You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Madwolf05

I finally saw an Asashio! You wouldn't believe the power!

12 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,700 posts
3,468 battles

Actually, I'm not sure he actually did anything. I couldn't tell if our BBs were cowering in fear, or that's just how bad they normally are. How do you tell?

I got the top ship on the team, in my Tier 8 BB, in a Tier 10 match. I really wish they'd make BBs more difficult to play though, it's so easy just dominating the match with them if you are half way competent. The only thing that can really stop you is a really well played DD that goes unspotted, and actually fires torpedoes at reasonable distances that allow him to hit ships. 

• Bad 1

Members
1,871 posts
5,656 battles

Theoretically, Asashio is an invisible assassin, nuking battleships with impunity while the screening cruisers and destroyers scramble to find her all while the enemy team is taking shots at said screening ships.

In reality, Asashio's torpedoes oftentimes pass by or even under the screening cruisers and destroyers, giving the battleships plenty of time to evade. Not to mention that, since she is virtually helpless against said cruisers and destroyers, most of them will be viciously hunting her in hopes of adding her HP to their damage and XP.

Of course, she can also torpedo carriers, but as long as said carrier isn't being a total potato (shamefully, I've actually been sniped by an Asashio before), she is incredibly vulnerable to being nuked by waves of bombers or just being perma-spotted.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,700 posts
3,468 battles

In theory the Minotaur or DM do the most damage in the game. In practice however...

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts
4,309 battles

It's hard to tell. Even when driven by a good player that doesn't potato on the border spamming 20km torps, it's a very 'all or nothing' ship.

I've had matches where all the enemy BBs were on the flank my Asashio didn't go to, and instead I find all the radar cruisers. Thus resulting in a low damage match simply resulting from the time it took to try and relocate, and the red BBs being dead already by the time I get there.

Sometimes when the red BBs realise there's an Asashio on their flank they will very visibly turn tail and flee, abandoning their cruisers to their death. Great for Asashio's team pushing a flank, not so great for Asashio.

Other times the enemy BBs were very helpful in sailing in perfectly straight lines and dying one by one from full health to zero.

Mileage can vary heavily depending on what MM has given you to work with, and how the red team positions themselves.

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
53 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Mileage can vary heavily depending on what MM has given you to work with, and how the red team positions themselves.

Sounds like me when I was still thought Des Moines was worth playing...

Go towards one flank; whole enemy team shows up and any ‘positioning’ is futile.

Go towards the same flank next time, (surely ‘lightning’ can’t strike twice...) nobody shows up, and the whole team dies before I can get anywhere else even marginally useful...

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,239 posts
1,726 battles
2 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

Actually, I'm not sure he actually did anything. I couldn't tell if our BBs were cowering in fear, or that's just how bad they normally are. How do you tell?

I got the top ship on the team, in my Tier 8 BB, in a Tier 10 match. I really wish they'd make BBs more difficult to play though, it's so easy just dominating the match with them if you are half way competent. The only thing that can really stop you is a really well played DD that goes unspotted, and actually fires torpedoes at reasonable distances that allow him to hit ships. 

try Nagato. They've messed over the dispersion on that ship, and the accuracy to where it's nearly a pile of garbage.. 

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles

I can usually score about 100k dmg in Asashio, although some maps are way better for Asashio than other ones.

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Go towards one flank; whole enemy team shows up and any ‘positioning’ is futile.

Go towards the same flank next time, (surely ‘lightning’ can’t strike twice...) nobody shows up, and the whole team dies before I can get anywhere else even marginally useful...

Not really a DesM problem.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles

I have run into several now in a Battleship and it changed nothing.

So much for controlling BB numbers. If you get sunk by an Asashio you were probably not moving and deserved to be sunk.

[INTEL]
Members
8,440 posts
25,328 battles
21 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

My entire DM game is like this:

"Whew, ok, made it to the island."
"Nice, can lob shells"
"Oh crap, detected"
"DETECTED. Better move back a little"
"Can I leave this island?"
"Oh crap, detected"
"Oh crap, detected"
"Oh crap, detected"
"Can't leave the island yet. At least I can fire at that Yamato."
"Finally! I can leave -- BLAP!"

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
6 hours ago, Pulicat said:

Not really a DesM problem.

True perhaps, but for DM and RN CLs it always has been...

My ‘Feast or Famine’ with those ships has always just been famine...