You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HarryVoyager

Counterplay against CVs with limited/no AA?

23 comments in this topic

[90THD]
Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

Exactly what it says on the tin. What are the counterplays against carriers when you have little to know AA guns? Basically just spent the last several minute or so of the game circling under TBs while the CV waited for the fire to burn out to drop torps. Still manged to evade four of the six torpedos, but trying to figure out what, if anything I could have done better. Tier IV match, Arkansas Beta.

[ICOP]
Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

WASD

I made a similar post the other day after I got cross torped in my St. Louis twice in under a minute.  Evaded one. took two the next time, and finally got torped by a third attack.  All in a ship that has an AA rating of 3!  I was bottom tier in a T4 match.  It happens.

Not fun, but it makes it even better when you melt a CV down late in another match.  :)

[VW]
Members
1,832 posts
12,276 battles

Wasd isnumber one. Number two is to always manually focus your aa and actively target his planes while sailing with friendlies. Low tier cv dont have many planes, so each plane you kill is one less available late game.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1

Members
3,774 posts

Bob and Weave that's all I can say just learn to bob and weave.  Never sail in a straight line.  When the planes are trying to hit you start turning in a large circle, be a "circle jerk" the planes have a harder time.  Especially if the cv player can't yet manual drop.

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

In the same way that being shot at constantly by a skilled opponent is almost always going to result in some damage taken no matter how much you dodge, you're almost always not going to escape a good CV drop unscathed.

Sounds like you tried the best you could. I'd say only taking 2 in a ship that doesn't even have a pistol's worth of AA is commendable, but I don't think you could have done more unless the CV player really messed up.

[NO]
Members
360 posts
12,840 battles

Dodging and weaving is good, but that is only good as the last option. The preferred option is to minimize the chance that the cv target you in the beginning. This comes down to positioning. 

1) watch top CV game play. (Farazelleth/Femmenely etc etc) learn what they drop and why. Learn about AA bubbles that they are force to circumvent. 

2) try and place yourself in these spots that cvs hate to go for. Or have those bubbles be between you and the cv flight path. You can also be out of position as long as there is another juicer target 

3) if no bubbles then just go within aa support range of other ships so at least you are not alone and there is chance they drop you.

this should minimize the chances cv go for you and when they do go for you. Well... you gotta learn how to dodge and weave.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

in t4 there is no appreciable AA to hide under.  You pretty much bend over and take it.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ASHIP]
Members
582 posts
5,212 battles

So, as a BB there's a number of strategic decisions you could make to counter a CV, such as sailing with friends, trying to get a high AA ship to go into the center of the map, not making yourself the obvious target and praying that the CV on your team is better.

At the more micro level when you're already being dropped, it is important that you focus the torpedo bombers. They are by far the biggest threat, and any other planes (both fighters and dive bombers) should be ignored. By control+left clicking a squadron you can focus all your AA power on it. Try to sail away from the incoming torpedo bombers for as long as possible to increase the time your AA has to work them over, but once the enemy torpedo bombers have chosen a side it is important that you turn hard in towards them while also slowing down. If you do this it is very likely that you will be hit with at least some torpedoes (especially if the enemy CV is decent), but it will make it near impossible to one shot you. Note that slowing down will make it impossible to dodge any subsequent waves, so you may want to keep up the speed if the CV is staggering his drops. Also note that torpedoes have a minimum arming time. If they are dropped too close (perhaps because you're sailing close to an island) they will simply bounce off your hull without exploding and do no damage.

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

T4? there's literally only 1 ship that can even provide decent AA in T4.

In T4, since AA is so awful on all ships, there's almost zero benefit from sailing together

WASD only works against auto drops, but you're still going to take 1 or 2 hits

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,486 posts
8,034 battles
1 hour ago, HarryVoyager said:

Exactly what it says on the tin. What are the counterplays against carriers when you have little to know AA guns? Basically just spent the last several minute or so of the game circling under TBs while the CV waited for the fire to burn out to drop torps. Still manged to evade four of the six torpedos, but trying to figure out what, if anything I could have done better. Tier IV match, Arkansas Beta.

The same counter play you make agains a dd spotting at the edge of his detection range reloading his wall of torpedoes.

Members
2,442 posts
12,175 battles
1 hour ago, HarryVoyager said:

Sweet baby heyzuz, ...wait till yo come across a pro tier ten cv. he will triple cross drop you and take your sammich money... for low tier play...simply turn towards the planes and make yourself as skinny as you can no matter how fat you are.

• Funny 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,524 posts
3,515 battles

Personally I go half rudder into the bombers right as they approach, then full rudder right as they come in, if times right you can slip between 2 torpedos or just eat one torp to the nose

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,012 posts
9,566 battles

play Euro-beats!

it works for me! here I'll give you a song to try it with!:fish_aqua:

[INTEL]
Members
8,430 posts
25,296 battles
2 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

Dont sail alone.

my favorite advice: totally unreal and impossible.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,012 posts
9,566 battles

BTW, if anyone wants more Eurobeat music. I posted a set of songs on my X-mas event last year. just use the tags Bladed, and Eurobeat in the forum search to find the threads and you'll have your beats! (dodging results may vary!):Smile_hiding:

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

Sweet baby heyzuz, ...wait till yo come across a pro tier ten cv. he will triple cross drop you and take your sammich money... for low tier play...simply turn towards the planes and make yourself as skinny as you can no matter how fat you are.

lol

Torpedo Beats in a South Carolina... :Smile_teethhappy:

1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

T4? there's literally only 1 ship that can even provide decent AA in T4.

In T4, since AA is so awful on all ships, there's almost zero benefit from sailing together

WASD only works against auto drops, but you're still going to take 1 or 2 hits

Yubari lulz...

Such a shocker to some poor CV player who hasn’t been around long.

WASD is better than you might think; but it takes lots of experience to really get down the best timing for dodging attacks.

[C-HAG]
Members
481 posts
7,690 battles

If the enemy CV is good and friendly CV is bad

Exit to port or yolo to save your time

[C-HAG]
Members
481 posts
7,690 battles
3 hours ago, Taichunger said:

my favorite advice: totally unreal and impossible.

I have a better suggestion above.

[INTEL]
Members
8,430 posts
25,296 battles
31 minutes ago, Plaatduutsch said:

I have a better suggestion above.

Youre right. But we get punished for exiting now, sadly.

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles
6 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

Dont sail alone.

At low tiers all that does is give the CV bunched up targets.

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yubari lulz...

Such a shocker to some poor CV player who hasn’t been around long.

Yeah, I've surprised some low tier chicken coop drivers with Yubari. While they weren't epic A/C massacres they did convince the CV drivers to leave me alone.  :cap_rambo:

• Funny 1