You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

One Good Thing About Haida's Extended Development

54 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Members
1,229 posts
7,669 battles

For those of us a bit more interested in just buying ships with interesting variations in their playstyles, Haida's late arrival means we'll get to see a general idea of what the Brit DDs will be before see comes out and we can decide whether we want to grab her or wait for a near-identical tech tree ship. Still, from what I remember about her last Dev Blog Update, she should be fairly solid.

[FAE]
Members
106 posts
1,677 battles

Gadjah is near gad-awful whenever theres T8+ or radar though. 8km torps is a massive pain to deal anything against multiple 10km radars. 

[NGA-B]
Members
1,229 posts
7,669 battles

Eh, Haida has a bit more range plus Hydro and her smoke recharges quickly. Although that may be due to getting a Perth-type smoke. Haida and Cossack's parallel development caused things to get a bit confusing.

[PLPTS]
Members
699 posts

Clarification OP: The HMCS Haida is a Canadian ship. Not a British ship. Judging by the dev blog released about the RN DD line, the Haida seems to be rather unique compared to the RN line. It shares the single fire torps... But not so much the detection values?

I know that in America there is this common misunderstanding and stubborn resistance to the concept that the RCN did have different variants of RN ships...

But, the HMCS Haida appears to be a new sub-class of DD similar to the revamped Grozovoi in premise ... The "stealth gunboat"...

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,704 posts
10,055 battles

The Tribal's were more gun-oriented ships and shouldn't necessarily reflect the playstyle of the British destroyers overall, which were more torpedo-centric.

Then again, they just announced the T7 with 6km torpedoes on 6.3km stealth so... I can't really say they're torpedo-centric either...

[TDRB]
Members
972 posts
3,772 battles

When used as design in the real world the Haida was very successful. In this game DD's spam a lot of torpedoes. With only 4 tubes I wonder how well this ship will be accepted outside of for historical reasons.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, kgh52 said:

When used as design in the real world the Haida was very successful. In this game DD's spam a lot of torpedoes. With only 4 tubes I wonder how well this ship will be accepted outside of for historical reasons.

It's hard to say, but I think this ships might be fun with the low detection and perth style smoke.  I'll admit, fun doesn't necessarily mean competitive.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles

I think the low detection is going to make her a big cap bully.  Capping wins games.

[PVE]
Members
9,020 posts
7,315 battles
18 minutes ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Clarification OP: The HMCS Haida is a Canadian ship. Not a British ship. Judging by the dev blog released about the RN DD line, the Haida seems to be rather unique compared to the RN line. It shares the single fire torps... But not so much the detection values?

I know that in America there is this common misunderstanding and stubborn resistance to the concept that the RCN did have different variants of RN ships...

But, the HMCS Haida appears to be a new sub-class of DD similar to the revamped Grozovoi in premise ... The "stealth gunboat"...

But, but... y'all are so nice and who would think such nice people would go to war. :Smile_teethhappy:

Yes, I know that is the stereotypical Canadian, but that is what makes things like this so funny. 

http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml

qbU6C8W.jpg

I know a lot of Americans don't know what is going on outside of their own state, but some of us do read :Smile_teethhappy: and know Canada has a proud military tradition. :Smile_honoring:

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, crzyhawk said:

I think the low detection is going to make her a big cap bully.  Capping wins games.

Until those radar jerks show up and ruin all the fun. :Smile_sad:

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles
Just now, Slimeball91 said:

Until those radar jerks show up and ruin all the fun. :Smile_sad:

At T7 radar is less common.  She'll see it in higher tier games, but at t7, there's only a handful of ships with radar and none of them generally like to set up and spend all game behind an island at a cap.  That's really what makes Belfast so deadly.  She can get close at the beginning of a game and assassinate a DD from the get go, and that generally give their team a massive advantage.  Atlanta...isn't as good at that, and Indy is straight up bad at it.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, crzyhawk said:

At T7 radar is less common.  She'll see it in higher tier games, but at t7, there's only a handful of ships with radar and none of them generally like to set up and spend all game behind an island at a cap.  That's really what makes Belfast so deadly.  She can get close at the beginning of a game and assassinate a DD from the get go, and that generally give their team a massive advantage.  Atlanta...isn't as good at that, and Indy is straight up bad at it.

T7 MMing isn't bad but you'll see your share of T8 radar.  Also, the Indy got her radar buffed and WG decided to give her away.  T7 will see a few more radar ships for sure.  Oh, I'm not convinced the Boise isn't getting radar (I'm guessing a choice of radar or heal will be the final design).

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles

Yep you will still see it when you're uptiered, but you'll have it no worse than any other DD.  I think that Haida is going to be hated by their fellow DD players.  They dislike high count DD games because they can't just curry around doing what they want due to red DDs trying to do the same things.  Haida is the ultimate middle finger to other DD players in a way USN DDs only dream about.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, crzyhawk said:

Yep you will still see it when you're uptiered, but you'll have it no worse than any other DD.  I think that Haida is going to be hated by their fellow DD players.  They dislike high count DD games because they can't just curry around doing what they want due to red DDs trying to do the same things.  Haida is the ultimate middle finger to other DD players in a way USN DDs only dream about.

I don't know, RPF, USN guns, and two (or three) sets of torps are pretty nice.  You're right, the T8 level of concealment at T7 is pretty attractive.  If I felt better about where the game was headed for DDs I'd jump on the this ship.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles

I dont feel good about it for DDs presently either.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, ZARDOZ_II said:

How do you keep a Canuk in suspense?

"Haida coming soonTM"

I'm pretty sure Haida has gone from "soonTM" to soon.

[4HIM]
Members
1,722 posts
3,905 battles
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm pretty sure Haida has gone from "soonTM" to soon.

As opposed to T-61 which is "soonBWAAAHAHAHAHAHA"

[NGA-B]
Members
1,229 posts
7,669 battles
1 hour ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Very true, however she is based on a British design and there was a possibility of a similar ship appearing in the tech tree. If you'll look, you will see that I posted this a little while before the tier VII Brit DD was revealed as the L-class Lightning. In fact, that just further supports my view since Lightning is kinda crappy as-is.