Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ASR37

What are these things mounted on Japanese cruisers?

11 comments in this topic

Members
65 posts
3,041 battles

2018-06-24.thumb.png.1d0a04eb9aae51b6c634452f0d5f91f6.png

I randomly saw these weird looking torpedo-looking things under the front turrets on my Ibuki and started trying to figure out what they were. They are on some other cruisers as well. I did a little google research but I wasn't able to come up with anything.

Can anyone put my curiosity to rest and explain what these things are?

Edited by ASR37
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,712 posts
7,354 battles

They're on most ships of pre-WW2, and some of WW2, vintage. IIRC, they're meant to deal with mines and slow moving torpedoes.

Members
65 posts
3,041 battles
Just now, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

They're on most ships of pre-WW2, and some of WW2, vintage. IIRC, they're meant to deal with mines and slow moving torpedoes.

Do you know what they are called? I'd like to do a little more research into what they are/do.

Members
65 posts
3,041 battles

I don't even see a crane or anything to deploy them. Just curiously confused here lol

[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
445 posts
11,548 battles

Initially developed to destroy naval mines, the paravane would be strung out and streamed alongside the towing ship, normally from the bow. The wings of the paravane would tend to force the body away from the towing ship, placing a lateral tension on the towing wire. If the tow cable snagged the cable anchoring a mine then the anchoring cable would be cut, allowing the mine to float to the surface where it could be destroyed by gunfire. If the anchor cable would not part, the mine and the paravane would be brought together and the mine would explode harmlessly against the paravane. The cable could then be retrieved and a replacement paravane fitted.

330px-Paravane_%28AWM_000527%29.jpg

A paravane being lowered into the sea from an Australian warship in 1940.

Lieutenant Burney developed explosive paravanes as an anti-submarine weapon, a "high speed sweep". It was a paravane, containing 80 pounds (36 kg) of TNT towed by an armoured electric cable. The warhead was fired automatically as soon as the submarine touched the paravane or towing cable or by hand from the ship's bridge. It could be quickly deployed into the water and towed up to 25 knots (46 km/h), and recovery if unsuccessful was reasonably simple

• Cool 3

Members
65 posts
3,041 battles

Interesting! Thanks guys for putting my mind to rest!

[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,562 battles

This question has been asked so many times WG should just put in a tool tip pop up when people scroll over them. 

Don't get me wrong asking questions is one of the reasons the forums are here. 

But WG put paravanes on almost every ship in the game you would think we would get to use them lol.

[VW]
Members
1,819 posts
12,265 battles
6 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

This question has been asked so many times WG should just put in a tool tip pop up when people scroll over them. 

Don't get me wrong asking questions is one of the reasons the forums are here. 

But WG put paravanes on almost every ship in the game you would think we would get to use them lol.

Submarines are coming!!!!

Sign in to follow this