You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AltWeiss

Musashi's secondaries v Yamato secondaries?

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
510 posts
4,657 battles

I am about 15k exp from unlocking the Musashi (already have Yamato). I know Musashi lacks AA but I am wondering how her secondaries compare to Yamato.

Musashi:

6x2 127/40 type 89 mod 2

4x3 155

Yamato:

6x2 127/40 type 89  

6x2 127/40 type 89 mod 3

2x3 155

So Musashi has fewer of the 127s and the ones it has are a different model. It does have two extra triple 155 turrets though.

Anyone have any comments on this? How would you rate Musashi's secondary firepower?

[ARP]
[ARP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
702 posts
6,693 battles

Personally I prefer Yamato's secondary battery just for the dual purpose guns. Any extra AA is good to me :Smile-_tongue:

[STW-D]
Members
1,848 posts
5,651 battles

To quote LVM in her review of Musashi:

"Musashi's secondary firepower is terrible.  She does not duplicate Yamato's secondary battery by any stretch.  This is one of the most pronounced differences between the two sister ships.  Unlike her anti-aircraft deficit, this is one area which matters.  The differences are as follows:

• Half of Yamato's 127mm secondaries reload in 6.0 seconds. The other half reloads in 5.0 seconds. All of Musashi's 127mm secondaries reload in 7.5 seconds.
  • Yamato has twenty-four 127mm secondaries.  Musashi has twelve.
  • Yamato has six 155mm secondaries. Musashi has twelve.

Musashi doubles her 155mm complement but halves her 127mm armament.  This is a significant drop in firepower even before you account for her increased reload time.  The drop in her rate of fire feels unnecessary and punitive.  While I wouldn't go so far as to say that Musashi's secondaries do not pose a threat, they are certainly not threatening.  You cannot count on them to punish a destroyer or cruiser that gets themselves spotted within their range unless they are on perilously low health.  Even then, I wouldn't count on it.

Heavy secondary specializations on this ship struggle to earn their keep."

Beta Testers
510 posts
4,657 battles
6 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

"Musashi's secondary firepower is terrible.  She does not duplicate Yamato's secondary battery by any stretch.  This is one of the most pronounced differences between the two sister ships.  Unlike her anti-aircraft deficit, this is one area which matters.  The differences are as follows:

• Half of Yamato's 127mm secondaries reload in 6.0 seconds. The other half reloads in 5.0 seconds. All of Musashi's 127mm secondaries reload in 7.5 seconds.

Musashi doubles her 155mm complement but halves her 127mm armament.  This is a significant drop in firepower even before you account for her increased reload time.  The drop in her rate of fire feels unnecessary and punitive.  While I wouldn't go so far as to say that Musashi's secondaries do not pose a threat, they are certainly not threatening.  You cannot count on them to punish a destroyer or cruiser that gets themselves spotted within their range unless they are on perilously low health.  Even then, I wouldn't count on it.

Well, that is disappointing. I was hoping they would at least be decent.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles

Musashi is kind of shoe-horned into the Main Battery / Survival Build.  AA & Secondary Builds just don't have good returns.  It would be nice if her secondaries shot a bit faster, because as it stands right now, Yamato's is much better.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,544 posts
3,734 battles

The 155mm on both Yamato and Musashi fires only AP which for many people is not desirable as they won't start any fires.

You get an off chance of doing pen damage or even citadels, but those require rather lucky hits which can't be count on reliably.

Members
29 posts

Even the Yamato which has better secondaries suffer from heavily dimishing returns on any kind of secondary or AA skill/module investment. It's just not worth it. Go survivability/main gun build instead. You will have much better results, even if it means having to be much more wary of CVs and lolibotes on your flank.

Alpha Tester
3,325 posts
3,762 battles
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:47 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

The 127mm is better on paper, but in practice fighting secondary build Yamatos, I find that the 127mm's singularly terrible arcs make it mostly a non-factor. It really, really can't hit anything unless it's in absolute point-blank range. As in this gun will legitimately struggle to hit battleships if they engage in the slightest bit of maneuvering.