Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Best cruiser line to play for a beginner?

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
205 posts
4,204 battles

If you had to pick one cruiser line to start at which country would you recommend? For BB's I started down the USN line first. Is there a really good ship I could jump up to because I have a ton of free xp? I do have some experience with playing premium cruisers the last 3-4 weeks. TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
475 posts
5,642 battles

I would say russian cruisers. Long HE spammers with rail guns. It is very easy to play with them because you don't need to be agressive. Just farm damage and let the others scout for you . In late game situations then you can push to close combat situations favorable to you.

Edited by _no_one_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
241
[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

I would save your free XP and just work down a line you enjoy.  Personally, I really like the French and German lines because you don't have to hide behind islands to play them effectively.  It really depends on your play style, though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
205 posts
4,204 battles

The Atlanta and the Perth. I find the Perth lots of fun but have a lot of problems making the Atlanta work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,616 posts
13,392 battles

If I was starting a new account from scratch knowing what I know about the Cruiser lines, I'd go with the French Cruisers. With the exception of Jurien (tier 2) :cap_haloween: they're good to excellent ships with decent survivability, reasonably accurate and effective guns, good torpedoes, and good maneuverability. They don't really excel at anything but they're pretty good at almost everything.

14 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

The Atlanta and the Perth. I find the Perth lots of fun but have a lot of problems making the Atlanta work.

I have Perth too and she's great, Belfast's kid brother. Atlanta has a very steep learning curve and is very unforgiving to novice players but she's a beast with a good driver at the controls. I cant seem to get the best out of 'Lanta either.  :Smile_sad:

Edited by ReddNekk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
133
[VIP-2]
Members
802 posts
2,827 battles

I focused on the us bb line early, they are kind of the mario of wows bbs, good at most things, but no life changing specialties.

At one point there was this race up the french cruiser line challenge. I went from t2 to t7 pretty quick. I found them to be pretty similar... good at all, great at nothing. Although i did notice my playstyle worked best pushing in and then kiting away. Not to make serious the whole french surrender thing, but they do play very well in retreat...

I would second the recomendation for french line for that reason, but i think all the lines are fun, so any is fair game.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,296
[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
5,999 posts
9,518 battles

German and Americans are best for beginners. they have good guns, AA and are flexible on most maps.:fish_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
594
[TF57]
Members
1,230 posts
3,915 battles

Russian and Japanese.
Russian have useful railguns for long range kiting and are easy to get good damage in.

Japanese a bit more versatile; good HE, useful stealth and often have good torpedoes.

As a bonus, they have all solid ships the whole way through without any real lemons. both are quite conventional cruiser lines.

Maybe French - they're fun at low tiers!


Not....

German get good only at high tiers (so not a beginner line)

British are too unique to be a good trainer for typical cruisers

US are too squishy/reliant on island camping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
269
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,708 posts
9,376 battles

If you want to take the advantage of playing, play the French, because the Friant at tier3 have the turret lay (AB-X), and due to it armor, you forced to learn how to angle and many other thing.

If you like to take relax way, the German is excellent at ALL-ROUNDER

If you like and have time for radar as fun, then USN

If you like stealth/fire + torp, then try IJN cruiser

Dont touch the Brit and Russian until you master the other first and also master the game mechanic

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
133
[VIP-2]
Members
802 posts
2,827 battles
1 minute ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

If you want to take the advantage of playing, play the French, because the Friant at tier3 have the turret lay (AB-X), and due to it armor, you forced to learn how to angle and many other thing.

If you like to take relax way, the German is excellent at ALL-ROUNDER

If you like and have time for radar as fun, then USN

If you like stealth/fire + torp, then try IJN cruiser

Dont touch the Brit and Russian until you master the other first and also master the game mechanic

Not sure if i totally agree with the russian line. But i can second the brit line, that is just a big dd, so until you are comfortable with them, i would avoid brits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
73
[PRNA]
Members
201 posts
2,688 battles

Depends.

The two cruiser lines I would recommend for a new player would be either the Russian line or the heavy USN line, both for the same reason, but also not.

They play almost exactly the opposite of each other. The Russian line wants to do nothing but spam HE at its max range. The US heavy line (Des Moines at the end) wants to do nothing but hug rocks close up. 

So why recommend them? Well, because they both just do one thing up the majority of the line. Once you figure out how they "work" the rest of the line mostly falls into place. So its easy to do decent in either line. Granted they have little quirks here and there while grinding, but they do a "thing" (hiding behind rocks and radaring, or kiting for late game radar), and thats what they do. Some of the other lines like the German line gets real weird with wanting you do multiple things simultaneously, which you need to have the basics down first before you can really get much out of them.

Also both of the lines have Radar, which allows you to be useful even if you dont have the gunplay down pat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
269
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,708 posts
9,376 battles
Just now, c3shooter said:

Not sure if i totally agree with the russian line

The OP mainly play bb, USN. They dont have spotter plane and therefore will not be familiar with shooting while in spotter plane view (unless otherwise). Then if B hull upgrade, switch to hydro with short range (4.5km?) until t8 t9 t10 = 11.7km. They also have 4km torp but armor-less armor. Unless OP know what to do, even behind island and just fire farming, good players can still nuke ship behind island - which not encouraging

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
59 posts
887 battles

I can't really say what would be the best. I'm currently grinding the U.K. Cruiser line and enjoying it so far. But I'm also starting a French line as well, they sound fun :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
448
[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

I would have picked the French or IJN line, though French ones are more sturdy and faster, where IJN has better concealment and starts fires slightly better. Why?

  • Good HE shells
  • Long range torpedoes
  • Good spread
  • Decent AP shells
  • Good fire chance

I don't recommend SN, because you need IFHE to get something useful out of the HE pretty early down the line. Imo it is a boring line.
I don't recommend KM, because it is a pretty difficult line towards tier 8. Fragile ships, good AP, but not so good HE. From tier 8 you get better ships, but difficult matchmaking, so it is mostly at tier 9 and 10 where it becomes more easy.
I don't recommend RN, because the whole line consists of squishy ships. Very good squishy ships, but you definitely need some situational awareness. Smoking in the open water is usually a no go, because at that point it is just a waiting game till you get dev striked...
I don't recommend US, because squishy ships, no torpedoes and not so great HE. You need to know how humans react, thus experience, before you can unleash the true AP power.

 

19 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

If you like to take relax way, the German is excellent at ALL-ROUNDER

I doubt to believe you had a relaxing time in the German grind, or did you start at Hindenburg? ;p

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
133
[VIP-2]
Members
802 posts
2,827 battles
8 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

The OP mainly play bb, USN. They dont have spotter plane and therefore will not be familiar with shooting while in spotter plane view (unless otherwise). Then if B hull upgrade, switch to hydro with short range (4.5km?) until t8 t9 t10 = 11.7km. They also have 4km torp but armor-less armor. Unless OP know what to do, even behind island and just fire farming, good players can still nuke ship behind island - which not encouraging

Well t6 and up have spotter in usn, but i see what you mean. The russian line i did find very squishy, but i remember some really good damage games in them too, so definately a trade off because usn bbs are forgiving of poor position. Also i retuened to the russian cruisers last so it was probably much easier that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
269
[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,708 posts
9,376 battles
5 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

relaxing time i

They have 6.5km torp range, OK HE and AP, got hydro and fighter plane, study from t6. I actually got the Hindy as my first t10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
421
[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,877 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

If you had to pick one cruiser line to start at which country would you recommend? For BB's I started down the USN line first. Is there a really good ship I could jump up to because I have a ton of free xp? I do have some experience with playing premium cruisers the last 3-4 weeks. TIA

As I said in the other thread, I think the French cruiser line is most forgiving for new players to get started on.  The Soviet and USN cruiser lines are solid and straightforward - the Japanese tend to be a bit squishy, but I support not more so than the Soviet line...  

Definitely, do not start on the UK CL line - that requires a lot of knowledge of the game mechanics to do well in them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,299 posts
9,262 battles

Id say that Japanese and American are very good because they will teach you basic cruiser play and are pretty forgiving. The German line is not as forgiving but you can role with it. Any of the others I wouldn't suggest till after mastering one or more of the others.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
319
[ASHIP]
Members
580 posts
5,190 battles

For people who are absolutely new to cruisers, French is absolutely the way to go. They are the most bog-standard, can do anything, zero-gimmick, solid throughout the line cruisers. Anything a cruiser can do they can do, anything that's gonna happen to a cruiser will happen to them at least once. In my mind they are the definition of the 'average', middle of the road cruiser playstyle. This also makes them super boring to play once you've played a few thousand matches in more interesting cruisers, so you're gonna want to do them early anyway.

I haven't played IJN cruisers much, but in my experience new players tend to find handling the poor firing arcs on their guns and especially torpedoes very problematic. Still a fairly decent line, might be worth exploring if you're into the IJN.

Russian and German cruisers are polar opposites of each other. The former are high-HE-firepower glass cannons, while the latter are heavily armoured but low firepower ships which rely far more on AP. Both can be fantastic, but their specialisation means that a experienced captain is needed to compensate for their shortcomings and get the most out of them. Plus, neither of these lines will show you everything a cruiser can do, or teach you everything that can happen in a cruiser. Oh, and the KM tier 3-4 CLs are the worst ships in the game.

Avoid the British and USN cruisers as your first line. If you're lucky it might work out in the end, but they both have very niche playstyles that has a good chance of just frustrating the hell out of you. Plus the USN CA line is still a confused mess that can't settle on a consistent playstyle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,557
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,540 posts
13,992 battles

IJN Cruisers.

 

While there are many Cruiser Lines with ranged proficiency, IJN Cruisers have a thing going for them that the other long ranged Cruisers lack... Stealth.

 

As a line, IJN Cruisers are only bested by RN CLs for concealment.

 

IJN Cruisers these days are underrated.  They bring several unique things into one package on their ships.

1.  Good to Excellent Stealth.  This lets you more easily control your engagements.

2.  Well rounded selection of HE & AP shell capability.  Their AP is strong enough to punish ships that need to be punished.  Their HE is still very good.  Their shells don't float in the air like USN & French Cruisers.  Their HE shells have both good damage values as well as high fire chance.  Their gunnery is very efficient due to their shell flight behavior and shell damage stats, fire chances.

3.  They eventually adopt long range, 10km torpedoes.  The caveat is that their torp tubes emphasize a rearward launch.

4.  Very respectable speeds.

5.  With points 1-4 above, IJN Cruisers are at their best kiting, doing fighting withdrawals.  They spam shells as they retreat, they can drop torpedoes without showing too much sides as they run away.  Matter of fact, they can retreat, drop torps in stealth as they retreat.  If anyone gets hit by their torps, they can then resume gunfire and set fire on the target that likely had to pop DCP to stop the Flood.

French Cruisers are poor in doing this as their torps while having decent range, they carry very few torps.

USN Cruisers suck in open water fighting, hell, almost all of them lack torpedoes.

German Cruisers have poor torpedo ranges.

Russian Cruisers have bad stealth, bad torpedoes.

RN CLs have the stealth, speed, and decent torpedo ranges, but many lack the torpedo count, and of course, they don't have the HE shells to make someone really pay if they get hit by the torps.

 

The only annoying thing they have is that turret traverse is mediocre with VII Myoko the worst of them.

 

Also, Zao is about to get a very powerful buff... She is going to have 12km torpedoes soon.  She was already the 2nd stealthiest Tier X Cruiser, only Minotaur is sneakier than her.  Zao with the 8km F3 torpedoes could not do the stealth / kite / torpedo / gun spam tactics that many of the other IJN Cruisers could do.  Not with 8km torps.  But with 12km torps?  Meat's back on the menu, boys!

 

Premium Cruiser Selection:  You got VIII Atago, III Katori, and IV Yubari.  Atago is one of the oldest Premiums in the game and is still a rock solid choice at Tier VIII.

 

Lastly, IJN Cruisers is predominantly a CA Line.  Matter of fact, they are the line that starts the CA phase the earliest.  Tier V Furutaka gets 203mm gun access and from there the line is consistent with their gunnery.  Another plus with having so many CAs is that you can look at IFHE and flip it the f--k off.  Use the 4 points for something else.  As a consequence, like other CAs, IJN CAs don't require high point captains.  If you got 10pts you can grab CE and commit to a Stealth Build.  From there you already got the foundations needed for every IJN Cruiser.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,160 posts
501 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

IJN Cruisers.

 

While there are many Cruiser Lines with ranged proficiency, IJN Cruisers have a thing going for them that the other long ranged Cruisers lack... Stealth.

 

As a line, IJN Cruisers are only bested by RN CLs for concealment.

 

IJN Cruisers these days are underrated.  They bring several unique things into one package on their ships.

1.  Good to Excellent Stealth.  This lets you more easily control your engagements.

2.  Well rounded selection of HE & AP shell capability.  Their AP is strong enough to punish ships that need to be punished.  Their HE is still very good.  Their shells don't float in the air like USN & French Cruisers.  Their HE shells have both good damage values as well as high fire chance.  Their gunnery is very efficient due to their shell flight behavior and shell damage stats, fire chances.

3.  They eventually adopt long range, 10km torpedoes.  The caveat is that their torp tubes emphasize a rearward launch.

4.  Very respectable speeds.

5.  With points 1-4 above, IJN Cruisers are at their best kiting, doing fighting withdrawals.  They spam shells as they retreat, they can drop torpedoes without showing too much sides as they run away.  Matter of fact, they can retreat, drop torps in stealth as they retreat.  If anyone gets hit by their torps, they can then resume gunfire and set fire on the target that likely had to pop DCP to stop the Flood.

French Cruisers are poor in doing this as their torps while having decent range, they carry very few torps.

USN Cruisers suck in open water fighting, hell, almost all of them lack torpedoes.

German Cruisers have poor torpedo ranges.

Russian Cruisers have bad stealth, bad torpedoes.

RN CLs have the stealth, speed, and decent torpedo ranges, but many lack the torpedo count, and of course, they don't have the HE shells to make someone really pay if they get hit by the torps.

 

The only annoying thing they have is that turret traverse is mediocre with VII Myoko the worst of them.

 

Also, Zao is about to get a very powerful buff... She is going to have 12km torpedoes soon.  She was already the 2nd stealthiest Tier X Cruiser, only Minotaur is sneakier than her.  Zao with the 8km F3 torpedoes could not do the stealth / kite / torpedo / gun spam tactics that many of the other IJN Cruisers could do.  Not with 8km torps.  But with 12km torps?  Meat's back on the menu, boys!

 

Premium Cruiser Selection:  You got VIII Atago, III Katori, and IV Yubari.  Atago is one of the oldest Premiums in the game and is still a rock solid choice at Tier VIII.

 

Lastly, IJN Cruisers is predominantly a CA Line.  Matter of fact, they are the line that starts the CA phase the earliest.  Tier V Furutaka gets 203mm gun access and from there the line is consistent with their gunnery.  Another plus with having so many CAs is that you can look at IFHE and flip it the f--k off.  Use the 4 points for something else.  As a consequence, like other CAs, IJN CAs don't require high point captains.  If you got 10pts you can grab CE and commit to a Stealth Build.  From there you already got the foundations needed for every IJN Cruiser.

yjYAhAG.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
101
[BSL]
Members
718 posts
14,305 battles

While IJN is an excellent choice, I think french may be more fun for a beginner because the IJN reload is a little frustrating.  When I was a noob, I loved the pew pew.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
702 posts
9,924 battles

Don’t listen to anyone here choosing French Crusiers, your going to get your asss kicked, trust me.

Choose IJN, you get the nearly the best in everything.  Stealth, torps, Fire chance, AP damage, etc.  USN is a second place due to armor survivability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[ARRR]
Members
117 posts
2,291 battles

I am of the opinion that if you learn on hard mode, switching to any other mode will be a much easier transition than going from easy to hard, where you have to unlearn bad habits that didn't punish you before. You get a new game, just dive right into the hardest setting, die constantly for a bit, but learn the game in those conditions and you will have become really good. For this reason, I would play US or RN cruisers. Both will instantly and severely punish your mistakes very regularly. You get good at aiming with the floatiest shells, surviving with the thinnest armor and biggest citadels, and learn to really shape a fight to your advantage (because you HAVE to), you will be a very good cruiser player, and picking up another will be a breeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×