shiratsuyu into their top hulls in co-op.  Alt account is grinding the Nassau with the new Jutland cap.

Basically, I'm taking this summer off from the pursuit of world domination.  Maybe later on, I'll pick it up.

But every so often, there's this odd mission, or 200% Cmdr XP thing for winning a battle, so I burn through all my Premium ships, adding the daily boost.  Move a couple captains along.

The Indy plays like the T8 New Orleans (Not having the same luck in the Balt).  They stripped the radar off the NO for T7 now.

Given a choice between Indy and Now Orleans, I'll take the Radar Indy.

[PVE]
Members
8,798 posts
7,234 battles
5 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I saw you in PvP. Sorry I couldn't help us to a win for today's mission of top 3 in a win. You would have made it. :Smile_sad:

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

if this is turning into an "is Indy goodbote or not" thread, i'm casting my vote for somewhere between.

it's not great. but it's not terrible either. it tempts you to get close to use the radar, but you can't fall for it or you'll get smashed. when used right, it can do very well though.

[TBW]
Members
6,308 posts
11,856 battles
6 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

perhaps he prefers receiving real things for his money (such as bread, wine, and/or cheese), rather than renting virtual things.

5 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

How negative, at least some people agree with me.

• Boring 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,184 battles
7 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Same for me. Not to worried if I do not finish (All ready have it) but I would like to finish if I can.

[PVE]
Members
5,301 posts
17,730 battles
2 minutes ago, paradat said:

Same for me. Not to worried if I do not finish (All ready have it) but I would like to finish if I can.

I have her as well, I am only playing for the crates. I want the oil and hoping that I may get one of the premium ship missions for one I don't have. Not worried about the endgame since I will just get 7 million credits. I have close to a half billion, a few million more is meaningless. 

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
207 posts
2,337 battles
2 hours ago, MidnightShamalan said:

if this is turning into an "is Indy goodbote or not" thread, i'm casting my vote for somewhere between.

it's not great. but it's not terrible either. it tempts you to get close to use the radar, but you can't fall for it or you'll get smashed. when used right, it can do very well though.

As LWM puts it ~ its a Mehbote and Meh is average, its not bad and its not good

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,184 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have her as well, I am only playing for the crates. I want the oil and hoping that I may get one of the premium ship missions for one I don't have. Not worried about the endgame since I will just get 7 million credits. I have close to a half billion, a few million more is meaningless. 

Yeah agreed, Would love to get the Monaghan it is the only mission ship I do not have.

[POP]
Members
173 posts
5,362 battles

Current mission has me pissed beyond belief.

Three games in a row I'm top on my team.

Team keeps letting me down.  Don't know what more I can do?

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,686 posts
3,459 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Yet the Atlanta outstrips the Indy by a hilarious margin. And why is that? Because she has the tools to do what she does well. Even her Radar is very useful because her rate of fire and number of guns will murder a DD, even from full HP. The only bad thing about the Atlanta is her stupid non-AFT range and her Alpha era torpedoes.

Meanwhile the Indy cannot use her Radar to kill a healthy DD, and a miss in 95% of cases is devestating to your chances of doing any significant damage since the DD will be able to use DCP to counter it.

And exactly which Tier 7 Heavy Cruiser cannot bounce 203mm shells? I'm pretty sure they all can, which makes using it as a "highlight" of the ship even more telling about just how pathetic it is.

She is a bad ship, with bad Radar. You cannot take the Tier 7 Pensacola, remove a gun, make it easier to hit, slap Radar on it claim it's a good ship.

It's good to challenge yourself, but using any other Tier 7 Cruiser line is like allowing a blind man to see after his first 20 years of life.

• Cool 1

[BSL]
Members
719 posts
14,307 battles

Bought it, hated it, sold it, Santa gave it back...:cap_happy:

Doing the mission because it's there.:cap_like: