You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

I'd like some criticism please. Don't be afraid to say no it's horrible.

28 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts

No this isn't click bait lol.  But I'm slowly teaching myself how to edit videos and cut clips out and splice them back together.  This is only my second one.  Basically it is a montage of my ship just getting destroyed.  There are no detonations in it.  If there was that would be cool.  But there isn't.  There are some parts of the video where I think I jacked it up.  I threw on some appropriate music to the destruction of the ships at least I think lol.  But please I would love to hear your feed back good or bad and thanks ahead of time.   Enjoy hope you all get a good laugh out of this.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,058 battles

I just don't see the point about making a vid where you only get destroyed lol 

Members
3,774 posts
12 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I just don't see the point about making a vid where you only get destroyed lol 

Well actually it gives me practice of cutting and sniping the video deleting parts I don't want and then cropping two different videos together.

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

1. Frame rate needs to be stable, even if that means reducing some settings. Worse graphics are better than slideshows.

2. Some clips go on for too long. For a video about you constantly dying, there are sizable chunks of it in which the dying part is very slow.

3. Just a video of deaths isn't that entertaining. There needs to be more to it, like personal reactions, the tactics/thought process that lead to the current situation, and/or memes. It's like hearing the punchline of a joke but nothing else

Though you really shouldn't take the words of a guy who only records and posts full replays of good games without any editing very seriously. Try asking some of the bigger video contributors on how they produce their content, they'll give you better tips than I ever could.

Members
3,774 posts
1 minute ago, Flashtirade said:

1. Frame rate needs to be stable, even if that means reducing some settings. Worse graphics are better than slideshows.

2. Some clips go on for too long. For a video about you constantly dying, there are sizable chunks of it in which the dying part is very slow.

3. Just a video of deaths isn't that entertaining. There needs to be more to it, like personal reactions, the tactics/thought process that lead to the current situation, and/or memes. It's like hearing the punchline of a joke but nothing else

Though you really shouldn't take the words of a guy who only records and posts full replays of good games without any editing very seriously. Try asking some of the bigger video contributors on how they produce their content, they'll give you better tips than I ever could.

Thanks as I said I'm still learning how to do this.

Members
31 posts
537 battles

I would say the music doesn't really sync well with the content. And for that matter I feel your genre is totally inappropriate for the content.

Don't want stuff like loading screens, etc

What editing software are you using? Does it give you many options?

Members
3,774 posts
19 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I would say the music doesn't really sync well with the content. And for that matter I feel your genre is totally inappropriate for the content.

Don't want stuff like loading screens, etc

What editing software are you using? Does it give you many options?

Well again remember I'm still learning how to do this.  So it's all experimental at the moment I am using VideoPad Video Editor.  It's not cheap either.

Edited by torpsRus

[WORX]
Members
1,651 posts
12,706 battles

From  a musical POV, you have rhythm and blues  which means hardship, misery, despair, you have the sound mood down pack. The visuals on the other hand, don't enforce what the music mood have set. IF you're going to set the mood music wise, I recommend matching the visual aspect to the music. I also recommend, 3 -5 sec of the video before the hardship/being deleted.    So in the end, the essence is this video is the hardship of the game, I would say music wise you nailed it. Visual side its a work in progress. GL and HF

Members
450 posts
12,232 battles

Your content nerds to reach out and grab us. Show exciting play and crop it down to its bare essence. Clips of cruisers under 5k health getting blapped by BBs or watching your last seconds in a match do not grab attention unless something really unique happens.

People will forgive technical errors and weak soundtracks if the content holds their attention.

[REVY]
Members
6,025 posts
5,102 battles
1 hour ago, torpsRus said:

No this isn't click bait lol.  But I'm slowly teaching myself how to edit videos and cut clips out and splice them back together.  This is only my second one.  Basically it is a montage of my ship just getting destroyed.  There are no detonations in it.  If there was that would be cool.  But there isn't.  There are some parts of the video where I think I jacked it up.  I threw on some appropriate music to the destruction of the ships at least I think lol.  But please I would love to hear your feed back good or bad and thanks ahead of time.   Enjoy hope you all get a good laugh out of this.

I found that good practice in learning how to edit is by repurposing trailers with a different media.  Like so:

That way you understand timing without having to figure it all out from scratch, and you make an entertaining video on top of that.

Like one of these reboot movie trailers using the original series

Or this fanwank trailer I made a long time ago about Kirk vs Picard.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
341 posts
6,573 battles

1: You should aim to have the music match certain points in the video. The music wasn't bad, but it wasn't as … "exciting" I suppose for lack of a better word. A little too mellow for something involving explosions for my liking.

2: Playing the music is ok, but I would also personally attempt to time each explosion to something in line with the music's beat instead of random explosion at random moment in the tune. Can also work (with blues music) to take the time to pause a scene to get the music and follow ups in line. (See suggestion number 5 for potential ideas maybe)

3: Choppy video's aren't always looked upon favorably. Lag spikes every now and then can distract audience momentarily. Not personally a big one for me, but there are some who wouldn't like to see it. Also, if that's what you have to deal with due to technical or connection issues, then really that's what you have to deal with and it shouldn't stop you from making said videos. It really wasn't that impactful.

4: 1:30 video (the whole part) seemed to have dragged on a bit longer than it should have. A scene this long would be better served doing some buildup to the actual explosion rather than just seeing the ship at half health and/or already nearly dead. Either you are sailing around doing well then BOOM! You get hit hard and then very quickly die while being focused down. Or show everyone doing all well (or poorly; you know "Blues") and then you get smacked around like a unwanted stepchild before dying. Obviously you may have to do a bit of gaming to get the right moment/s to compile something nice.

5: As stated before, a bit of commentary, maybe even some zoomed in part of chat might be worth looking into. It can give you time to connect the music to the next video, or setup a punchline for the following event. "I'm going to tank for everyone!" 5sec later "5 Citadels." response: "X_X". I don't really know, but Everyone loves a bit of drama ;)

To me personally, Blue's music is more often than not a sad tale (not always but generally that's what you get with it) and/or told rather slowly as it's also commonly a story of sorts. Both of which work well with what you are portraying (BB's woes), but you'd have to setup the mood a bit better and probably slow down the individual videos to get the actual "story" of the ending explosion. If you want a explosion fest, find something a bit more in line with rock or something with a faster beat. Please, for the love of god, no death metal XD

I'm sure you've seen the torpedo videos where that really fast (annoying) music starts to play? Well, that's because it's "exciting" and those close calls are dramatic. Some music works better than others at portraying different scenes. Hope this might help you in your endeavors.

• Cool 1

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
226 posts
3,092 battles

You should try and cut just the action/funny moments etc... Loading screens, into battle etc that is all dead weight. Also should definitely get it running at smooth fps as it's quite choppy. I don't think Warships makes great montage material because of the pace of the game though...

Edited by Stand_Alone97

Members
3,774 posts

It's been challenging only day two of trying this out.  I think what I can do to is take the different videos I think I can actually edit them one by one.  You know put one video in my editor at a time and crop it.  Then move on to the next here is what my editor looks like.  The way I'm trying to teach myself is actually using the same content that of which I will be actually using for better videos.  So basically taking stuff from the game editing it down and what not.  Just as in real life I've been learning to make blades with the right type of steel (example).

Capture.PNG

[REVY]
Members
6,025 posts
5,102 battles
2 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

It's been challenging only day two of trying this out.  I think what I can do to is take the different videos I think I can actually edit them one by one.  You know put one video in my editor at a time and crop it.  Then move on to the next here is what my editor looks like.  The way I'm trying to teach myself is actually using the same content that of which I will be actually using for better videos.  So basically taking stuff from the game editing it down and what not.  Just as in real life I've been learning to make blades with the right type of steel (example).

Capture.PNG

That looks like a really primitive editor that only has one video track and one audio track.  Have you considered Adobe Premiere Pro?  Or Sony Vegas Pro?

Members
3,774 posts

Its actually the premium version I can put in multiple videos at once from that I can also upload directly to youtube.

Edited by torpsRus

[REVY]
Members
6,025 posts
5,102 battles
3 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Its actually the premium version I can put in multiple videos at once 

So by "put in multiple videos at once" you mean make the sequence field look like this?

AEneH1R.jpg

[REVY]
Members
6,025 posts
5,102 battles
1 minute ago, torpsRus said:

It does not look like that

Without multiple video tracks and audio tracks, your end product will be severely limited.  You cannot add sound effects, and you cannot properly blend music tracks together.  And you will waste a lot of time cutting video apart and piecing them back together with the right timing.

Members
3,774 posts

With the sound tracks I've been using YouTube to add them in.  Perhaps later on down the road once I get better at this I'll invest in a better video editor but for now that is what I have at my fingertips.

[REVY]
Members
6,025 posts
5,102 battles
3 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

With the sound tracks I've been using YouTube to add them in.  Perhaps later on down the road once I get better at this I'll invest in a better video editor but for now that is what I have at my fingertips.

Sure, get some practice.  But note the difference in quality:

Something I made with the free Windows Movie Maker 11 years ago:

Vs something I was able to create with Adobe Premiere Pro 7 years ago.  (Yes I know Nelson won that battle, it's called "alternate battle")

The difference is night and day and I believe 75% of it was the tools I was using.

Members
3,774 posts

I definitely appreciate all the feed back.  Thanks guys.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Glad you're taking the leap into this. 

I've been thinking of doing the same. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Wulfgarn