You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BlueCutlass

AA mod or Artillery Room for NM

28 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
278 battles

Trying to decide how to outfit my New Mexico as far as the modules go...

Was planning on the +20% AA range mod, but it's short main battery range seems limiting on some of the larger maps... (especially since you're too slow to re position quickly)

so now I'm torn between that or the Artillery Plotting Room.

No, I don't try to snipe at max range all game, but it sucks being uptiered and being both slower and outranged by everyone else in the game

at the same time, I hate, hate, HATE Aircraft Carriers lol. and the AA range adds a pretty decent boost to NM's rating...

...And there are still quite a few CV's them in mid-tier games (I hear CV's are practically non-existent in higher tiers)

What do you all run in the 3rd upgrade slot?

P.S. the rest of the build will not be AA focused, just a regular Concealment / Fire Prevention / Damage Control - type build

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles

NMs AA will never be impressive enough to warrant that mod IMO.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,128 posts
8,741 battles
16 minutes ago, Lert said:

This, so the plotting room will give better benefits.

[TBW]
Members
6,305 posts
11,856 battles

Agreed and I don't find CVs much of a problem. There aren't that many out there unless there are shoot down plane missions.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles

16.1km is trash so go with plotting room to get a boost to 18.7km. Fully upgraded AA build is pretty good BUT that good awful range makes the ship hard to use with it's given 21knot speed.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Not actually sure which would provide the best outcome here, though I lean away from AA with NM. Have you watched any videos on her to see which is the more popular choice? Seen which one best fits your playing style? 

Members
4 posts
278 battles

Seems pretty universal to go with Artillery Room mod...

...too bad, I would love a little boost to the AA but not willing to give up other Commander skills either

Any reason why the NM has such bad range?  I mean, it's even out-ranged by all the T5 battleships! O_o

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles
37 minutes ago, BlueCutlass said:

...too bad, I would love a little boost to the AA but not willing to give up other Commander skills either

Any reason why the NM has such bad range?  I mean, it's even out-ranged by all the T5 battleships! O_o

Because reasons......

Honestly I don't know why, all the USN BBs from T3 to T7 got a good range buff last year except for New Mexico, currently she has the worse range with even T5 BBs out ranges her which makes no sense

[SVF]
Members
853 posts
1,277 battles
On 6/24/2018 at 2:31 PM, Lert said:

Not even if she was equipped in-game with the ten quad Bofors mounts she had in August 1945?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles
4 minutes ago, landcollector said:

Not even if she was equipped in-game with the ten quad Bofors mounts she had in August 1945?

But she doesn't, so that's a moot point.

[SVF]
Members
853 posts
1,277 battles
59 minutes ago, Lert said:

But she doesn't, so that's a moot point.

Well, you said "never", so I put forth a hypothetical buff situation.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles
2 hours ago, landcollector said:

Well, you said "never", so I put forth a hypothetical buff situation.

A better buff would be WG giving her a actually range boost compared to what they gave the rest of the USN BB line last year, as I said 16.1km doesn't cut it unless you know your going to be top tier, but since you can face T8s, Plotting Room mod is mandatory

[SVF]
Members
853 posts
1,277 battles
32 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

A better buff would be WG giving her a actually range boost compared to what they gave the rest of the USN BB line last year, as I said 16.1km doesn't cut it unless you know your going to be top tier, but since you can face T8s, Plotting Room mod is mandatory

Technically they did.  I remember her max range being around 14.6km without the Artillery Plotting upgrade.  That said, I wouldn't disagree with another base range increase.

[STW-N]
Members
14 posts
8,093 battles

Personally, I prefer the AA mod. CV's are common at T6 and the NM is slow, offering a tempting target for TB's. Actually, NM AA is pretty good. With the AA upgrade, manual AA and AA flag, I have shot down two complete IJN TB squadrons trying to cross drop - without taking a scratch. While NM big gun accuracy is good, hitting anything at max range is problematic (or maybe that's just me). Anyway, I have the spotter plan for those relatively few instances where I want to take some long range shots.

If you are in a T8 match you are not going to hurt the big guys at max range, anyway. Hitting CA's at max range is iffy. Your best bet is to hunt CA's and DD's out if sight of the big guys on the other team.

Edited by lonesome45
added info
  • Cool 1

[SVF]
Members
853 posts
1,277 battles
14 hours ago, lonesome45 said:

If you are in a T8 match you are not going to hurt the big guys at max range, anyway.

I beg to differ.  I once citadel'd a NorCar with my New Mexico at roughly 19km on the old Northern Lights map.

[TOY]
[TOY]
Members
13 posts
2,829 battles

go for the plotting room upgrade..its worth it for the rage and dispersion buff , i the NM is a good ship but her dispersion is soul crushing 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,549 posts
13,992 battles

Fully researched NM has a max gun range of just barely over 16km.  Sure, that's sufficient if you are in your preferred engagement ranges which is below that anyways.  But often times, there are cases where you aren't in that range at all and you'll see opportunities to punish someone. 

Is hitting another broadside BB or Cruiser at 17 or so kilometers harder to do than at 12-15km?  Yes.

But being able to take those shots means you got a chance to punish someone, while without having that gun range, you have ZERO capability to do so.

Let's say a player's chance to hit someone past 16km (just randomly pulling numbers here) is a mere, low 15% chance, on average.  That's a low hit chance from what's typical, BTW, as BBs have almost x2 that hit chance.  That is still a chance to hit and punish someone, to do damage, than a 0% chance to do anything because you can't even reach that far.

Meanwhile, Fuso is sailing along just fine and happy.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FILO]
Alpha Tester
74 posts

I would go AR and stick close to Cruisers for Anti Air support, as it will give you the advantage with your guns.

• Cool 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,026 posts
3,845 battles
On 7/29/2018 at 5:08 AM, bleeckert said:

I would go AR and stick close to Cruisers for Anti Air support, as it will give you the advantage with your guns.

Thats assuming you can find a CA or CL with good AA that doesnt run off and leave your lumbering brick wallowing in its wake. Everyone always says "stick with the fleet", but its a tad tricky at 21kts.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,549 posts
13,992 battles
18 hours ago, BBsquid said:

Thats assuming you can find a CA or CL with good AA that doesnt run off and leave your lumbering brick wallowing in its wake. Everyone always says "stick with the fleet", but its a tad tricky at 21kts.

There's no longer any good AA Cruisers at Tier V-VI, not since Cleveland went to Tier VIII.  Pensacola has good AA DPS but lacks the range to easily guard ships.  Dallas has the range, garbage AA DPS.  The rest are even worse.

Best you can hope for is a VII Atlanta or a Tier VIII Cruiser with some actual AA.  Other than that, stay with others and hope the CV doesn't pick you out.  Unfortunately Tier VI BBs in general have a poor AA reputation, and that alone marks you by the CV.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,026 posts
3,845 battles
38 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There's no longer any good AA Cruisers at Tier V-VI, not since Cleveland went to Tier VIII.  Pensacola has good AA DPS but lacks the range to easily guard ships.  Dallas has the range, garbage AA DPS.  The rest are even worse.

Best you can hope for is a VII Atlanta or a Tier VIII Cruiser with some actual AA.  Other than that, stay with others and hope the CV doesn't pick you out.  Unfortunately Tier VI BBs in general have a poor AA reputation, and that alone marks you by the CV.

I keep forgetting Cleveland went to 8. Odd, since I have her and have played at 8. With my t6 BBs though I generally grab any cruiser(s) i can stay close to...any attrition of incoming squadrons makes my life significantly easier. The problem remains staying close to any friendlies when driving a USN brick though.

[MOH]
Members
188 posts
1,128 battles
On 7/1/2018 at 9:01 PM, BlueCutlass said:

Both the New Mexico and the Arizona at T6 exemplify the "maximum survivability, maximum alpha strike" playstyle, but do so at the expense of main battery range, speed, and turret traverse speed.  Compared to the Arizona, the New Mexico has superior penetration, higher shell velocity, and better AA, where the Arizona has superior armor protection and more accurate battery dispersion. 

Personally, I went the extended range route to capitalize on its heavy emphasis on its alpha strike capabilities, which pushes its maximum range out to over 18km.  Even with AA mods, the New Mexico's AA is still only average.  The Arizona's isn't even worth bothering to look at. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,549 posts
13,992 battles
10 hours ago, BBsquid said:

I keep forgetting Cleveland went to 8. Odd, since I have her and have played at 8. With my t6 BBs though I generally grab any cruiser(s) i can stay close to...any attrition of incoming squadrons makes my life significantly easier. The problem remains staying close to any friendlies when driving a USN brick though.

The USN Standard BBs are just too slow.  Even staying full speed and not deviating to side maneuvers, you will still get left behind.  No Cruiser wants to sit back and guard a 21kt BB while they can go forward and be part of the action, racking up damage, earning XPs / Credits, etc.

I mean, I'm not even anything close to a CV Main.  They are my least played ship type between DDs, BBs, CVs, and Cruisers.  Yet even I understand that the slow 21kt USN Standard BBs are prime targets because they are frequently alone.  All I have to do is bypass the main frontline blob of ships with their mutual AA, and find the solo USN BB trying to catch up behind them.  They're easy pickings.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The USN Standard BBs are just too slow.  Even staying full speed and not deviating to side maneuvers, you will still get left behind.  No Cruiser wants to sit back and guard a 21kt BB while they can go forward and be part of the action, racking up damage, earning XPs / Credits, etc.

I mean, I'm not even anything close to a CV Main.  They are my least played ship type between DDs, BBs, CVs, and Cruisers.  Yet even I understand that the slow 21kt USN Standard BBs are prime targets because they are frequently alone.  All I have to do is bypass the main frontline blob of ships with their mutual AA, and find the solo USN BB trying to catch up behind them.  They're easy pickings.

Yet their turn circle and torpedo defense can brush off most attacks as long as the captain isn't to busy licking windows.  heck my AA build Colorado with a 87 AA rating will and has punished T8 and 9 CVs before so approaching a loan one can be a bad idea. Then again I come from OBT days where AA was mandatory (still is in mid tiers imo) and you have sail defensively when planes come in. I've watched way to many players sail straight and never turn, I watched a KGV get nuked recently by a Ryujo, never did a thing to prevent it. This is the reason IJN DDs have gotten nerfed so bad

Heck I don't rely on cruisers either, it's rare any of them mount defensive fire or invest in their aa at all and their aa is usually pretty dang weak, I've been seeing them get nuked more and more in mid tiers also, sitting still behind a island makes for a easy target

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,549 posts
13,992 battles
On 8/9/2018 at 8:34 PM, Psycodiver said:

Yet their turn circle and torpedo defense can brush off most attacks as long as the captain isn't to busy licking windows.  heck my AA build Colorado with a 87 AA rating will and has punished T8 and 9 CVs before so approaching a loan one can be a bad idea. Then again I come from OBT days where AA was mandatory (still is in mid tiers imo) and you have sail defensively when planes come in. I've watched way to many players sail straight and never turn, I watched a KGV get nuked recently by a Ryujo, never did a thing to prevent it. This is the reason IJN DDs have gotten nerfed so bad

Heck I don't rely on cruisers either, it's rare any of them mount defensive fire or invest in their aa at all and their aa is usually pretty dang weak, I've been seeing them get nuked more and more in mid tiers also, sitting still behind a island makes for a easy target

They can't stop the numerous hits by torpedo and bombs.

Another significant problem for NM is a build and ship capability problem.

You build for AA, okay fine, it's not the most ideal AA but it's better than what Fuso gets.  However, you are now stuck with 16.02km max gun range.

You build to get extra gun range.  Okay, cool.  Your AA is garbage and you will not cause any attrition to airstrikes.  I've sent Kaga airstrikes to NM and lose only 2 bombers before bagging lots and lots of damage.  High TDS or not, the multi-torpedo hits are coming and it's going to hurt.  And once the flood has forced DCP use and goes on CD, here come the Dive Bombers.

Colorado?  Just wait a bit.  She's easy to hit with guns and people will strip off the core of her AA, which are the short and medium range guns that get destroyed easily.  Outside Colorado, NM and below just don't have the AA to make a CV concerned.  Another problem with Colorado's AA is that it's what I like to call "Too late AA."  Again, the core of her DPS is short and medium range, and by the time the planes get there, the CV is all but guaranteed to get hits.  And if this is happening midway through battle where CO has taken punishment, it's not going to get pretty.

This is in sharp contrast to the High Tier USN BBs.  Yes they have good short and medium range DPS, but the core of their AA is their long ranged 127mm DP guns and they can take a pounding.  I've made mistakes in a ship like Alabama, where CLs have relentlessly pounded my ship, taking a lot of HP away from shell and fire damage.  The opposing CV was smart and waited for the Cruisers to soften me up, then sent her planes against me.  And I still mowed them down a long ways off, thanks to the 127mm DP guns.  My 20mm / 40mm guns lost a lot of DPS from the shelling, but enough were still around to supplement the killing power of the long range, sturdy 127mm DP guns.  Through all that, none of my DP guns were lost.

I too still think AA is crucial for mid tiers.  They play in the heart of MM where CVs are still being played.  Tier V-VIII CVs still see action.  The IX-X ones are all but extinct.  Ultra powerful Hakuryu, Taiho, Midway are scary a.f., but they are ultra-rare to find.  The threat of RJ, Hiryu, Saipan, KAGA, Shokaku, Enterprise, Graf Zeppelin exists in those tiers and they are dangerous.  Even POS CV Lexington can be an absolute menace to BBs (the AP Bomb complaints by German BBs she encounters, for one).  Graf Zeppelin right now has all the player attention, but people are forgetting that there are some same and lower tiered CVs that are just as dangerous to surface ships.  Kaga in particular is lighting up people left and right, racking up absurd numbers, and nobody talks about her anymore :Smile_teethhappy: