You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EasyEight

Which top 2-3 BB classes would you focus on grinding?

11 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
143 posts
6,529 battles

Howdy all,

I've been kind of bouncing all over the place and have been trying to go up tier on each nation for BBs, but each new ship class one takes more effort to grind - thinking I should focus for  bit.  What are your favorites BBs to go for, and why should I focus on them?  

1. Should I push the IJN BBs from Amagi (T8) up a tier to the Izumo?

2. Should I push the USN BBs from Iowa (T9) up a tier to the Montana?

3. Should I push the KM BBs from F Der Grosse (T9) up a tier to the G Kurfurst?

4. Should I push the UK BB from Queen Elizabeth (T6) tier to the KG 5th?

5. Should I push the French BBs up a tier from Lyon (T7) to the Richeliu?

Cheers!

Members
805 posts
2,358 battles

Personally, I would get both the Tier 9's out of the way first with Montana being first.

Members
6,616 posts
25,214 battles

I would go Montana 1st, GK second (I like both).

French are nice too all the way to Republique .

I don't care for Izumo or Yamato, and I have all T10 BBs.

[STW-D]
Members
1,835 posts
5,651 battles

If you want a good mix of styles, I'd recommend the IJN, American, and German lines.

• IJN for more distant combat
  • USN for mid-range combat
  • KMS for close-range combat

The French is an interesting mix of gameplay styles, mostly USN and KMS IMO, while the British, especially in the higher tiers, are mostly long-range HE spammers (there's a reason why Conqueror is infamous).

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Cool 1

360 posts
194 battles

I'm up to Tier 8 in both US and Germany, and will probably focus US first, as my clan prefers them over other BBs for Clan Battles.

[-THOR]
Members
547 posts
3,108 battles

I'd go from Iowa to Montana and Lyon to Richelieu

[WOLF9]
Members
3,134 posts

Depends on which ones YOU like best.   You must have an opinion by now.

As for me,  I ground the US line to tier 10- because I liked ALL of them.  Some more than others.   Now, I'm working on German and French.  

I'm eager to get my hands on both Bismarck and Alsace.      Since I started the FR line at Lyon, (as it was the first of the free ship missions I completed) I'm also working my way through the low tier ones.   So far, I like them nearly as much as my USN ones.   On Richelieu now, and not fond of it- because I don't like all forward or 2 turret ships much.  (and this one really showcases the bad dispersion characteristics of the French quad turrets.   The other FR drawback of slow traverse just makes it more irritating)

Germans are more hit and miss, as the line is kind of a mish mash of different BB ideas.  On Gneisenau now.

The British line I'm at Queen Elizabeth, which I like,  grinding for King George V.  I'll likely stop there, as the rest don't really interest me.  KGV I'm very much looking forward to!

IJN I stopped after Kongo.  I just didn't like them.

[SIDE]
Members
1,200 posts
8,657 battles

I'd go french and british because their playstyles are different than your standard BB.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
143 posts
6,529 battles

Thanks for the comments. Kind of reluctant to push up tier with UK BBs since I don't like how they are HE spammers, when that's not borne out bu WW2 history. 

[BIER]
Members
58 posts
1,132 battles

Honestly, given what you have:

• The Iowa is fun and playable. Montana is nicer, but not that much different. Upgrade when you feel like it.
  • FDG is crappy. Replace it with the GKF right away, and love life.
  • Amagi is fun. Izumo is awful. Yamato is meh.  Avoid this grind completely, and you'll be happy.  You can always get the Mutsashi as a FreeXP Yamato-clone at T9, and have just as much fun.
  • Moving from the Lyon to the Richeleiu is a crapshoot - some people really like the All-Front arrangement, some people hate it.  But the T9 Alsace is a blast. I'd grind for the Alsace even if you don't like the Richeleiu.  I didn't really like the T10 Republique - the Alsace was more fun, so I sold the Republique and just kept the Alsace.
  • I'm not a fan at all of the RN BBs. They all seemed pretty blah.   I just play the T7 Nelson reward ship, and that satisfied my desire. 

So, here's what I would do (in priority order):

1. Upgrade the FDG to the GKF and sell the FDG.
  2. Don't ever bother with the IJN BB line above the Amagi. FreeXP the Musashi when you can, if you want a "I blast through anything" guns.
  3. FreeXP the Nelson, and just sell all your other RN BBs.
  4. Keep the Lyon, grind to the Richelieu. If you like the Richelieu playstyle, keep it, otherwise sell it; in both cases, grind to the Alsace right away.  Be aware that the captain for the Lyon, Richelieu, and Alsace are all quite different, so you'll need to respec if you move one up.
  5. Keep playing the Iowa. If you really feel like it's not sufficient, then replace it with the Montana, but don't feel obligated to. I wouldn't keep both an Iowa and Montana in my port, through. One or the other.
Edited by LAnybody

[BSL]
Members
719 posts
14,307 battles

I'm still trying to get along with Monty and Yami.  I play Conq, Rep, and GK a lot and really enjoy them.  Like @Lert, it seem I don't win in Conq...but don't know why.  I bought back Alsace because it is sooo different than Republique and is really fun to play.