You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stormie1126

Tips on which line I should pursue? AKA Getting frustrated/disillusioned

32 comments in this topic

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

Sigh, ok, so....I've made it up to the Kongo, Aoba, Isokaze, Nicholas, Omaha, New York, Nurnberg, and Konig. I also have the Texas and Ishizuchi from 'welcome back gifts'/completing challenges, if that ends up being relevant (maybe someone will end up suggesting use them to farm free xp to help with grind, but the Texas is identical to the New York and the Ishizuchi was merely 'okay' for me, so...) Tried my hand at Carriers, didn't like the playstyle. Haven't pursued anything in the British, Russian, Chinese, or French lines.

I actually sold the Aoba and Omaha because I just HATED them so much-Aoba is far too slow with too long a reload for a cruiser, and sluggish turret traverse, and do I even need to say why I ditched the Omaha? But I'm getting bored/frustrated with this mid-tier grind (I'm a completely free to play player, so I don't buy ships and I'm not premium, and this isn't going to change), especially with the Nurnberg-I love the guns and speed but she's almost as bad as the Omaha in terms of being one-shotted, and she's not *quite* maneuverable enough to avoid fire unless at extreme long range. I need something new/actually fun to sail so I'm not gritting my teeth and staring daggers at my monitor every match. I'm tired of being stuck in the same ships and getting bored/not having fun.

What do y'all suggest I should look into that's fun to play before hitting that mid tier slog? Or should I just try and suck it up and take the eternity to push past T5-6?

Addendum: Yes, I have read up and do know how to play each of the ships I own, that's not a factor with me being frustrated.

[VW]
Members
1,830 posts
12,276 battles

French ships are good, high rof, but also fragile. Russian ships are also fun mid tiers.

the secret really is to find cover/not be the only target so you survive longer and deal more damage.

remember you can use free xp to skip ships you dont like if that’s your choice. Also operations are a great way to get xp for tier 6 ships.

[WOLF8]
Alpha Tester
1,031 posts
4,363 battles

The German BB line is very fun and forgiving. I don't think there's a single ship in the line I didn't enjoy playing. If you're more of a run and gun type of player, it might be a good idea to look into Soviet DDs. They're basically small, quick cruisers which can decimate all other destroyers and cause a great gnashing of teeth of both cruiser and battleship players provided you keep the at arm's length.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

I doubt you know how to play Aoba, because its guns are pretty great. I doubt you know how to play each ship. Perhaps reevaluate your knowledge?

• Cool 1

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
19 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

French ships are good, high rof, but also fragile. Russian ships are also fun mid tiers.

the secret really is to find cover/not be the only target so you survive longer and deal more damage.

remember you can use free xp to skip ships you dont like if that’s your choice. Also operations are a great way to get xp for tier 6 ships.

Yeah the problem is since I'm not premium, free XP rewards are literally nothing. The issue I find with cover is that if you're using it...you often don't have firing angles on enemies. And I always try to not be the only target (sometimes it happens just via chance/not paying attention, that's a case of 'eh what're you gonna do?') but especially when I'm in the Nurn, people just go after me like flies after crap -_-

15 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

The German BB line is very fun and forgiving. I don't think there's a single ship in the line I didn't enjoy playing. If you're more of a run and gun type of player, it might be a good idea to look into Soviet DDs. They're basically small, quick cruisers which can decimate all other destroyers and cause a great gnashing of teeth of both cruiser and battleship players provided you keep the at arm's length.

I'm already up to the Konig, like I said. I do like the German BB's, save for wishing they had *slightly* longer range/better speed, it's just a case of like I said, I've been stuck at the Konig so long without a new ship I'm getting bored.

Edited by Stormie1126

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles

The best thing I can tell you is never to give up on a ship. Sure, some are better than others, but they are ALL capable. Aoba for example, yes it's gun reload is longer in comparison. It and Furutaka are the first cruisers to get 203mm guns, unlike the other lines were they do not get them until tier 7 or so. Pensacola gets them at Tier 6. -Ensign_Cthulhu  This is a double edged sword, as while you are able to take out other cruisers well with AP, if you are unable to do so quickly with citadels they may wither you down with their lighter HE salvos.

They may be different and hard to get accustomed to, but forcing yourself to play the ship how it fits in the meta instead of deeming it worthless because it's different that what came before will leave you better off.

I would also recommend keeping an eye on the main portal and look for when they are holding PTS for next update testing. This server will allow you a lot of freedom to reach out into the tech trees and try ships down the line.

Edited by Pulicat
  • Cool 1

[Y0L0]
Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

KM BBs.  Once you get to Bayern, they become a hoot. Set them up as brawlers and find a way to get into secondary range without becoming the star of the enemy show.

IJN BBs. Kongo is speedy and agile, the rest get beefier as they go up the line.

ALL cruisers are squishy against BBs. Keeping alive and making silver is the challenge. That is why you see a lot of rock-hiders. I like my IJN CAs. Mogami has detect less than torp range and carries 16 torps.

IJN DDs run and torp from stealth. USN DDs sit in wads of perma-smoke and fire guns.

RN CLs sit in smoke and plink with teeny AP  rounds. They are our version of gnats or mosquitoes. They just won't go away and keep swarming you until you get away.

Your enjoyment in any particular ship will be determined by how much you put into the ship and captain.  Any ship with a 5 point captain will feel less than adequate. Put a 17-19 pointer in, and things change.  Any ship that has less than a 10-pointer is not going to feel "right".  Ship upgrades, upgraded consumables, camos and signals can ALL have a serious effect on ship effectiveness. Never sail stock. That is for the unwashed peasantry. :)

Coming into a mature gaming environment and community with so few battles will be an uphill grind. Plenty of low-tier captains have thousands of battles under their belts, and high-end captains in their favorite low-tier ships. When you feel that you are having difficulties you should ask yourself... "Is it the car, or is it the driver?"  :)

Edited by BlueWaterWolf

[-BSS-]
Members
385 posts
5,905 battles

Of the ships you have mentioned I would say the German cruiser line and US destroyer would be the most consistently good.

If you don’t have premium you will be using each ship for quite a while, these 2 lines are fantastic with a cemeptitive ship at every tier.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,341 posts
3,646 battles

I keep reading in your paragraph that you are complaining about being one-shotted in cruisers or that you hated this/that cruiser.

There's a reason why that keeps happening, and it's why you keep getting bummed/burned out.

Learn what a citadel is and how to avoid getting hit in yours.

That last sentence you wrote does not give me confidence in it given the previous statements.

My suggestion would actually be to flip the script and try some DD action.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,925 battles

OP,  I have been in your position but did something even more masochistic and decided to climb the UK cruiser line. It takes persistence.

You need someone to analyse your playstyle and tell you where you're missing. @Lord_Zath is currently on holiday, but he should be back soon and he does an excellent job.

The key lies in not rushing. The thing I find most frustrating and detrimental about this game is the pervasive idea that everyone has to be up at Tier 10 as soon as possible or there's something wrong with them. That is ABSOLUTE FREAKING GARBAGE. Take your time, learn your ships, don't be in a hurry to make progress.

9 minutes ago, BlueWaterWolf said:

Any ship with a 5 point captain will feel less than adequate. Put a 17-19 pointer in, and things change.  Any ship that has less than a 10-pointer is not going to feel "right".  Ship upgrades, upgraded consumables, camos and signals can ALL have a serious effect on ship effectiveness. Never sail stock. That is for the unwashed peasantry. :)

What in God's name are you thinking? The OP has LESS THAN SEVEN HUNDRED BATTLES, there is no way in hell they are in a position to take your advice on captains right now, and calling people like OP unwashed peasantry is beyond counterproductive. It's people like you who make newbies quit.

OP, don't listen to this person or you will go mad and rage-quit in frustration. I have over 2000 battles and my highest captain is still only a fourteen-pointer. DO NOT RUSH. Do not be made to feel guilty or inferior because you don't have the best. And stock ships can do wonderful things.

28 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

unlike the other lines were they do not get them until tier 7 or so.

Pensacola gets them at Tier 6. 

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
8,423 posts
25,278 battles
17 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

This, you can't go wrong with this line.

Also, I see you do not belong to a clan. Find a clan that will let a learner like you join. Not only will the clan members teach you a lot, but gaming is social, and a good clan can keep you coming back and enjoying the game more. 

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What in God's name are you thinking? The OP has LESS THAN SEVEN HUNDRED BATTLES, there is no way in hell they are in a position to take your advice on captains right now, and calling people like OP unwashed peasantry is beyond counterproductive. It's people like you who make newbies quit.

OP, don't listen to this person or you will go mad and rage-quit in frustration. I have over 2000 battles and my highest captain is still only a fourteen-pointer. DO NOT RUSH. Do not be made to feel guilty or inferior because you don't have the best. And stock ships can do wonderful things.

Thank you. I do pretty much ignore people like that, and there've been a couple in this thread sadly, but constantly hearing it....yeah even if I'm not SUPER new, it wears you down. Am I a super elite player? No. But I'm not retarded, I know what a citadel is, I know there isn't a one size fit all strategy for all ships in a line, I do my research and try to follow through. Constantly hearing the same stupid and derogatory crap gets old.

That said, I appreciate the legit advice people have given, even if I'm already trying to do what's suggested (don't rush, play the ships like you're supposed to-eg. snipe with a NY, support from rear with a Nurn-don't show citadel if you can help it, etc.), but I think a lot of the people responding are missing the point of the post-so far only one person's actually answered the question I asked, which is what other lines should I look into to alleviate the frustration of the grind in the lines I've progressed in already.

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,878 battles
22 minutes ago, BlueWaterWolf said:

Any ship that has less than a 10-pointer is not going to feel "right".

^This.  Once you have some T6's, go play Ops until you 4 star the Operation.  That gets you a 10 point captain.  That means you can have a captain with CE, and for DD's it's a "must have".  Same for most cruisers.  And Ops are a great way to grind stock ships.  

Also agree that the French cruiser line is pretty decent.  I'm only to T7 in them, but they're pretty solid.  

But the grind up the line, going from T1 up to T5, the grind is fairly quick.  Even playing Freemium and on a casual basis you can get to T5 in a week or so.  But the gap between the XP and credits gets steep after that.  The gap to T6 is a bit of a step, then it gets much bigger going to T7.  

If you sold the top ships you have in two lines (Aoba and Omaha) I don't know how you're going to progress past them.  You'll especially need Omaha because that's where the US cruiser line will split.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,450 battles
2 hours ago, Stormie1126 said:

Sigh, ok, so....I've made it up to the Kongo, Aoba, Isokaze, Nicholas, Omaha, New York, Nurnberg, and Konig. I also have the Texas and Ishizuchi from 'welcome back gifts'/completing challenges, if that ends up being relevant (maybe someone will end up suggesting use them to farm free xp to help with grind, but the Texas is identical to the New York and the Ishizuchi was merely 'okay' for me, so...) Tried my hand at Carriers, didn't like the playstyle. Haven't pursued anything in the British, Russian, Chinese, or French lines.

I actually sold the Aoba and Omaha because I just HATED them so much-Aoba is far too slow with too long a reload for a cruiser, and sluggish turret traverse, and do I even need to say why I ditched the Omaha? But I'm getting bored/frustrated with this mid-tier grind (I'm a completely free to play player, so I don't buy ships and I'm not premium, and this isn't going to change), especially with the Nurnberg-I love the guns and speed but she's almost as bad as the Omaha in terms of being one-shotted, and she's not *quite* maneuverable enough to avoid fire unless at extreme long range. I need something new/actually fun to sail so I'm not gritting my teeth and staring daggers at my monitor every match. I'm tired of being stuck in the same ships and getting bored/not having fun.

What do y'all suggest I should look into that's fun to play before hitting that mid tier slog? Or should I just try and suck it up and take the eternity to push past T5-6?

Addendum: Yes, I have read up and do know how to play each of the ships I own, that's not a factor with me being frustrated.

Start playing DD. German or American DD lines are fun to play. 

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
24 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Also, I see you do not belong to a clan. Find a clan that will let a learner like you join. Not only will the clan members teach you a lot, but gaming is social, and a good clan can keep you coming back and enjoying the game more. 

Honestly, with how toxic a majority of the community seems/has been, whether in game, on the forums here, or other forums like reddit....nooooooooot really keen on joining a clan.

5 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

But the grind up the line, going from T1 up to T5, the grind is fairly quick.  Even playing Freemium and on a casual basis you can get to T5 in a week or so.  But the gap between the XP and credits gets steep after that.  The gap to T6 is a bit of a step, then it gets much bigger going to T7.  

If you sold the top ships you have in two lines (Aoba and Omaha) I don't know how you're going to progress past them.  You'll especially need Omaha because that's where the US cruiser line will split.

That's the whole point of the post lol. Moving up from T1 to 5 felt nice and fairly proportioned, once I hit T5 it felt like WG was literally saying 'Lol [edited] you freemium trash'.

I sold those two because I just could NOT do anything in a match with them, Omaha more than Aoba. Literally one shot regardless of how I'm angled and I'm dead. Aoba was *slightly* better but it felt like I was driving a mini BB with no armor. But like I've been saying, the OP isn't about progressing up the lines I have, it's about what other lines I can start to actually have some fun to mitigate the slog in what I DO have.

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Pensacola gets them at Tier 6. 

Yes, once upon a time Pensacola was tier 7. I am just used to saying they don't get it till tier 7 as a result.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,925 battles
1 minute ago, Stormie1126 said:

Thank you. I do pretty much ignore people like that, and there've been a couple in this thread sadly, but constantly hearing it....yeah even if I'm not SUPER new, it wears you down. Am I a super elite player? No. But I'm not retarded, I know what a citadel is, I know there isn't a one size fit all strategy for all ships in a line, I do my research and try to follow through. Constantly hearing the same stupid and derogatory crap gets old.

That said, I appreciate the legit advice people have given, even if I'm already trying to do what's suggested (don't rush, play the ships like you're supposed to-eg. snipe with a NY, support from rear with a Nurn-don't show citadel if you can help it, etc.), but I think a lot of the people responding are missing the point of the post-so far only one person's actually answered the question I asked, which is what other lines should I look into to alleviate the frustration of the grind in the lines I've progressed in already.

You're welcome.

Remember that you're in this game to have fun. One of the other big mistakes is to equate fun to winning and to staying alive.

Small points: I have the Ishizuchi also, and while I do not have a very good win or survival rate in her, I enjoy playing her. She's a baby Amagi with less armour. As for the Texas (which I also have), yes she is a New York but she is a New York with significantly better angles on her middle turret and (MOST importantly) with murderous AA firepower. 

Take the game in small bites . Look for small tasks that your ships at Tier V and VI can complete: a flag here, a camo there, whatever Low Tier premium giveaway they choose to offer us next (I have Vampire, Varyag and Tachibana Lima by this method). Don't worry so much about the mega-marathons like the one that's going on at the moment; going on my own experience at the same number of games, you will probably not be able to complete these. Even so, the stage prizes are worth playing for and you will get valuable experience in knowing what to do next time. I don't know if you were around for the North Cape/Duke of York missions, but they were a rude awakening for me after the thrill of winning the Vampire, and they showed me that my ship lines at Tier 5 and above weren't diverse enough. You at least do not have that problem. 

Another thing to consider is playing in co-op from time to time. This is another thing that some people will belittle you for, but the win rate there is FAR higher and this can keep your morale up when you hit a bad patch and are getting slaughtered in randoms. @AdmiralThunder is our resident hardcore Co-Op master, and he can give you some hints on the finer points of co-op play. Bear in mind that the way the bots play is not the way humans play (among other things, they are aware of your torpedoes from the moment they leave the tubes), and you have to keep that in mind when you go back to Randoms.

Go to Zath's Replay Theater on YouTube and look up my Omaha game there. While it was not the best game in history, I survived in a battle against higher-tier ships and it might put a somewhat different perspective on this ship for you when facing higher tiers. When you are top tier in an Omaha and position correctly, you can commit brutal atrocities - I have one game where I did something like 130,000 damage without getting a scratch on my ship. It was glorious. The Omaha is the gateway to the American cruisers (all of them), and if you can learn to love her then great things await you. Take it slow, take it steady, and don't listen to the knockers.

Best of luck.

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,878 battles
5 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

Honestly, with how toxic a majority of the community seems/has been, whether in game, on the forums here, or other forums like reddit....nooooooooot really keen on joining a clan.

That's the whole point of the post lol. Moving up from T1 to 5 felt nice and fairly proportioned, once I hit T5 it felt like WG was literally saying 'Lol [edited] you freemium trash'.

I sold those two because I just could NOT do anything in a match with them, Omaha more than Aoba. Literally one shot regardless of how I'm angled and I'm dead. Aoba was *slightly* better but it felt like I was driving a mini BB with no armor. But like I've been saying, the OP isn't about progressing up the lines I have, it's about what other lines I can start to actually have some fun to mitigate the slog in what I DO have.

Some on the game and sites can be toxic, but the best way is to ignore them and go on.  In any FTP game, the toxic types seem to gravitate to them.  

The Match Maker (MM) 'protects' players in T1-T4 ships.  T4 never sees anything higher than T5.  Once at T5, you'll start playing against T7 players.  In T7 you'll find a LOT of far more experienced players with 19 point captains.  They gravitate there because the economy in T10 almost forces them to play a lower tier for credits.  Again, try the T6 Ops (Killer Whale is probably the easiest at this time).  The N'berg can do well in those, even Naval Station Newport (probably at this time the most difficult of the T6 Ops).  

Another thing in the lower tiers.  In T1-T3, you can win by just getting in the first shot and having better aim than the other players.  Starting at T3 and up, you have to angle to mitigate damage.  But once at T5, you need to know how to position yourself on the map to take advantage of the strengths (and hide the weaknesses) of your ship.  Cruisers teach you that because if you get out of position, you'll die quickly.  But map positioning is still a weakness of mine.  Still trying to learn though.

Again, try the French cruisers.  Decent guns, decent turret traverse, and workable torps (something the Russian ships sorely lack).  

Members
1,125 posts
6,703 battles

The French BB and cruiser lines are both pretty good.  they haven't been power crept as much compared to the older lines. 

Anyways, try and find a ship/line that you enjoy.  If you really enjoy a ship, keep it.  If not, sell it when you are done.   I am always looking for ships to keep that were fun, no matter the line or nation.(QE will probably be the newest addition)   Plus it is always nice to have some variety of ships that you can play with at any tier.  I have a DD, cruiser, and BB at every tier at 5 and up  except in one instance at tier 8.(hopefully the aki will be fun, and i will make that my keeper)  Makes it easier to do some missions, play with friends at different tiers, and gives you a chance to enjoy different play styles every now and then. 

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,404 posts
4,285 battles
18 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

Ever played WoT and interacted with the people there? I'd say that the WoWs community is a definite improvement. But I second Taichunger's advice on joining a clan that's welcoming to fairly new players. You just need to find the right one for you.

Regarding your second paragraph, well WG ultimately is a business, not a charity. But the grind isn't that bad until one gets to tier 8. Tier 5 goes by pretty fast overall.

Some advice for you if I may. You say that you know how to play the ships. However I've taken a look at your stats, and they paint a different story. Your average kills is below average, your average damage is below average, your survival rates are not good and in the case of some ships absolutely abysmal. Stats don't lie, and the story it paints is that it isn't the ships that are the issue but the captain. In WoWs it's consider that people with less thsn 1000 games are still learning, and a good number of people potato long after that number. A little humility would not be amiss. So step back and try to reflect on one's own performance and see where you could have done better. Recognising where you can improve is the first step to getting better.

[WOLF6]
Members
661 posts
3,561 battles

The Texas and New York are not the same even though they are sister ships.  There is a slight difference that makes Texas easier to play than the New York.

I was pleasantly surprised playing New Mexico and Colorado after putting up with New York.

I really liked Omaha, and getting to Cleveland from Omaha (before 0.7.5) was like stepping into Valhalla. Cleveland was my favorite tier 6 ship.  I ended up getting my first 19 point captain on Cleveland, and he moved up to Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore, and now he’s on Buffalo working on getting to Des Moines . Just using the elite commander XP I’ve earned from having him grind up to Buffalo from Cleveland I’ve been able to use his XP to obtain a second 19 point captain.

the hard part was getting to tier 6.  Once I got to tier 6, I found it easier to get to tier 7 just due to playing operations.

but I don’t play with any particular goal in mind, just play the ships I am working on a little at a time, and before I know it, I’ve unlocked the next tier.  When I get discouraged from losing too many times in random battles.  I switch to Atlanta (premium ship) in coop and just blast away at bots and that seems to make me feel better.

i know you said you’re a free to play player only.   But premium time really helps in earning XP and more importantly credits.   You gain 50% XP gains with each battle and your credits increase is actually greater than 50% because while your credits gained is increased by 50% your battle costs are not increased (they are the same whether you are free to play or premium.)

pair the premium time with judicious use of any of the economic /dragon signals and camos you’ve earned from playing will shorten your grind in tiers 6+.

Edited by wtfovr

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
41 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Ever played WoT and interacted with the people there? I'd say that the WoWs community is a definite improvement. But I second Taichunger's advice on joining a clan that's welcoming to fairly new players. You just need to find the right one for you.

Regarding your second paragraph, well WG ultimately is a business, not a charity. But the grind isn't that bad until one gets to tier 8. Tier 5 goes by pretty fast overall.

Some advice for you if I may. You say that you know how to play the ships. However I've taken a look at your stats, and they paint a different story. Your average kills is below average, your average damage is below average, your survival rates are not good and in the case of some ships absolutely abysmal. Stats don't lie, and the story it paints is that it isn't the ships that are the issue but the captain. In WoWs it's consider that people with less thsn 1000 games are still learning, and a good number of people potato long after that number. A little humility would not be amiss. So step back and try to reflect on one's own performance and see where you could have done better. Recognising where you can improve is the first step to getting better.

I played WoT, but only on the 360, where there was no text chat and hardly anyone used voice, so my experience there is drastically different XD

That said, I know it's a business and they have to make money somehow since the game itself is free...it's just there's a [edited], predatory way to do it, and a fun, healthy way. I kinda feel like WG leans more towards the former rather than the latter. Way I see it, I should want to spend money because it will improve the fun/rewards I'm already having...not because I feel forced to and like I'm at a severe disadvantage without.

As far as stats, I did say I wasn't an *excellent* player. My point was I know what I *should* be doing, and try to do it, but following through on execution, yeah, is a different story. Also doesn't help that even if you try to do what you should, if you have a crap team who doesn't engage, leaving you by yourself, there's not much you can do when 80% of the enemy is gunning for you.

24 minutes ago, wtfovr said:

i know you said you’re a free to play player only.   But premium time really helps in earning XP and more importantly credits.   You gain 50% XP gains with each battle and your credits increase is actually greater than 50% because while your credits gained is increased by 50% your battle costs are not increased (they are the same whether you are free to play or premium.)

pair the premium time with judicious use of any of the economic /dragon signals and camos you’ve earned from playing will shorten your grind in tiers 6+.

Oh trust me, I'd love to be premium if I could; I've had a few short stints with it due to the 'please come back' incentives WG gives out every now and then when I take a break. But I literally can't *afford* premium-I'm disabled but am still waiting to be approved for payments, and who knows how long that's going to take. I use flags when I can, but containers seem to never give me economic ones just by luck of the draw, and I only just started doing campaigns, which give some out, this week when I came back from a 6 month break. I'm currently stockpiling what I can so I can actually use them for more than a match or two. This is also what I meant by the above in relation to WG being kinda [edited] and predatory-non premium rewards are SO low that it's literally painful and nearly necessary to be premium if you want a reasonable progression timeline.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,374 posts
10,157 battles
4 hours ago, Stormie1126 said:

OP - not sure what any of us can really tell you. It sounds to me like you just have a case of burn out. Maybe step away for a week or two then come back and see if a fresh look improves your desire to play the game? Here are a few thoughts for you...

• You are daunted by the grind at the T5 level. My friend you haven't even begun to experience the grind in WOWS. For example, the 36,500 XP you need to get to Pensacola from a fully upgraded  Omaha won't even cover a hull upgrade on a T8 BB. Think that is bad? Want Yamato? Once you get to the T9 Izumo you will still need 395,000 XP to upgrade it and then unlock Yamato. I don't say this to deter you from continuing just to place your current grind into perspective. You are still in easy mode.:Smile_teethhappy:
  • Stop trying to rush. Slow down and just play for enjoyment. Don't stress and worry so much about how long until the next ship. That leads to the kind of frustration and stress you are having. If you just play the new ships will come along in due time. Always trying to rush to the next one can mean missing a lot of fun in a ship you already have. The Konig for example is one of the best BB's in the game. Enjoy it, play it, sink stuff with it, and rejoice (but please don't gloat - enough a-holes in game now) LOL. I am to T10 in every BB line and yet I still play Konig often because of how much fun it is. It is great to have goals, and I have had many in game (still working on a few), but the best way to reach them is to just play and have fun and let them happen when they do. Frenzied worry over getting to that next ship will burn you out (which sounds like the case here). And, as I said 1st, you have not even begun to experience a grind yet. If T5-T6 grinds are too much for you stop and don't go further. It will get so much worse the higher you go.
  • For most people that play the game there are ship types and national lines they like and do well in and some they hate and suck in. It's normal. T5-T6 is where the various nations and ship lines start to separate into their unique playstyles. Up through T4 most are the same thing with a different name overall. So play all to T5-T6 and then as you play them you can get a feel for what the line will be. IF you dislike it stop and focus more on the ones you do like. Sounds like you are there now and have some dislikes (Omaha and Aoba). The IJN line is just more of Aoba right to T10 pretty much so doesn't sound like a line for you (I hated Aoba as well but T7 on are better even if the playstyle is the same if you want to keep trying). Omaha isn't that bad but it is fragile and takes some awareness to do well in (I actually liked it the 1st go round and have bought it back now that I am at T10 Des Moines). The US Line has been split and soon there will be a new CL at T6 to go to as well as the Heavy Cruiser line that we have now with Pepsi and on. I think quitting now at Omaha is premature. Just relax and play for fun and get to T6 in each side of the tree and see if one or the other better suits you? You might want to make that T7 in the CA's as Pensacola is just a horrendously bad ship and it should not be used to judge the rest of the CA's by. I finish lines I like and then go back to finish lines I hated and dropped after. Many times I do better the 2nd go round with a line as I have become a better player and can make them work better than the 1st time.
  • Another thing that is causing you frustration is your low rewards. Unfortunately that is because you play on a standard/free account. There is NOTHING wrong with that either be it choice or financial reasons. I am not judging just speaking to the situation. If you want to make things go a bit faster and easier Premium time will help a lot. Low tiers go so fast that a free account is not a real hindrance but you are getting up to the areas where it makes a long grind glacial. Many people play all the way to T10 on free accounts so it can be done. But Premium time will make your life easier if you are willing and able. I played for free until I hit the same area you are at now = T5/T6 and then I went to Premium time.
  • Try playing some Co-op with ships you struggle in. It will help you to learn how to handle the ship better without the stress of PVP. You can also just play some Co-op when you just want to have some fun and blap stuff; again without the stress of PVP. I actually don't play PVP much at all. I am mainly a Co-op player at all tiers. I don't like the atmosphere shall we say of PVP. Co-op games are faster, the bots are super aggressive so you always get fights, and the people are generally nicer. Just where I prefer to play. Maybe it will suit you better as well? Try it and see. If not and you prefer PVP that's cool stay there. You have options to destress in game which is the point. BUT, and it is a big BUT. IF you plan to play any real amount of Co-op past T6 you need Premium time at a minimum or you will lsoe credits. Co-op pays a tiny fraction of Random so be aware of that if you aren't already.

Just try and have some fun my friend. Remember this is a game and nothing more. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles
4 hours ago, Stormie1126 said:

One of the dividing lines in this game is at T6-T7. What really defines it is when you get 10 point captains. That 4 pt skill (usually CE) is where this game and the ships really  change. So yea, you kinda have to push past that T5-6 , and find that 10, 10+ point captain line

As to ship lines , some are only worth it up to a point . The ones you enjoy playing, continue with them , the ones you don't stop.  You can never really judge any ship till you get the B-hull  everything improved version , combining that with the 10 point or more captains that is where it is at.

MY own ideas-

As far as CA lines, personally I hate the IJN. The British are cool up till Eddy,  The Americans are good and so are the French. Never could make Germans ones work either.

DD? IJN all the way, then go back and play those lesser peoples. LOL

BB's -Biz will burn you out on Germans , US and IJN and Brit all good, French are an interesting change.

Never could get any Russ lines to work, and they seems to be the best way to murder your win rate so stay away from them, they got some mean ships here and there 

Edited by Strachwitz666

Members
3,411 posts
6,072 battles

700 games is not enough to know how the different ship play even within the same nation.  I was frustrated early as well - no disillusionment since I knew it was not an easy game and I would struggle at it.  Switch nations and ship class till you find one that 'clicks'.  Personally I found French CA/BBs are fantastic and they work for me.  German BBs are also quite good but I hit a wall at tier 9.  US BBs are great if they hit but can be punished easily if caught out.

Lots of different play styles for any line and nation that works for different people.  Lots of information at the forums here: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/146-discussions-about-warships/  based on nation and ship.

I have over 5K games and still don't know near as much as I need to.