Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Tier VIII Brit DD: Lightning

30 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Members
1,193 posts
7,594 battles

ST, British destroyer Lightning, tier VIII

Hit points – 15900. Plating - 19 mm.

Main battery - 3x2 120 mm. Firing range – 12.2 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 1700. Chance to cause fire – 9%. Maximum AP shell damage - 2200. Reload time - 6 s. 180 degree turn time - 18 s. Maximum dispersion - 107 m. HE initial velocity - 774 m/s. AP initial velocity - 774 m/s. Sigma value – 2.0.

Torpedo tubes - 2x4 533 mm. Maximum damage - 15867. Range - 8.0 km. Speed - 61 kt. Reload time - 96 s. Launcher 180 degree turn time – 7.2 s. Torpedo detectability - 1.3 km.

Instead of choosing between wide and narrow spreads, captains can choose to fire off individual torpedoes or expend the entire launcher at once.

Maximum speed - 36 kt. Turning circle radius - 590 m. Rudder shift time – 3.8 s. Surface detectability – 7,0 km. Air detectability – 3.8 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 2,5 km.

Available consumables:

Slot 1 - Damage Control Party

Slot 2 - Smoke Generator

Emission time 15 s;
Duration time 106 s;
Cooldown 240 s and 160 s for Smoke Generator II;
Charges 2 and 3 for Smoke Generator II;
Radius - 600 m.
Slot 3 - Engine Boost / Hydroacoustic Search

Torpedo detection range 2,13 km
Ship detection range 3,12 km
Duration 180 s
Cooldown 180 s and 120 s for Hydroacoustic Search II
Charges 2 and 3 for Hydroacoustic Search II
All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with best available modules. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water
  • Boring 1

[KNTI2]
Members
107 posts
444 battles

i really do feel like these ST RN DDs are basically way to reliant on the single torp gimmick now
i mean
the Torpedos have followed how the RN CLs have
2-7 have 6km torpedos
while Tier 8 is 8km
i'm going to guess it's basically going to be 8km for the Tier 9 and 10 now

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
21 minutes ago, _Iku said:

i really do feel like these ST RN DDs are basically way to reliant on the single torp gimmick now
i mean
2-7 have 6km torpedos
while Tier 8 is 8km

Hmmmm these are the same torps as Gallant at tier 6.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
397 posts
5,578 battles

The only bonus I can see is that it should be able to get its detection down to 5.5km. The 120mm shell fired by the Mark XI gun was 24% heavier than those fired by the Mark IX and XII guns. While it may have crap initial shell velocity may not lose as much speed at longer distances?

[HYDRO]
Members
1,303 posts
3,661 battles

It's a gunship with short ranged, long duration hydro and silly low detection. The line so far looks like cap dominators.

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
39 minutes ago, _Iku said:

i mean
2-7 have 6km torpedos
while Tier 8 is 8km

8km is pretty dang short for a DD at top tier. That's pretty deep into radar territory. 

I'll have to play them and see how they are put together, because on paper they aren't looking all that exciting. I'll just stick with KM/USN.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,409 posts
25,237 battles

Ha yeah right. 8 km torps? Genius. Harekaze, Aki, and Kag = 10 kms. Z23 9.5. Oggy = 10 kms. Kiev 8 kms but 10 torps and its Russian gunboat. Benson 9.2. 

Worst torps at T8. Even weirder, Edinburgh has 10 km torps. 

UK DD torps need upgrade....

[4HIM]
Members
1,700 posts
3,864 battles

I'm in mid tier on most DD's.  One thing I HATE about the Russian DD's is lack of useful torp range.  I consider 6km a minimum at mid tier.  A T7 with 6km torps?  No thanks.  That you don't get T6 Gallant torps in the tree until T8 means this would be a line I wouldn't be in a hurry to grind.  Heck, I gave up on the PA line at the "Janeway".  

[EQRN]
Members
300 posts
8,632 battles

Doesn't count for anything in game, but this is the nicest looking one to my eyes so far. 

[VVV]
Members
2,396 posts
47 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

It's a gunship with short ranged, long duration hydro and silly low detection. The line so far looks like cap dominators.

A gunboat...with 6s reload at T8. That's almost IJN torpboat levels of bad. Z-23 with the 150s has only barely worse HE DPM, despite the German flavor of reduced HE alpha.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,542 battles
6 minutes ago, Lord_Magus said:

A gunboat...with 6s reload at T8. That's almost IJN torpboat levels of bad. Z-23 with the 150s has only barely worse HE DPM, despite the German flavor of reduced HE alpha.

Not to mention in a cap fight Z-23 will smoke up sooner and overpower the hydro on this ship and gain an early advantage. It's like they're trying make it a mix of everything but just ended up making it crap at it all. Can't gunboat from range like the RU, can't close in DPM like the USN, can't cap control like Germans, can't skill wall like IJN. What's the point? 

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I'm in mid tier on most DD's.  One thing I HATE about the Russian DD's is lack of useful torp range.  I consider 6km a minimum at mid tier.  A T7 with 6km torps?  No thanks.  That you don't get T6 Gallant torps in the tree until T8 means this would be a line I wouldn't be in a hurry to grind.  Heck, I gave up on the PA line at the "Janeway".  

The Jianwei is the first PA DD that is actually good beside the T2 which is T2 so who really cares.  I know I've seen other people don't like it but I did really well in it.  The 6 and 7 are also quite good and the 8-10 are basically American 8-10.  If you think DDs are torp boats that may be your problem.  I focus on gunning down the enemy dds and then can go torping the bigger ships with the Deepwater torps.  The 5-7 all have good guns (American style guns are subject to personal preference so I won't say the 8-10 are good but they definitely can be) and you have the short cooldown smoke to fall back on if the enemy DD gets too much support.

[4HIM]
Members
1,700 posts
3,864 battles
11 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

The Jianwei is the first PA DD that is actually good beside the T2 which is T2 so who really cares.  I know I've seen other people don't like it but I did really well in it.  The 6 and 7 are also quite good and the 8-10 are basically American 8-10.  If you think DDs are torp boats that may be your problem.  I focus on gunning down the enemy dds and then can go torping the bigger ships with the Deepwater torps.  The 5-7 all have good guns (American style guns are subject to personal preference so I won't say the 8-10 are good but they definitely can be) and you have the short cooldown smoke to fall back on if the enemy DD gets too much support.

I'm in the camp of people who don't like the Janeway.  And yes, I realize DD's aren't all strictly torp botes.  But torps are a tool in the toolbox.  Without serviceable torps, a DD essentially becomes a gimped cruiser.  And with this one having only 8km torps, that would put you inside the secondary range of a Biscuit.  Well inside if the captain is spec'ed for secondaries.  

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
710 posts
5,168 battles

So what with the Radar meta why would I grins out aother line much less T8 or above.

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Ha yeah right. 8 km torps? Genius. Harekaze, Aki, and Kag = 10 kms. Z23 9.5. Oggy = 10 kms. Kiev 8 kms but 10 torps and its Russian gunboat. Benson 9.2. 

Worst torps at T8. Even weirder, Edinburgh has 10 km torps. 

UK DD torps need upgrade....

If they are torp boats they need better torps. If they are gunboats they need better guns. That basically sums the higher tier Brit DD up for me at this time.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,657 posts
9,969 battles

Uninspiring.

Gives up a heck of a lot for 1s better reload than Kagero, and if that advantage is enough at least you can plausibly take that ship in a fight.

After that what you do with your 10 RPM guns and T6 quality torpedoes I don't even know. Hope that with your 3.1km range hydro the Z-23 with it's 4.4km hydro doesn't go to the same cap - I guess at least if you survive the 96s duration of the German hydro you'll have an advantage...

I thought the LM was a bad idea at T8 (in the first line), it forces a shift in gun ballistics between the 4.7in/45 of the lower tier destroyers and the 4.5in/45 of the T9/T10. The ballistics are better, but ROF inferior, while the LM has quads to the pentad tubes on the JKN. Concealment module's always a good T7-T8 upgrade, and WG can give better torpedoes but this is an unhappy looking ship.

[INTEL]
Members
8,409 posts
25,237 battles

If the UK DDs come out in this gimped state, lotta people gonna be unhappy. 

[SBS]
Members
2,403 posts
2,248 battles
Just now, Taichunger said:

If the UK DDs come out in this gimped state, lotta people gonna be unhappy. 

So nothing new for DD players???

• Cool 1

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles
47 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I'm in the camp of people who don't like the Janeway.  And yes, I realize DD's aren't all strictly torp botes.  But torps are a tool in the toolbox.  Without serviceable torps, a DD essentially becomes a gimped cruiser.  And with this one having only 8km torps, that would put you inside the secondary range of a Biscuit.  Well inside if the captain is spec'ed for secondaries.  

Yeah it was more about you quitting PA DDs before they got good than a comment on this ship.  Can't say I'm impressed with it but I don't expect something like this to make it into the game without an added gimmick or buff so not really concerned at the moment.

[4HIM]
Members
1,700 posts
3,864 battles
50 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

If they are torp boats they need better torps. If they are gunboats they need better guns. That basically sums the higher tier Brit DD up for me at this time.

Yeah.  This thing seems to be worse than the Gallant.  And it's a "Mehbote" at T6.  

Members
702 posts
9,924 battles
5 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Oooo, good idea!  I like this!

4 hours ago, Seniorious said:

Not to mention in a cap fight Z-23 will smoke up sooner and overpower the hydro on this ship and gain an early advantage. It's like they're trying make it a mix of everything but just ended up making it crap at it all. Can't gunboat from range like the RU, can't close in DPM like the USN, can't cap control like Germans, can't skill wall like IJN. What's the point? 

Simple.

Jack of all trades, master of none...

Part 2.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,542 battles
2 hours ago, Airglide2 said:

Oooo, good idea!  I like this!

Simple.

Jack of all trades, master of none...

Part 2.

It's a fun concept until you realize it just makes a ship bad at everything because you'll never have any 'strengths' paid for by avoidable weaknesses. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this