You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Question about the Atago

14 comments in this topic

Members
207 posts
4,253 battles

I've heard great things about her but the problem is I have limited cruiser experience and she costs alot of doubloons. I'm many a BB player but I have a few Premium cruisers and like to play them so I can get better at it. Is the Atago something that would benefit me or is a tier 8 cruiser to high up to help? Please help I don't want to waste my money on something that I will regret. BTW I have the Atlanta and the perth. TIA

Members
2,274 posts
7,331 battles

Atago is a great cruiser, but its hard to play. If you dont have much experience with cruisers i wouldnt recommend Atago. 

Try getting a De Grasse, might be a good choice for a new cruiser player. Its a solid and safe ship to start with.

Edited by Xlap

[TBW]
Members
6,338 posts
11,884 battles

It is a tier 8 so you face tier 10 often.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,795 posts
10 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I've heard great things about her but the problem is I have limited cruiser experience and she costs alot of doubloons. I'm many a BB player but I have a few Premium cruisers and like to play them so I can get better at it. Is the Atago something that would benefit me or is a tier 8 cruiser to high up to help? Please help I don't want to waste my money on something that I will regret. BTW I have the Atlanta and the perth. TIA

Don’t.   Graf Spee instead.

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles

Atago is very dependant on skilled players to make work.  She's a great ship, and will definitely reward your efforts.  As far as I'm aware she's no leaving the premium shop any time soon, so grind up a fully upgraded Furutaka.  If you like the playstyle, Atago will be a good fit for you.  If not, skip her.

[ARRGG]
Members
157 posts
6,925 battles

It is one the first ships , I purchased. There were times, that I did not like using it. But that is the way, with this game and the changes that are made to gameplay.

Edited by Timo_Greenwold

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles

The Atago has 16, 10 km torpedoes. I've sunk a Yamato and a Montana with them and a lot of other ships too. With the proper skills, the Atago can just barely stealth torp too. It's shells are hard-hitting but its reload is a bit slow. It's really more of a support ship than a DD hunter. The heal is nice too. You don't get this with many other cruisers at tier VIII. I don't know whether or not its worth buying as I got mine free from the ARP missions. I do know it's fun though. I have more games in the Atago than in any other ship.

Play a Myoko. If you like the Myoko then you will love the Atago. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

She's not easy to use.  De Grasse is probably the best trainer ship.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles

Atago is sweet since she got heal. If you want to know how you'd do in Atago, play the Furry Taco at tier 5. You will learn to be uptiered against ships superior to yours, both CL and BB, not just CA. You will learn how to play with the slower loading 8 inch guns as opposed to the more rapidly firing 6 inchers. You can learn how a heavy cruiser deals with DDs (and tier 5 has some of the best in the game).  And Atago is a good cruiser that performs well at her tier and uptiered. FYI, none of your Perth / Atlanta experience will count with any CA, they're a whole new ballgame. 

Members
1,119 posts
3,141 battles

Atago is excellent but has a high skill floor. If you're used to playing a battleship than you will find yourself dying often. Atago has great guns (with bad DPM), excellent torpedoes with great arcs but an odd firing angle (one fires forwards the other fires backwards) and the AA isn't anything special. The armor is thin and the citadel sits high up in the water so you will find yourself taking massive chunks of damage if you give broadside. However, if you manage to take advantage of the excellent top speed (35.5 without speed flag IIRC) and great concealment (9.2 fully upgraded!!!) you will be able to put Atago's great guns into use. Atago is difficult but once mastered will be very beneficial to her captain. If you want a challenge, pick this ship. It will pay off in the long run.  

[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,227 battles

I agree with all who said the Atago is a very good ship, but it is not a beginner's boat.  The suggestion to get the De Grasse as a starter for a new cruiser player is a good one.  The De Grasse is a CL, not a CA, so playing it would not necessarily prepare you for the Atago, but it is a well balanced ship that can stand being up-tiered.  It is also about half the price.  

[TF57]
Members
1,238 posts
3,920 battles

I think the idea of using a T6 or T8 for a new cruiser player are both awful.

T3 and T4 are the trainer levels for cruisers.
Can you get a 50% win rate and at least average damage in a St Louis/Friant/Phoenix/Tenryu etc?

If not, then why are you playing at a tier where mistakes are punished more easily?

EDIT: if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy premium time. It makes every ship a premium. earnings and XP-wise.

If you've already got premium time and still and excess of cash, convert free XP so you can skip stock modules.

Unless you are already playing tech tree cruisers at that tier and you want a unique ship or you badly need a captain trainer, there is 0 need for a premium of any sort.

Edited by evilleMonkeigh
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,322 posts
14,695 battles
15 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

I think the idea of using a T6 or T8 for a new cruiser player are both awful.

T3 and T4 are the trainer levels for cruisers.

Sorry, totally disagree here.  T3/4 cruisers are from a different planet.  T5, if anything, is where you start to get the feel for a modern cruiser.  

Personally I love the Atago, but almost every other premium cruiser is a better start.  If you love high alpha strikes I would point you to Graf Spee or Molotov, although Graf Spee is considerably more forgiving.

Edited by Warped_1

Members
1,865 posts
5,656 battles

It's recommended that you go play some other tech-tree cruisers first, in particular the IJN cruisers, since they'll give you the best idea of what to expect when playing Atago.

As for transitioning from battleships to cruisers, there are a few general things to keep in mind:

• your armor and angling thereof is a lot less effective: quite a few battleships will not care at all if you're bow-on, as that only means they'll get penetrations instead of citadel hits
  • with that being said, going broadside is an even worse decision since, unlike battleships, literally everything can citadel you
  • unlike with most BBs, cruisers must use both HE and AP in order to succeed: a Hindenburg firing AP at a bow-on Yamato will only get laughed at before said Yamato removes a good portion of the Hindenburg's HP
  • torpedoes are NOT your primary weapon, however tempting it may seem, and rushing to use them will only get you sunk faster than you can say "wrong move"
  • maneuvering may save your life, and is a lot more feasible in a cruiser than in a battleship, so do it
  • you cannot sustain heavy fire, so you must either use islands or your teammates as shields to soak up enemy fire while you do your work
  • most cruisers can choose between hydroacoustic search (which increases the detection radius of torpedoes and enemy ships—but not to the same extent as radar) or defensive fire (which boosts the general power of one's AA and also completely messes up a CV's attack), but not both: choose carefully
  • know how to manage your concealment: if you're at low health and there's a nearby enemy BB engaging a friendly BB, the difference between firing before the enemy BB fires and after could be the difference between your death and you having enough time to slip behind an island
Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Cool 1