You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kizarvexis

T10 UK DD Daring

53 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
8,837 posts
7,257 battles

ST, British destroyer Daring, tier X

Hit points – 20800. Plating - 19 mm.

Main battery - 3x2 114 mm. Firing range – 13.8 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 1700. Chance to cause fire – 8%. Maximum AP shell damage - 2100. Reload time - 2.5 s. 180 degree turn time - 7.2 s. Maximum dispersion - 114 m. HE initial velocity - 746 m/s. AP initial velocity - 746 m/s. Sigma value – 2.0.

Torpedo tubes - 2x5 533 mm. Maximum damage - 16767. Range - 10.0 km. Speed - 62 kt. Reload time - 120 s. Launcher 180 degree turn time – 7.2 s. Torpedo detectability - 1.3 km.

Instead of choosing between wide and narrow spreads, captains can choose to fire off individual torpedoes or expend the entire launcher at once.

AA defense - 2х2 40 mm, range - 3,5 km, damage per second - 63. 3х2 114 mm, range - 5.0 km, damage per second - 53.

Maximum speed - 35 kt. Turning circle radius - 630 m. Rudder shift time – 4.6 s. Surface detectability – 7,0 km. Air detectability – 4.3 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 2,5 km.

Available consumables:

Slot 1 - Damage Control Party

Slot 2 - Smoke Generator

Emission time 15 s;
Duration time 113 s;
Cooldown 240 s and 160 s for Smoke Generator II;
Charges 2 and 3 for Smoke Generator II;
Radius - 600 m.
Slot 3 - Engine Boost / Hydroacoustic Search

Torpedo detection range 2,61 km
Ship detection range 3,9 km
Duration 180 s
Cooldown 180 s and 120 s for Hydroacoustic Search II
Charges 2 and 3 for Hydroacoustic Search II
All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with best available modules. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

https://www.facebook.com/wowsdevblog/?hc_ref=ARRj4JiXV__x4P-_jJFw9jyWRLoR2v3Psf6uIcxaPmpIWW85KX-CNx49btSa6CjrOuE&fref=nf

Edited by Kizarvexis
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,837 posts
7,257 battles
3 minutes ago, Lensar said:

No radar??

Just now, Slimeball91 said:

Last minute addition maybe??

:Smile_teethhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
5,768 posts
3,925 battles
3 minutes ago, Lensar said:

No radar??

After the whining and screaming that erupted when they were thinking about giving Grozovoi one, I don't think they were game to go there.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles

With these low muzzle velocities on the same weight shells that the USN 127/38s threw, the arcs and time-to-target are going to be horrible.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,668 posts
9,985 battles

To summarize - a slower but stealthier Gearing which can take a bad version of hydro in lieu of speed boost. Good gun ROF is offset by likely shell arcs and slightly lower damage. Torpedoes are hugely inferior to the American's, and as-is Daring is hamstrung by having to waste 4 points on IFHE just to penetrate destroyer hulls.

No good concealment destroyer is bad, and fortunately for Daring she has what looks like the same 5.5km best case concealment of the Yugumo, which will make her best in tier at T10, just ahead of the 5.6 Shima and Gearing w/legendary module.

Seems murderous on IJN DD, but otherwise a poor torpedo boat and middling gun-from-smoke threat in a meta with 5 radar per team.

2 minutes ago, Lert said:

With these low muzzle velocities on the same weight shells that the USN 127/38s threw, the arcs and time-to-target are going to be horrible.

Same weight, but smaller cross-sectional area so 'denser' which may work out better than the raw numbers suggest - probably still pretty horrible.

Edited by mofton

[PVE]
Members
8,837 posts
7,257 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Not that I'm a great DD player, but wouldn't IFHE on a 114mm gun only pen 24mm of armor? That seems a bigger issue to me as only superstructures would be vulnerable at T10 right?

Edit, I was think of cruiser and BB superstructures, not DD hulls which @mofton brought up.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[SBS]
Members
2,417 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Lert said:

And you're going to have to invest in IFHE with the 114mm guns. 

Edit: I see we are all on the same train of thought on the IFHE issue.

Edited by Slimeball91

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

No kidding. Gun performance is going to be brutal. 

Alpha Tester
291 posts
2,771 battles

Oh Shima, at least you still have the highest torp alpha damage...

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Not that I'm a great DD player, but wouldn't IFHE on a 114mm gun only pen 24mm of armor? That seems a bigger issue to me as only superstructures would be vulnerable at T10 right?

If she gets the normal 1/6 pen rule on her HE, 114mm HE shells will not damage 19mm of armor without IFHE, since 114 / 6 = 19 exactly, and the number needs to beat the thickness of armor to do damage. With IFHE she comes to 23.75, which means she won't damage 24mm of armor either.

[PVE]
Members
8,837 posts
7,257 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

If she gets the normal 1/6 pen rule on her HE, 114mm HE shells will not damage 19mm of armor without IFHE, since 114 / 6 = 19 exactly, and the number needs to beat the thickness of armor to do damage. With IFHE she comes to 23.75, which means she won't damage 24mm of armor either.

I did 19 * 1.33 which came to 25.7. So IFHE, it should be 19*1.3, which comes to 24.7, so penetrates 24mm of armor as the .7 rounds up I thought? If it was .4 or less, then it rounds down? Am I incorrect on that?

[ARGSY]
Members
5,768 posts
3,925 battles

They tend to round down.

I think it was Flamu who, when testing the Vampire, fired the guns to check the arcs and said "We're gonna be shooting down f-ing satellites with this thing." Much the same can be expected across the whole line, I suspect, but when they hit, the world is going to burn. Daring could yet become mini-Zao, just as Conqueror is Mega-Zao.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[HRDP]
Members
2,683 posts
8,113 battles
17 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

And you're going to have to invest in IFHE with the 114mm guns. 

Edit: I see we are all on the same train of thought on the IFHE issue.

If Wargaming reduces the thickness of DD hulls down to 13 mm, then she wont really need IFHE then, as with an 8% fire chance and that RoF, she wont need to pen the superstructures of BB's to do a lot of damage to them.

[SBS]
Members
2,417 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, ryuukei8569 said:

If Wargaming reduces the thickness of DD hulls down to 13 mm, then she wont really need IFHE then, as with an 8% fire chance and that RoF, she wont need to pen the superstructures of BB's to do a lot of damage to them.

I'm trying to block out the DD armor nerf as a valid way of "fixing" DDs taking too much damage.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
12 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I did 19 * 1.33 which came to 25.7. So IFHE, it should be 19*1.3, which comes to 24.7, so penetrates 24mm of armor as the .7 rounds up I thought? If it was .4 or less, then it rounds down? Am I incorrect on that?

You're right, actually. I did 25%. It is 30%. (114 / 6) + 30% = 24.7, so it penetrates 24mm of armor. Rounding doesn't matter, the number needs to beat the thickness of armor and 24.7 > 24, so it damages 24mm of armor.

Too bad most cruisers at tier have 25mm plating or more.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
6 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm trying to block out the DD armor nerf as a valid way of "fixing" DDs taking too much damage.

It really is, at least against battleship shells. The thinner armor will mean battleship AP shells will no longer fuse, which means they will just overpenetrate for 10% damage, instead of fusing and normal pen'ing for 33% damage.

• Bad 1

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

You're right, actually. I did 25%. It is 30%. (114 / 6) + 30% = 24.7, so it penetrates 24mm of armor. Rounding doesn't matter, the number needs to beat the thickness of armor and 24.7 > 24, so it damages 24mm of armor.

Too bad most cruisers at tier have 25mm plating or more.

Does this mean it would kick [edited] if the DD armor nerf happens?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
1 minute ago, Lensar said:

Hmmm. If driven right, possibly. We're still talking about slow, floaty shells not unlike the USN 5"/38, and since the UK liked to build their tin cans compact, likely bad turret angles.

Little secret from me to you: look out for Mouse's Haida review coming soon. I suspect the RNDDs will play very similar to her.

[SBS]
Members
2,417 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Lert said:

It really is, at least against battleship shells. The thinner armor will mean battleship AP shells will no longer fuse, which means they will just overpenetrate for 10% damage, instead of fusing and normal pen'ing for 33% damage.

I don't mean to get too far off topic.  I know it should take care of the BB AP issue, its what will the 203 AP and 100mm HE do in return?  At best its an even trade.  Its the Gearing that will really have a sad face if it loses the 21mmm plating. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
Just now, Slimeball91 said:

I don't mean to get too far off topic.  I know it should take care of the BB AP issue, its what will the 203 AP and 100mm HE do in return?  At best its an even trade.  Its the Gearing that will really have a sad face if it loses the 21mmm plating. 

203mm AP will do much the same as it already does. 100mm HE will no longer need IFHE to damage nerfed plating.

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
4 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Nerf DD to make them even more viable in game. Gotta love the logic we have to bat around here.

Trouble is that when the nerf does happen it'll make smaller calibre DD guns more viable, so I'm afraid we will see the Akizuki effect start to take over in DD design. 

[HRDP]
Members
2,683 posts
8,113 battles
5 minutes ago, Lensar said:

In knife fights, probably, if it has good turret angles it has the potential to out knife fight a gearing or even Z-52. However it would be suicide if it tried to fight Soviet DD's at range. Id imagine that it would also be outgunned by the upcoming IJN T10 gunboat DD as well.

3 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

No one spams 203 mm AP at a DD, thats a non issue, and as for the 100 mm HE, it would only matter when fighting Akizuki, Bismarck, Tirptiz, Scharnhorst, FDG, Alsace and Richelieu, again encountered far less than BB AP. Gearing in particular get blapped rather frequently by BB AP because of that 21 mm belt, one of the reasons I personally don't play gearing a lot.