Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11B4O

Neptune?

7 comments in this topic

[KP]
Members
1,994 posts
18,368 battles

I took rudder shift but it's Accel is so crappy I think I'm gonna take Accelvmod over rudder. I sat and watched a skill wall come in that in any other cruiser I could have east just hit W,W,W and drove away. Anyone out there running acceleration? If so how do you like it on Neptune?

[TF16B]
Members
8,040 posts
16,978 battles

Neptune might be a question mark, but the last RN cruiser I used accel on (Leander,)  it didn't seem to do any good.

+whatever% of sluggy acceleration is just a slightly faster slug...?

• Cool 1

[STURM]
Members
266 posts
2,753 battles
1 hour ago, IronMike11B4O said:

I took rudder shift but it's Accel is so crappy I think I'm gonna take Accelvmod over rudder. I sat and watched a skill wall come in that in any other cruiser I could have east just hit W,W,W and drove away. Anyone out there running acceleration? If so how do you like it on Neptune?

45 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Neptune might be a question mark, but the last RN cruiser I used accel on (Leander,)  it didn't seem to do any good.

+whatever% of sluggy acceleration is just a slightly faster slug...?

I'm really not sure what you guys are talking about. First of all, the British cruisers all have great acceleration from standstill, across the line. And second, they cannot equip propulsion mod 2 in slot 4 at all. They basically have it equipped for free.

Or am I misreading what you guys are talking about? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused about this right now. 

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,160 battles

RN cruisers were always underpowered by design due to the very strict respect of treaty tonnage limitations, budget constraints and very conservative engineering practices imposed by the Engineer-in-Chief, who refused to test or adopt high temperature/high steam pressure boilers and turbines pre-war and early war. Only the pressure of 4 years of war and experience in operating with the USN, which had integrated high pressure high temperature double reduction geared machinery plants in all classes of ship from the Mahans onwards which outperformed anything produced in the UK up until the Darings were constructed postwar. Even in a game like this, there has to be some remote semblance to reality at times

[TF16B]
Members
8,040 posts
16,978 battles
27 minutes ago, Baskerville77 said:

I'm really not sure what you guys are talking about. First of all, the British cruisers all have great acceleration from standstill, across the line. And second, they cannot equip propulsion mod 2 in slot 4 at all. They basically have it equipped for free.

Leander was a junkheap that couldn't accellerate itself out of a wet paper bag. God forbid you desperately needed to slow down for ANY reason, not just to use smoke, because it couldn't do that either.

[STURM]
Members
266 posts
2,753 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Leander was a junkheap that couldn't accellerate itself out of a wet paper bag. God forbid you desperately needed to slow down for ANY reason, not just to use smoke, because it couldn't do that either.

What?

I mean, I agree with you on Leander's trashheap status and bad de-acceleration, but she has anything but bad acceleration.

I took the Leander into a training room to see how fast it starts moving, and it did 0-30 knots in about 10 seconds. The Italian Duke, the second most manuverable tier 6 cruiser I have, took about 25 seconds to do the same.

That's not just good acceleration, that's execellent.

Besides, as I said above, no Royal Navy light cruiser in the game at present can mount the acceleration mod. Not Neptune, not Leander, not even the Belfast. It is not an option.

[TF16B]
Members
8,040 posts
16,978 battles
10 minutes ago, Baskerville77 said:

That's not just good acceleration, that's execellent.

ymmv? Whatever I managed to do wrong, Leander never seemed to acceleate for me at any prace approaching usefulness.

The only RN cruiser I ever liked was Emerald... (apparently I'm that 100-th or 1,000-th person who liked it, vs the 99 or 999 who hated Emerald...)

The three after Emerald quickly proved themselves to not be worth the effort. My spotters always managed to get killed, redending attempts to smoke-fire worthless, and my perception was the shells did nothing but richochet or shatter, no matter what part of a target I fired at.

I know lots of players swear by the RN cruisers, but I hate the damn things, including Belfast, (Emerald being an exception; and Perth sorta-kinda as well; which is odd, considering how much I dislike Leander...)

Sign in to follow this