You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Question about Premium Tier 6 Cruisers

8 comments in this topic

Members
209 posts
4,295 battles

I have another thread about something similar and based off the comments I'm not currently getting the Atago. Since I'm new to cruiser play are either the Molotov or the De Grasse good choices for me? How is there play style different? I'm really enjoying my Perth and I also have the Atlanta that I'm struggling with. Just want a good ship that's easy to play and will help me become a better cruiser player. TIA

Beta Testers
2,858 posts
4,095 battles

molotov don't need IFHE,de grasse rely on IFHE.

both are pretty good ships,molotov is a "sniper" since her hull can't survive a grenade explosion while degrasse is a jack of all trades. you can sniper with de grasse too but her shell flight and dmg can't keep up with molotov railguns.

Edited by Cruxdei

[TF57]
Members
1,251 posts
3,920 battles

I have another thread about something similar and based off the comments I'm not currently getting the Atago. Since I'm new to cruiser play are either the Molotov or the De Grasse good choices for me? How is there play style different? I'm really enjoying my Perth and I also have the Atlanta that I'm struggling with. Just want a good ship that's easy to play and will help me become a better cruiser player. TIA

None.

You buy a premium to earn credits or train a captain. You do not buy a premium to "learn to play" a class.

You learn to play a class by playing ALL the way through a line, without skipping to higher tier cruisers.

That way you do not s---t the bed when you are unprepared for higher tier cruiser play.

Best tip: Make sure you at least 50% WR and average damage at each tier before moving up.  Only use FXP to skip stock modules. Use your stats to tell you when to move up.

Spend a long time at T4 (it has nice MM) and less time at T5 (it has poor MM).

Japanese and Russian cruisers are good vanilla cruiser lines with few lemons. 

There are plenty of "easy to play" tech tree ships. The Budyonny for example is much easier to play than the Molotov and it is FREE.  The T3-4-5 French cruisers are great. The T3-4-5 Japanese cruisers are good.

Skipping straight into higher tier cruiser play without learning the basics means you will "struggle"for sure. Another tip: drive DDs a bit. They teach you a lot about map positioning.

Edited by evilleMonkeigh
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,360 battles

@evilleMonkeighis right. Go up through the tech tree because you will learn more. Buddy is actually better than either of those two Cruisers in most situations.

That said, Molotov is the more fun of the two, high risk, high reward. De Grasse is solid all around. Either is worth having especially for Operations.

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles

If you are new to cruisers, I recommend playing the German or US tech tree cruisers first before buying more premium ships.  The Germans are more forgiving and the US ones are more varied.  The Atlanta is not a typical US cruiser at the moment, there will be more like her later.

if you still struggle, try German battleships.   They are tough and pretty forgiving.

[R-F]
Members
395 posts
14,343 battles
37 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

The Atlanta is not a typical US cruiser at the moment, there will be more like her later.

Funny, because I happen to think Atlanta is the best ship to teach one the US cruiser line. Provided that they can learn from their mistakes.

@crazyferret23777, mate; there are no easy ships to play in this game. All nations have their flavour and all lines have their quirks. And all can be one shotted by a BB at any time.

The Russians and the French have terrible survivability but long range. So you kite and flank and kite at the edge of your range. If someone is shooting at you, you're doing it wrong. Get farther away.

The Germans are kind of the jack-of-all-trades. You still need to adopt a kiting, long-range style play; but they can hold their own at close-range in a pinch. Given that they're driven right.

The Americans are the island huggers. They have neither the range nor the gun handling to be effective at long-range, which means you can't really avoid eating massive damage if caught in the open (because your range limit is where BB guns start to come to their own and you simply don't have enough time to dodge their shells). That's why you hang around islands like your life depends on it (because it does) and stealth-fire over obstacles, constantly moving back and forth to keep your cover and your stealth, not moving out into the open unless you're confident the area is clear, you can stay stealthy while moving or that you can take care of the threat.

The British are like the Americans, except they get a god-tier repair consumable (T8+) and smoke, giving you a false sense of comfort and causing you to be reckless. You play these like the American cruisers. Just pretend you don't have smoke and eventually, you'll be one of the better players on the server.

However, always bear in mind that you're always a single good RNG salvo away from being one-shotted by a BB. Don't be the guy rushing forward and overextending, only to die in 10 seconds and rant about lack of support in chat.

Never rely on your armour in a cruiser. As someone from the [-K-] clan whose name I forgot likes to say; "You don't bounce shells in a cruiser, you dodge them."

Best of luck.

Edited by yacskn

Members
3,654 posts
13,535 battles
3 minutes ago, yacskn said:

Funny, because I happen to think Atlanta is the best ship to teach one the US cruiser line. Provided that they can learn from their mistakes.

I couldn't agree less pard. Atlanta has a very steep learning curve and is unforgiving to inexperienced players. And she aint exactly lovey-dovey to experienced ones either. Ships like Phoenix, Omaha, and Pensacola are better suited for learning USN Cruiser play. Hell, even Indianapolis would be better suited.

[FML]
Members
1,637 posts
9,912 battles
4 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Personally, I've found the French cruiser line pretty forgiving for new players - fairly modern ships, plays logically, decent guns, good torps, strange spaced armour means you dont die in 1 salvo at low tiers... overall pretty solid.  And the De Grasse is a good ship. 

I havent got it, but the Molotov has excellent guns - and that's it.  Often dies to 1 salvo from a battleship (or even other cruisers), so not very forgiving for new players. 

But both are decent ships. 

Stay away from the British cruisers until you're more familiar with the game...

Good luck!