Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Starbuck

Premium Test Server

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

140
[2347]
Members
178 posts
4,727 battles

A common topic of conversation among the members of my clan is the relative worth of premium ships on a personal level. There are plenty of reviews and videos and we see the ships being played, without actually getting our hands on one, how do we actually know if it's right for us? It can be an expensive and risky proposition for a lot of players to plunk down $40, $50, or even more than that on a ship that we only know second hand. At the same time, we could be missing out on a lot of fun if we pass on a premium simply because it's gotten poor reviews. There is a lot to think about and like almost anything else on the internet, if you ask three different people what they think, you'll get four different opinions.

My point here - and my suggestion - is that 2 or 3 times a year Wargaming could sponsor a different sort of PTS, a Premium Test Server, where players with public test accounts could log on and actually take premium ships out for a test drive. Look under the hood, kick the tires, form your own, personal opinion and try before you buy. This might be a bad idea if WG isn't confident in their product, but let's assume otherwise. I have no idea how this might affect sales, but I have to believe that it would generate a lot of interest if nothing else. Combine the experience with a decent sale, perhaps when they sell those fleet packages, and who knows what might happen. I'm sure someone there must have thought of this already, so I'm probably missing something obvious, but...

...There are more than a few ships I haven't pulled the trigger on just because I really don't want to waste money on a ship I might not enjoy. Shoot, there's a few ships I'd like to try that I will never get my hands on. Anyway, I'm not saying WG should make every premium available for a spin around the block, but they could probably rotate through the catalogue as availability and current gaming events dictate. Of course, it might mean players will say, "Well, I'll wait until I can try it..." and create some unwanted turbulence in their monthly sales figures. Perhaps making only a few ships available, but on a more frequent schedule would help offset that potential problem, I'm not sure. Anyway, there it is, for better or worse. Thanks.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,581
[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

free ship rentals, problem solved

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
128
[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,050 battles

I agree with Renegade, but rather than a "Rental" make it something akin to "Try it for 2 weeks, if you hate it return it for a Dubloon-based refund."

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,762
Members
9,863 posts

Lets see, does WG sell more ships by not letting people try them first?

Or are they really going to sell more ships by allowing players to try them first?

My bet is the first, which is why this seems unlikely.

WG sells far too many ships based on the performance by the few quality players in this game, players see a good player rule in a premium, they go buy it thinking it will make them a better player....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,581
[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles
23 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Lets see, does WG sell more ships by not letting people try them first?

Or are they really going to sell more ships by allowing players to try them first?

My bet is the first, which is why this seems unlikely.

WG sells far too many ships based on the performance by the few quality players in this game, players see a good player rule in a premium, they go buy it thinking it will make them a better player....

depends, i tried a few free rentals tanks in world of tanks and i never would of brought a few of them if i never got to test drive them. So after a few games in my rental Mutz, I just had to buy her. it just click to my playstyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,821 posts
3,977 battles

give rental to increase the numbers of tomatoes playing premium ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
370
[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
31 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Lets see, does WG sell more ships by not letting people try them first?

Or are they really going to sell more ships by allowing players to try them first?

My bet is the first, which is why this seems unlikely.

WG sells far too many ships based on the performance by the few quality players in this game, players see a good player rule in a premium, they go buy it thinking it will make them a better player....

There is also the ridiculous CC hype train about certain ships being [edited]amazing and OP and then they come out mediocre as well. The most recent one that comes to mind is Asashio, massive crapstorm caused by CCs talking about the BB apocalypse, tons of people bought them (myself included as a DD main) and they were everywhere. How many do you see now?

WG will never let people test ships in advance because most of the time they're a disappointment especially at their price points (there are gems, but they're few). Additionally, what makes a great ship is often different for different people depending on what they enjoy and playstyle and other factors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,036
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,159 posts
8,772 battles
53 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

free ship rentals, problem solved

Not free but how about low cost, one or two dollars for a 48 hour test drive? The rental fee could be applied to the cost of buying if bought within 48 hours after the test drive ends.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
579 posts
4,549 battles

Rentals wouldn't be bad, even as a credit down-payment, and only 1 rental try, with 1 rental per premium active.

Id limit it though to all classes bar CV. You have to be a CV player to want to CV, and its not for you at higher tiers if you cannot CV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,036
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,159 posts
8,772 battles
6 minutes ago, _greifer said:

Rentals wouldn't be bad, even as a credit down-payment, and only 1 rental try, with 1 rental per premium active.

Id limit it though to all classes bar CV. You have to be a CV player to want to CV, and its not for you at higher tiers if you cannot CV.

I was thinking of that or limit them to co-op for the rental period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,581
[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles
18 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Not free but how about low cost, one or two dollars for a 48 hour test drive? The rental fee could be applied to the cost of buying if bought within 48 hours after the test drive ends.

i would say 1$ for 15 matches. So we can play it when we want to and it not time limited

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,036
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,159 posts
8,772 battles
Just now, MajorRenegade said:

i would say 1$ for 15 matches. So we can play it when we want to and it not time limited

I would still have a calendar limit say seven days to avoid people renting a ship that is perfect for certain missions and only playing it for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,581
[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I would still have a calendar limit say seven days to avoid people renting a ship that is perfect for certain missions and only playing it for them.

to short. i think it should expired after 2 weeks or so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,036
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,159 posts
8,772 battles
1 minute ago, MajorRenegade said:

to short. i think it should expired after 2 weeks or so

I can go with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
76
[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,072 battles

I would love a rental system, and maybe not on new release ships but, say Atago, Tirpitz, Warspite,Musta, and the other older premiums that have lost their luster in sales a bit.  Also it would be great to get to try returning ships like the Prince to see if it meshes with a player that has passed on it in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,391
[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

As a Corgi Fleet Captain I got to test drive the Iwaki Alpha and Gremyaschy...both of which I thoroughly enjoyed and will be buying at the next opportunity! 

 

 

 

Oh, wait...dammit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
127
[WDS]
Members
346 posts
6,881 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Not free but how about low cost, one or two dollars for a 48 hour test drive? The rental fee could be applied to the cost of buying if bought within 48 hours after the test drive ends.

I like that .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,036
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,159 posts
8,772 battles
34 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

As a Corgi Fleet Captain I got to test drive the Iwaki Alpha and Gremyaschy...both of which I thoroughly enjoyed and will be buying at the next opportunity! 

 

 

 

Oh, wait...dammit.

The Gremlin is more likely to end up in your port than the iwaki Alpha. Any Iwaki for non alpha's would likely be heavily nerfed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,762
Members
9,863 posts
2 hours ago, MajorRenegade said:

depends, i tried a few free rentals tanks in world of tanks and i never would of brought a few of them if i never got to test drive them. So after a few games in my rental Mutz, I just had to buy her. it just click to my playstyle.

But you really aren't their primary target, are you?

Competent players do their research, know their strengths and weaknesses, actually read reviews and make decisions based on that. This game plan is about getting the great unwashed masses to buy in, so rentals would directly defeat that plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
170
[CAST]
Members
1,158 posts
7,169 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Not free but how about low cost, one or two dollars for a 48 hour test drive? The rental fee could be applied to the cost of buying if bought within 48 hours after the test drive ends.

How about purchase at full price?  Then if you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund (minus a rental fee/day ).  That way you can play the ship as long as you want, but eventually you will just own it because you won't get any credit for returning it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,036
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,159 posts
8,772 battles
32 minutes ago, Murcc said:

How about purchase at full price?  Then if you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund (minus a rental fee/day ).  That way you can play the ship as long as you want, but eventually you will just own it because you won't get any credit for returning it.  

That would work too but I still prefer a short test period to decide if you really want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,258
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,828 battles
3 hours ago, w4spl3g said:

WG will never let people test ships in advance because most of the time they're a disappointment especially at their price points (there are gems, but they're few).

Then there are the (few) premiums which get better because the rest of the ships they see get worse, example Fujin. When released it was "MEH" because Isokaze and then Minikaze were so good. Then the nerf hammer hit and suddenly Fujin and the Kami sisters are "TOTALLY OP!!" (I can hear the BB whining now.) I think the bottom line on this is: "Will it cost WG money from sales."; and my OPINION is that it will, so they won't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

I support the idea. I supported it the last couple times its been suggested.

They may see a slight downtick in sales, but customer appreciation i believe would be higher. I can say for certain it would lead to me buying more though. There are quite a few i have my eye on, but i really would like to try them first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×